1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mercury Comet that I wasn't looking for

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 62CometTurbo, Feb 8, 2021.

1. mld54

If you're going with cam and crank sensors, you may as well go with individual coils. You can use a cam sensor and synchronizer from a v8 Explorer, depending on the year they had VR or hall effect sensors. GM coils are easy to get.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  2. 62CometTurbo

Alright, to muddy the waters one last time.....the TFI dissy will produce the cam and crank signal needed for the Terminator? Without the need for an external crank sensor? I am not interested in a Sniper.

If that's the case, I would just get rid of my $50 autozone distributor for a TFI unit.

nxcoupe and Disney Lincoln like this.
  3. Russell

Yes, that is how my Terminator X is run plug onto the TFI distributor. It controls timing and has sequential fuel injection. There is a table for adjusting the injector end angle helps smooth out the idle with big injectors. (This is not an option with batch fire)

4. Disney Lincoln

Yes, the TFI works as a plug and play with the Terminator ECU if you buy the holley harness. Page 13. https://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev10.pdf

62CometTurbo likes this.
  5. nxcoupe

Possibly, but it would be a custom set up and there is no way to control the timing.

6. nxcoupe

Yep

7. nxcoupe

Yep. Use the tfi harness I listed and it will allow you to control timing and run sequential.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  8. 62CometTurbo

Awesome, I think the Terminator will do everything I want it to. With the rising costs of the 6530 box and what else I'd have to do to support more power on the blow through, I think I've finally come to my senses to just use EFI. You said you sell Holley stuff?

9. nxcoupe

Yes I do. I've helped a few people on this forum.

Russell likes this.
  10. mld54

Most people don't want to spend money for a good standalone engine management system. When you figure they have individual cylinder control, launch control, boost control, rev limiter, bump and creep, traction control, nitrous control, some cases flex fuel and transmission control and other features that all integrated together it's a no-brainer. Buy once and be done.

nxcoupe likes this.
  11. Russell

You left out some of my favorites the 2 Step, included wideband O2, electric fan control and logging.

12. 62CometTurbo

Yep, it might be more expensive but it builds in so many features that you cannot add to other systems or would need multiple modules to accomplish. The 6530 is great on a budget, but I feel like I'm getting past that point. I want a car I can drive a lot and run single digits, but I can't see myself in a new car.

nxcoupe likes this.
  13. Briansshop

Can't remember,is your motor 302 or 351 based? I still have the TFI from my Lightning that I ran with the HP,just sitting around...

14. 62CometTurbo

302, assuming the lightning was a 351?

15. Briansshop

That's good.

I was just repeating what was posted by Danny Cabral over on the Holley Forum.

16. Briansshop

Yup.

17. Briansshop

Spotted in Sick the Mag:

[​IMG]#ad

Old 86, Pro-SC, pete.nichols and 2 others like this.
  18. 62CometTurbo

Just scored a 6530 box on ebay for $200 shipped, so it will net me a rev limiter, 2 step, and programmable boost retard at least until I'm ready for the Terminator. For reference I paid $100 for the 6A, MSD coil, and new wires off my neighbors car 3 years ago and that's been working fine haha! I'll sell this stuff when the time comes. I can't imagine how much better the Holley system is but I'm still waiting on a block to show up so I've got time.

nxcoupe, B E N and Briansshop like this.
  19. 62CometTurbo

Update, got the 6530 installed with a Delphi 3 bar map. Basic timing, 32 degrees pulling 14 below 400 rpm for start retard. Pulled a couple at 6k because it seemed like I should haha. Starting at 3 psi pulling 12 degrees by 8 psi (max boost right now), then 20 degrees by 15 psi if something happens. Kinda nice to have a rev limit and the 2 step function for what I've got in it. I will say it's a lot quicker to spool vs the locked timing and vacuum advance. I guess the timing up until it spools helps. So overall I'm glad I spent the $200 on the box.

ETA I tried a Tripp-lite cable U209-000-R first and couldn't get the car to start. Switch back to the 6A to make sure it wasn't something with the wiring and it fired right up. I threw the 6530 back in and it also started right up. As soon as I plugged the cable in it shut off. Went to another cheaper cable and it worked fine.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  20. 62CometTurbo

Well the 2 step works, and it makes burnouts a breeze! I've got it set to 2600 rpm right now. I've seen it go slightly past out of vacuum but so far I haven't set on it long enough to see if it will really build boost. It's doing something though because it just lights the tires and spools almost instantly once I let it go. I'm honestly impressed with this box for what I paid for it.