1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 71 Maverick Grabber Build..... Update - DIY turbo kit fab started 6/9/12!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by franktf, Jun 6, 2010.

1. franktf

Re: My 71 Maverick Grabber Build.....

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

2. franktf

Got a little more done today..... Had to do a little side job before I could start on the car, gotta pay for this crap one way or another......

The early Mustang cowl repair panels came this week, so I removed the ring from the driver side panel and welded it in to replace the one on my car..... Then I looked over the pass side too figure where to cut it out and replace..... I am modifying the Mustang pass side repair panel to fit the hole I made, it's about 80% ready to install..... Hopefully I will get it in tomorrow morning.....

Almost forgot I got some nice carbon fibre wall art this week.....

Here's the driver side after welding in the new ring.....

Here's the pass side after cutting out the bad stuff.....

and here is what the repair panel looks like so far.....

3. Turbohwagon

who makes the CF grabber hood???

4. franktf

MaverickMan.com, he makes a Grabber and a Cowl for the Mav's.....

Worked on the pass side repair panel today..... It probably about 75% welded in, what a pita..... Some of the factory cowl metal is like paper thin, I think I put about 9000 tacks on that thing to create a weld..... Oh well, it's almost in.....

Here's what it looks like so far.....

5. TwoFastT3s

You are doing this thing right! I love the hood btw. Keep at it man, really nice job! :cheers:

Nate

6. franktf

I'm tryin too anyways and Thanks.....

7. rdakota340

Yea it getting some good attenion looking great,I be able to catch up on the reading on the build when I get done moving and get the computer up and running,keep up the nice work Frank that hood is awsome man.

8. franktf

I Finished welding in the pass side cowl repair today..... Then I got the first coat of POR15 on the cowl area.....

9. 87Saleen209

From a '72 Maverick Sprint owner.... Nice job!

10. quarterstang86

Nice progress. Your doing all your builds out of a 1.5 / 2 car garage?

It will be funny telling stories about the grabber blue color primer overspray on the floor. I can just see someone walking up and asking what the hell you had in there.

11. franktf

Thanks.....

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! There's already some blue epoxy on the floor now..... But that's not all there is, there is some rasberry color still showing in a few places from when I painted my fathers old 33 5 window about 8 years ago and some seafoam green from one of my old 65 Stang builds even longer then that ago.....

Got a second coat of POR15 on the inner cowl area this morning..... I also cleaned up the upper cowl panel and coated the underside and ends with POR15..... I think I'll go down tomorrow night and put some blue epoxy on the center of the inner cowl where you can see through whe the upper panel is on, and get a little seam sealer on the welded areas so I can get the upper panel back on next weekend..... I didn't take any pic's today cause there wasn't much too see.....

12. franktf

Put some brushable seam sealer on the welds of the cowl repairs..... Also put a coat of blue epoxy primer on the center areas of the inner cowl..... After the set up up I clamped the upper cowl panel in place..... It's ready to start welding the cover back on now.....

13. franktf

Plug welded the cowl cover back on today..... Just need to get the 2 end braces ready to put back on and this mess is done.....

14. franktf

Prepped and welded the cowl supports on today..... I just have a little minor clean up to do and then I can prime it.....

15. domn8rx

16. franktf

Thanks.....

I was thinking about doing something like that, but I am not sure the effort is worth it..... I can't put the subframe connectors in on a rotissare due to body flex and deflection, the car really needs to be blocked up on the rockers and leveled to do that kind of work even though it sucks to work on the ground.....

17. franktf

This morning I finished cleaning up the cowl area, masked everything off that needed to be and epoxy primed it..... I had a little problem on the top of the flats on the cowl, the primer fish eyed or seperated(you can kind of see it in the last 2 pic's)..... I am not sure why but at least it didn't do it in the vent area where it would be a bitch to sand down.....

I also went over to a friend's shop and swapped the rear tires on to some old stock steel wheel just for roll around purposes..... I am going to do the other 2 on monday, then I can clean these chrome wheels up and try to sell them.....

Here's the pic's of the primed cowl.....

18. franktf

I stopped by Home Depot this morning on the way to the shop for some needed supplies to work on the car..... Here's what I picked up.....

I believe strongly in keeping everthing square and level when working on structual components of the chassis..... This is why I got the above items, so I could block the car up square and level to do the front torque box repairs, floor pans and install the frame connectors and such.....

After getting everything ready I rough cut the center out of the top panels of the torque boxes to better evaluate how I will repair them..... It is fortunate that the rust was contained in the top panel of the torque boxes.....

This is after I trimmed the driver side closer..... I am going to include some extra reinforcement in my repairs which of course I will show and document as I go for those who are interested....

19. franktf

Got all the bad stuff cut out and trimmed up on the driver side torque box.....

Then I cut a piece of 1 x 2 tube to reinforce the back edge of the torque box..... Here it is fitted in place.....

Next I cut a piece of 1/8" plate to fill the gap between the bottom of the 1 x 2 and the bottom plate of the torque box..... 1st pic's show the gap and the 2nd is with the plate fitted.....

Here is the tube and plate welded together on the bench.....

Here the tube has been reinstalled and welded in place from the top and bottom.....

20. badride5

It's really looking good! :welder: Making me wish I had one.

bridal-shoal