1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 71 Maverick Grabber Build..... Update - DIY turbo kit fab started 6/9/12!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by franktf, Jun 6, 2010.

1. rdakota340

Re: My 71 Maverick Grabber Build.....

All & all it is still a pretty solid car for the age,it don't take long to start tearing things apart to get to the bare of things!

2. franktf

Not bad at all, and no it doesn't seem to take long.....

Got some more stuff off this morning before going to the movies and dinner with my parents for fathers day..... Removed the last piece of fuel line and front shocks..... Also removed the mirrors, arm rest and door panels..... Then got the door and hinges off too..... Last thing I did today was to scrape all the old seam sealer off the door post and cowl area, everthing looks pretty good with a minimal of rust in a couple seams where the sealer was falling out.....

Here's the pic's, the last one is of the extra wiring that I pulled from under the hood and dash(atleast I haven't found any of the factory harness hacked up yet).....

3. Turbohwagon

Nice car, Watching. :D

4. rdakota340

How are you going prepare for the new sealer,are going to wire wheel the seams are sand plast the areas?

5. franktf

Thanks.....

Probably wire brush/wheel, possibly snad blast..... It will also be protected with POR15..... I don't know if you have ever used there metal prep and marine clean but that stuff works crazy good..... Metal prep will actually dissolve rust and you wash the bulk of it away.....

6. rdakota340

Yep the por15 stuff is great I used the some green stuff from Advance auto parts on the Dakota the frame on it was nasty rusty looking when I pulled it out of the guys back yard,I sprayed that stuff on let it set and then pressure washed it off and painted it.

7. franktf

Well tonight I removed the rear seat, interior panels and carpet all only to find some unwanted rust..... So shortly after say oh happy day to myself I started scraping all the seam sealer from the seams on the floor and vacuumed it all up.....

I did find some interesting ways to fix rust or atleast cover it up..... I found this under the carpet on the drivers floor.....

and here is what I found under that fine repair/cover up.....

Looks like I have some damage to the inner torque box panel..... Atleast the front and bottom panel seem to be solid.....

On the passenger side I found this apparently bondo repair of a smaller hole in the floor and possible torque box.....

8. franktf

The passenger side rear floor also had a nice repair..... The first pic shows it attached to the floor, the second shows it after I yanked it off the floor and the third show what the floor looks lie after removing it.....

9. Turbohwagon

Common maverick rust.

10. rdakota340

Looks pretty damn good though isn't going to take much to fix that :2thumbs:

11. badride5

Very nice find! I look forward to seeing what becomes of it.

12. franktf

Thanks.....

Last night I got the e-brake cables removed..... I also took off the air shocks and the really nice shock bracket reinforcement/repair, of couse the damage was done due to the air shocks.....

Pic's of the fine repair before removal.....

13. rdakota340

That's funny because peeps do that on darts and dusters because they drag the back ends from the factory so they but hijackers on them and bust the mounting brackets just like that,they were not made to support the car like that. Unibodys go figure!

14. Turbohwagon

Seen the air shock thing before, I have no idea how many Mavericks i've seen with crushed/torn/hacked togeather shock mounts due to air shocks. :doh:

15. MN Tony

Check the cowl where the heater bolts up to it. You probably have rust there and that is what caused the rust in the floors. It's a common Maverick issue.

16. franktf

I have no idea what people are thinking when they put ari shocks on any of these veichles, unibody or not..... :ahah: Wait a minute there not thinking at all..... :doh:

The cowl is coming off to be fixed and/or just treated so it doesn't rust out in the future.....

17. franktf

I decided I am going EFI on this project, and I was able to pick up a sweet intake for it last night..... I might not be the best thing out there performance, but I think it's probably the best looking Ford EFI intake out there..... Got a good deal on it too.....

I was also able to get an A9L EFI computer yesterday from my boss, it is in excellent shape - not even a ding or scuff on it and none of the seals have been removed..... Best part is it was free.....:2occasion

Here's a pick of the intake.....

I also had to get some of these parts put away, so now my shops rafters and loft look like a Mav junk yard.....

18. franktf

I did manage to get some more stuff taken off the car today too..... It's getting pretty bare..... Looks like I am going to to have to put some more stuff away in the am before I get back to guttin the car.....

19. reamo04

amazing how the plan to not take it apart changed so fast :2thumbs:

20. franktf

Ithink I said it earlier, sometimes I am just a pain in my own ass..... :stupid: Oh well, atleast the body and chassis will be done and done right.....