1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Missing, sputtering at higher boost intermittently

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by xxfastangxx, Apr 18, 2010.

1. xxfastangxx

yeah... I definitely knew gap could be a problem, but what threw me off was that I had them a .035 before and didn't have a problem.

2. jaredsamurai

Yeah that is weird. for some reason logic doesn't always work with cars.

3. xxfastangxx

So... now its doing it again... :bang: top of third and fourth. BUT 75% throttle is fine.

But... get this, after the missing and sputtering stopped in a parking lot, looked at it for a while, nothing obviously wrong. Left, still missing, and then like 20mins later stopped at a gas station to put some air in the tires, left and got on the highway... then it stopped missing even WOT 3rd and 4th.

This car is going to drive me crazy... :stupid:

4. Ssmonte408

I had a cracked distributor cap cause this before too. Just something to check

5. xxfastangxx

New cap rotor plugs wires... but i will double check anyways, you never know.. thanks

Hmm... I was just remembering that at one point I had it at 80-90% throttle and It doesnt miss even if its in boost. It only does it at 100%. Could it be the tps?

6. TeeJay

I would look into the TPS or even the MAF. Also, take it to your tuners and see if you can replicate the issue on the dyno (load bearing type).

7. TeeJay

Also, not to sound like a dick or anything but are you sure that what you are experiencing isn't detonation and not a misfire?

8. xxfastangxx

I had the same timing and boost before with 93, now I added meth, so if anything its safer now. Trust me I thought the same.

Also, if it was detonation I would think it would be more consistent?

9. xxfastangxx

is there anyway to "test" the maf?

I have a pmas blowthrough maf calibrated for 60s.

10. jaredsamurai

Wouldn't your AFRs be off if the maf was F'd up? :huh:

11. xxfastangxx

I don't know... this misfire is kicking my ass. :bang:
    I would imagine if it was the plugs/wires or something ignition related it wouldn't be so inconsistent?...

12. xxfastangxx

Okay... so I've come to the conclusion that as the plugs get "older" the misfire gets worse... They do have a black ring on the end of the threads which would indicate that the car is running rich .For the most part they all look the same... WOT tune is perfect, its a solid 11.8-11.9 at WOT. Part throttle is pretty good, 13s-14s, oncei n a while I'll get a 12 in there though which I think is causing the black ring. My thing is though.. if the plugs were fouling out wouldnt they "clean up" after a WOT pull?

13. 79fairmont

Had this happen on my own car this spring. What I and most everyone thought was spark blow out was cured with higher octane fuel. Something seems different with the fuel this year. Either I got a bad tank of fuel (kinda doubtful went thru 2 tanks) or gas isn't the same all of the sudden. Not saying this is 100 percent your problem but its what I ran into with my own car.

14. blown385

Ain't that the truth . My Digi 7 will open the gap from .030 to .040 in a month or two . Depending on how much i drive it .

No miss even at .040 ! :chacha:

15. xxfastangxx

Pulled out a couple plugs today... plug gap is still dead on. :bang:

16. littlebluefoxbody

Along that line of thought we have had issues (more issues than in years past) with pump gas.
    We have not been able to push as much boost into several pump gas motors. Could just be fuel.

Pump gas is chitty anyway.

17. xxfastangxx

if it was the gas it wouldn't' be on and off like this...
    Rechecked all connections to the coil, put on a new ignition coil connector soldered and heatshrinked... same thing.

Unplugged the msd and it got worse, so that rules out the msd... and a new coil, same thing.

Last night was running great.. 14-15psi and all. Intermittent nonsense... I don't get it.

Now its doing it all the time...

18. xxfastangxx

19. xxfastangxx

oops double post

20. Timbostang

Mine is doing the same thing yours is doing. Doesn't do it all the time. Mine usually does it at WOT in 3rd and 4th. The other day it actually did it in 2nd gear. Just started cutting out at 5k rpms. I changed out my plugs and it is still doing the same thing. I have a MSD 2-step on mine, so my next step will be to disconnect the 2-step. I also need to datalog and look at my maf, duty cycles, fp etc.