1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 71 Maverick Grabber Build..... Update - DIY turbo kit fab started 6/9/12!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by franktf, Jun 6, 2010.

1. franktf

Re: My 71 Maverick Grabber Build.....

Did some rust repair today and got it almost ready for some more epoxy primer..... This is what I consider proper rust repair.....

Here is the hole after I cut out the rust.....

With the patch cut and fitted.....

After welding and grinding.....

2. franktf

Also repaired around the driver side tail light and rolled the lip on the rear fenderwell openings..... I also sanded everything else in prep for epoxy primer.....

Before and after of the tail light opening.....

3. Turbohwagon

Nice work.

4. franktf

Thanks.....

Got the rest of it in epoxy primer this morning, and got it back on the tires again..... Now I can get back to stripping the front end, then remove the cowl for clean up.....

5. badride5

That primer looks good! Looks like meant to be flat. I'd drive that with a big grin - :chacha:

6. rdakota340

Did not know you can get the primers in cool colors that does awsome.

7. franktf

I really does look pretty good.....

The PPG DP Epoxy comes in several colors, Black - Light Gray - Red Oxide - Green there may be others too..... I am sure other manufactures have colors too..... Also alot of the urathane high build primers are tintable to most colors.....

8. Chris91LX

Holy crap, your going to build this thing from the ground up before I get my turbo kit on. :eek: Nice work! :bow:

9. franktf

I don't know about that cause this coud take a while.....

Well I pick up a couple fenders, drivers door and some super clean front marker light assemblies Monday night..... The fenders look really clean, doesn't look like the drivers door has ever been rusty plus the door came with a set of unmollested hinges which I really needed.....

10. Shagwell

You're doing a killer job. Nice "resto/mod". Definitely a very clean shell for it's age.

Same basic front suspension as the early mustangs huh? The best way I know to work with that front suspension....a plasma and a tubing bender.....lol
    [​IMG]#ad

11. franktf

Thanks, and yes basically the same suspension as the early Mustangs..... I won't be doing any tube conversions on this one though.....

I had to clean and reorganize the shop this morning which took a while..... I did get a little more stripping done on the front of the car...... I really wish this damn heat go away, it's just wearing me out.....

12. franktf

Finished stripping the rest of the front except for where the suspension is which will get finished when the suspension is removed..... Now I guess it's time to get the old spot weld drill out to start removing the cowl for preventative rust treatment.....

13. Juiced5o

looking great Frank, there need to be more guys building these cars

BTW I'm a Hot Wheels collector and came accross this, PM me with a address and it's yours

pics 108.JPG #ad

14. franktf

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I already have a couple of those sitting on my desk right now.....

15. rdakota340

I tell ya you are getting that thing done I wish I had the time right now to work on mine it sure is coming along great :2thumbs:

16. TwoFastT3s

Nice build! :cheers:

Nate

17. franktf

I am just trying to make steady progress on it, I have only been working on it Sat and Sun mornings for a little while..... This damn heat is stopping me from getting anything done during the week, after working in day.....

Thanks.....

18. franktf

I removed the cowl this morning, not too bad a job..... It took about 2.5 hours to get it removed..... I did find a little more rust then I was hoping for, but not horrible..... I stripped all the paint and wire brushed all the loose stuff from the cowl area to better survey the damage.....

The vent ring on the driver side needs to be replaced, it's got a couple small holes after trying to clean it up..... On the pass side the ring is mostly gone and the wall behind it needs some repair.....

I think I can use the pieces from early Mustang cowl repair panels to repair mine, but I need to do a little research on that later today.....

Here's some pic's of it coming apart.....

and here it is after cleaning it up.....

19. franktf

Went down for a while this morning, got the underside of the cowl and inside of the firewall stripped...... The I removed the vent rings from the cowl in preperation for repair.....

I ordered a pair of early Mustang cowl repair panels, I can use the pieces out of them to repair the ones on the Mav.....

Pic's of the under cowl/inner firewall stripped.....

After rings were removed and area cleaned up.....

20. domn8rx

You better keep this one!! In this heat!!! Looks good Frank

john