1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mopar 360 compound turbo Vlog

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Prochargedmopar, Mar 16, 2017.

1. tbird

The turbo feeding the blower will actually make it work less. It wont move more air, it will move more dense air.
    Yes that blower will be a huge restriction if it is feeding the turbo. That turbo can move way more air.
    If you need to prove it out for yourself then go ahead. Sometimes it helps us understand. But its been proven many times, big air mover feeds small air mover. Same goes for compound turbo setups.

Prochargedmopar likes this.
  2. B E N

The blower will be compounding incoming boost. Its not just a simple addition of the two boost numbers. You should have at least a basic understanding of how this works before you go too far.

Compounded charger boost is a little bit weird. Lets say you wanted 30 PSI total. You want to pulley the SC for 8 PSI, you will only need around 14 lbs out of the turbo to achieve the 30 PSI goal.

The supercharger will not be a restriction.

3. turbostang500

I think you are much better off having the turbo as the fresh air charger and the supercharger as the secondary.

The supercharger won't be doing any more work when the turbo spools up. It is much easier to first think of a turbo or supercharger as a compressor. They multiply the air mass. If you have atmospheric pressure at the inlet, and 14 psi discharge, you have a 2:1 pressure ratio (14.7+14= 28.7, ÷14.7=1.95 or close to 2:1) which most any charger can cover. Now, if you have 10 psi at the inlet, from the turbo, you still run 2:1 across the secondary, you have 49.5 psi discharge pressure (10+14.7=24.7, then 24.7×2=49.5)

That is how compound charging works. The 49 psi would not change the load on the supercharger at all since it would still just be increasing inlet pressure 2:1. The housing would feel the increased pressure but the housing should be able to handle much more before having issues.

4. Prochargedmopar

Eh?
    Not to sure about that.
    Blower has a maximum theoretic output of 825hp.
    Turbo has 900hp theoretically in a perfect world for both.

Gut says if i take a bread-mixer and fill the bowl with water the motor will barely be working and also pulling amps at the same rate as if the motor was freewheeling.
    Think supercharger at engine rpm of 6k and 7psi with 40,000 rpm blower wheel speed.
    30hp parasitic?

Now, fill the bowl with whole ground wheat flour, sugar, yeast, molasses, and salt.
    That motor be pullin full load amps and getting hot.

Think doubly dense air charge and 17psi outlet pressure. Belt be slipping and have upwards of 70hp losses. (numbers grabbed from thin air)

What if reversed?
    Now the turbo is sucking on the outlet of the blower and at 6k rpm whem the turbo is really kicking full tilt the blower would maybe be using 20hp as its not having to build any boost at the top end.
    Basically free wheeling?
    Not sure that’s possible.

As long as the air can flow through (750hp worth of air) to get me 600 to the tire I’ll be good to go.

I can see both arguments and understand how compound turbocharging works for tractor pullers and such but I’d like to minimize the blower drag some kind of way.

We’ll see eventually.

5. turbostang500

So, you are going with more of a sequential system?

I guess I never asked or noticed what size charger and turbo you want to work with.

I also don't have experience with superchargers, as far as belt strain.

My imaginary internet money is on the senerio that doesn't increase belt load but, it is easy for me to say.

Either way, I am interested, as well, to see how it unfolds!

6. tbird

Its not how air works dude. If you put the turbo on pulling air out of the blower it will tax the hell out of it and increase parasitic loss.

7. Drac0nic

The supercharger will make the engine effectively larger (typically done with a responsive blower like a roots or a screw) which helps run a larger turbo than normally permitted on such an engine. You'll end up with higher outlet pressures from the second stage, but the first stage won't impact it with exception to efficiency loss due to heating of the air.

8. Prochargedmopar

Couple more parts and Saturday morning project.
    Also got me a bunch of new Kobalt power tools.
    Sorry Milwaukee. lol

tbird likes this.
  9. Prochargedmopar

Got the Heat pump fixed,
    Showing off my Black Friday purchase and a Machinist straight edge from ebay.

10. Prochargedmopar

Merry Christmas!

And another Sniper install project I’m working on too. First start.
    This was from yesterday.

11. Prochargedmopar

Unboxing vid of my “new” e85 carb I got from HP Innovations.
    He rebuilt it grudgingly. LOL

I also show ccing the piston volume in this one.

tbird likes this.
  12. Drac0nic

I sympathize on the heads. With the Pontiac 350s You need two to three years very specific heads to not end up at 7:1 or a bit more and the valve angle changes makes it worse. Most anything after 70 or so starts at 96CC! That's with the block at .015 deck height which is tbh pretty darn good. For an SBC you can get .015 gaskets which rock. Any chances of you finding a gasket like that? If you're 4 in the hole, a rebuilder style in the 35-40 thou would probably work well for you within your compression. Any chance you could think about jamming some 318 heads on? I don't know what they're like, but that's common enough in the SBC world.

In terms of the line honing or not, my opinion is try 2 things:1)if you have a set of snap gauges and mics, see what the bores look like with bolts and with studs. You always hear people saying "it distorts the main caps" but you never really hear about anyone actually measuring it. If you can't do that, I'd lean towards a strategy of comparing rotational torque of the crank (in-lb gauge) and some plastiguage. I would consider that more of a shot in the dark however.

13. Prochargedmopar

C598956D-06E8-4CE1-BEF0-5D0CEFDCA6C7.png #ad
    318 heads? ewww.
    I paid $2300 for these sidewinders.
    $1249 for the heads complete and $1k for porting.
    Yes, I have a dial bore guage and mics’.
    It’s the 34cc dish thats killing me.
    Even going from 34 to 14cc brings compression up to 9.2:1 with the 70cc head.
    I may have to suck it up and get custom pistons but they will some how need to be the same weight as what Ive got.

Or get a new assembly all together.
    Man this is stinky.

14. Drac0nic

Whoops didn't realize you got aftermarket heads, first videos were stockers. In terms of the pistons you still have an asset you can resale. Even if you take a loss on those you wouldn't be out of the whole amount to ebay or craigslist them. You'll make good power regardless of the CR, just think you're going to be mismatched on the combo because the comp is too low (I'm guessing this is going to be a "lot of cam" setup.) Also keep in mind that you're going to lose heat due to the aluminum heads effectively making your comp even lower.

What's the limits of a 360 block? I'm thinking you'll be running up to them pretty quickly in all honesty.

15. Prochargedmopar

208903E0-EB00-470B-8784-D8BB56EC6AC0.png #ad
    Dizuster made 800hp according to mph/et.
    I loosely copied his setup, a little too loose.
    I’m looking for 600rwhp.

May have to resort to something like this.

16. Prochargedmopar

Dbl checking combustion chamber CCs before I jump the gun on pistons or stroker kit.

17. Prochargedmopar

2793B6D2-61ED-448E-AF18-52D8A16B1F1D.png #ad
    Anyone seen these yet?
    Buy outright without bidding is $450.

18. Prochargedmopar

A different direction to up comp. ratio for e85.
    Stroker?

Maybe not.

19. Prochargedmopar

Prepping cylinders for hand hone via a ridge reamer.