1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Modifying distributor for DFI, FAST or BS3 cam sync

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Injected65, Feb 13, 2008.

1. gtmustang00

Re: Modifying distributor for FAST or BS3 cam sync

what is the msd part number on the msd dizzy that you convert? the one in your tech article.

2. Injected65

The part number will depend on the engine that it is used on. That actual distributor shown was an 85805 for a 351W with a Vic Jr intake.

Chris

3. gtmustang00

im using a dart 302 block 8.2 deck height, trickflow r lower w/ reichard racing upper.

4. Injected65

You just need to look up your application and choose of the different styles they have available (small cap, big cap, etc...). Then its just a matter of ordering in the other small parts and following the steps in that article.

5. gtmustang00

seems like there are 3 or 4 to choose from... i don't seem to know the differences besides the iron/steel gear and small/big cap, pro billet or just billet. seems like the pro billet 8579 w/ small cap and iron gear is my best bet i think.

6. forddragrcr

i am using a bs3 with no crank trigger (nowhere to mount). Do i still need to do this?

7. FastDriver

That one has a mechanical advance. Why not go with a distributor like the 8456 that does not have the mechanical advance, so that you do not need to make a modification here. Also, PN8456 is for TFI, though. If you're not looking for one with TFI, then just ask MSD. Hell, maybe they make one specifically for use with Crank-triggers and cam synchs.

Chris

8. Injected65

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Blogs/npp_2009_lo res.pdf

New MSD products for 2009......................

Pro-Billet TM Cam Sync Distributors
    If you plan on using an aftermarket EFI system that fires sequentially, you'll need to provide the ECU
    with a cam synchronization signal. The ECU requires a signal to know when cylinder number one is firing (or
    preparing to fire) so it can determine the sequence of the injectors.
    These new Pro-Billet Distributors feature an adjustable cam sync pickup as well as a magnetic pickup
    inside the distributor to trigger the ignition control. The Hall-effect sync pickup is adjustable up to 60°
    BTDC to meet the needs of most aftermarket ECUs and even is crimped with a common 2-pin Weathertight
    connector. A great new feature is the two piece adjustable rotor that is supplied. This assists in setting up
    the proper rotor phasing for accurate timing and spark control.
    Pro-Billet Cam Sync Distributors:
    Ford 289, 302, Steel gear - PN 2358*
    289, 302, Iron gear - PN 2359*
    289, 302, Bronze gear - PN 2360*
    Ford 351W, Steel gear - PN 2362 *
    Chevy - PN 2357 *

This would be a good option for someone that wants an out of the box setup. From what I understand the retail pricing is around $500-550, but I have not heard the street pricing yet.

Chris

9. FastDriver

Man! MSD is doing great stuff. Too bad I already went the TFI route. I'd definitely consider doing this in the future, though.

Chris

10. T.J. 87-GT

I have an MSD Pro-Billet for a BBC. I need to modify for Cam Sync. I see that MSD offers a Cam Sync kit.

MSD Ignition 2346

Has anyone ever done this.

Thanks.
    T.J.

11. FlugGTI

Hi guys, I hope I can get some help here regarding my BigStuff3 on VW GTI install. As you might imagine, I think I am about the first person to be running BS3 on this type of engine. We got the thing running, but have been having some strange issues as follows:

1. Very hard starting, accompanied by occasional backfiring
    2. Car runs, accelerates, and drives "okay" until RPMs get over about 4500. At this point, the car "pops" and completely dies. After pulling over to the side of the road and letting it sit a few minutes, it will start (very reluctantly) and then run like crap all the way home.
    3. I've found that after it blows out the candle like this, I check the base timing and it can be off by as much as 20-25 degrees. This would make sense why it is backfiring during cranking, if the spark happens after TDC and the exhaust valve starts to open.

So, I am trying to figure out why the base ignition timing is moving around so much! Of course, this is kind of a one-off setup, but it doesn't seem like it should be rocket science. We have a 24 tooth wheel mounted on the crankshaft, using an MSD 8505 pickup as per John Meaney's instructions. He also told us to use his 3/4" HED pickup JMI-007-011 for the cam reference. We drilled and tapped a hole in the side of my existing distributor, and threaded the HED pickup in there. This distributor uses a one missing window area, but from some of the posts about modifying MSD dizzys for use with FAST or BS3, it looks like they are cutting off all the extra reluctor wheels and leaving one small tab. This is essentially opposite of my setup, which is a missing window and I suppose would make a big difference.

[​IMG]#ad

Before I go slicing up my distributor though *these are pretty pricey* I'd like to know if I am barking up the right tree.

Thanks guys :cheers:

12. FlugGTI

So I sliced, it didn't make a bit of difference. I am officially stumped

13. Injected65

I'm most familiar with the magnetic pickups used in the MSD distributors. From your picture that appears to be a trigger wheel for an optical pickup. Whether or not it would work for a cam sync would be a question for Meaney I would imagine since he would know what type of signal would be needed for the ECU.

Chris

14. FlugGTI

It isn't really pictured, but I'm using BS3's JMI part number HED that comes with the 24 tooth wheel kit, threaded into the side of the distributor.

15. Will Evers

Can this be done on a crank trigger distributor?

16. Scott B

I don't think you can use the crank trigger dist b/c there is no reluctor wheel in it.

17. Bankbook

Great info. Thanks for posting. :2thumbs:

18. Mach40

With an MSD billet dizzy that is already locked out . How would I hook up the sensro for the BS3?

19. streetspeeder

20. chriscrna

I have a fast sequential and the accel dual sync distributor. Where can I get the info on the changes to the wiring harnes so I can wire the setup. I am no accel wizard so keep it simple please. Is there a harness out now that can be use with the dual sync or ???