1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mike Walter's twin 88 540 BBC Jet Boat

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by Don Bailey, Jan 4, 2008.

1. turbojunkie50

The boat is a youngblood tx-20 picklefork tunnel hull.
    For those that don't know the tunnels trap air and create lift @ high speed.
    Feels like your riding on air,at first i didn't like the feeling now i'm use to it. ;)
    Still trying to figure out the video thing.
    Here is a picture of the whole boat.

[​IMG]#ad

I'm gonna have to work on the picture skills,i cut the back end off

2. GAWnCA

Until it kites over on you and then...... :bang: :bah: :stupid:

3. notched306

4. nuckifuts

you, my friend, are NUTS :2thumbs:

5. Big_Ed

It would be hard to decide if it was the turbo's exhaust pushing that boat or the actual drive unit!!

6. dodge turbo

that boat is bad ass .....dont see to-many cat boats set up for water drags.....
    you from the east coast or west....
    Here in the Chesapeake bay where im located there are lots of flat bottoms and hondo's..

Gotta love a cat though
    My buddy has a Profile cat that does well into the 100mph range and that thing is the weirdest ride in the whole world compared to a v-bottom
    and of course my buddy put "This Cat aint no pussy" on the back of it :2thumbs:

7. turbojunkie50

When i built the motor i wanted to be able to remove the valve covers and change spark plugs without removing the exhaust.We built the the exhaust out of stainless u-bends and some straight pipe into 4" collectors then to 4" 90's.The hardest part was making the 90's fit in the area we had to work with.I really respect you guys that have even less room to work with under the hood.I definatly had an advantage because i could build as high as i wanted with no clearance problems.
    Also when i decided to do this i called Unchained many times,he was a big help and always willing to answer questions.
    I didn't want the turbos in front of the engine because of the heat and not over the valve covers so the only place left was behind engine.I needed some support for the turbos because they were over 50 lbs and i wasn't sure that the exhaust would hold them up.So we built some stainless support stands for them to sit on that bolt up to the bellhousing flange.That has worked real well.I can also take the exhaust off and the turbos can stay in place,same on the cold side.The exhaust system is working well and those 5" exhaust pipes sound bad ass.
    I was fighting some heat issues,the radiant heat was reflecting downward,after talking to unchained,i built some aluminum shields to bolt to the exhaust.
    I decided to try jet hot coating but it basically turned to powder and flaked off.
    Who is everyone using to coat their exhaust?
    I'm living down by Houston.

8. MUSTANG B

Awesome boat man, Can't wait for some live Vid!

9. Big_Ed

What size injectors you running?? 160's??

10. turbojunkie50

Yep,160's

11. vossperformance

Oh hell, I think I have found my next project. :D :D

12. Mark55

I used to run street race cars and eventually got into drag boats.
    Lots of places to go fast without law enforcement bothering you, Limited drinking allowed, lots of girls in bikinis around. Even seen several without the bikini's :2thumbs:

13. T.J. 87-GT

I am with Mark on this one. I was into cars (still am kind of) but when you are at a drag race in the summer time at the track and hot as hell and want to take a swim there is no where to go. However, when you are on a fast as hell boat and hot as hell, all you need to do is just roll over in the water and you are all set. :chacha:

T.J.

14. GAWnCA

Not to mention the Bikinis all around. :) The cops are getting a bet testy about drinking though. Here in California it's worse than if you were in the Mid-West. Not good there either but CA has really turned into a "Government Control You" State. Unless you have millions in the bank and run in the same circles as the politicians.

15. Mark55

I was raising hell going fast a couple years ago with three other people in the boat and got stopped by the local Sheriff.
    He pulled alongside us and got with in 6" of my face to see if I looked drunk or smelled like alcohol.
    He asked me how many beers I had and I told him "you know, it was the usual three"
    He gave me a sobriety test and let me go. It was a wake up call because there was other times I would not have passed.
    He didn't seem to mind that we only had two life vests for 4 people and no throwable either.

As drinking and boating goes I live by the wise words of Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations" :chacha:

16. AlexL

Yup -same here.

17. blk mk8

have you tried swain tech coatings, also which jet hot did you use. there are many different coatings you can get. i was told by swain tech that the pipe might melt before the coating would come off.

18. Mark55

This was the best looking heat shield idea for the turbine housing I've seen yet,
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99937.0

I'm going to make a couple.

19. GAWnCA

20. rdakota340

man this is one of the best sites around people always willing to share there ideas! :2thumbs: