1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mercury Comet that I wasn't looking for

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 62CometTurbo, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Russell

I would like to know what others think? I assume wheel hop can be just as damaging as a good launch.

nxcoupe likes this.
  2. Punk.Kaos

I don't know about rear ends, but I know with the Mopars I build wheel hop is the #1 way you blow up a transmission. So I'd bet it'd be hard on rear ends as well.

Russell likes this.
  3. 62CometTurbo

Cleaned the tube up and threw a handful of hot beads on it. I've got it about halfway to where it needs to be. Pretty wild! I'll have to knock the welds down for it to be pretty but it is in fact moving. I'm not going for perfect, but closer than whatever came out of the factory I'm sure. I could have waited and borrowed oxygen acetylene from my father in law but I'm impatient. I may look at some bracing while I'm doing all this, but the leaf springs may be in the way for some of the common bottom braces.

Pro-SC, silver82GT and Punk.Kaos like this.
  4. 62CometTurbo

Got some clean up to do, but this is where I'm stopping tonight. 20240103_172318.jpg #ad

nxcoupe, tbird, B E N and 4 others like this.
  5. 62CometTurbo

Found out the pinion centerline is off to one side 3/8". Driver side is 24 5/8" and pass is 24 1/4" using a centerline plate. Not sure if that's enough to contribute to my vibration I was getting but I'm going to aim for getting the driver side to match the pass unless there's a reason not to.

nxcoupe likes this.
  6. 62CometTurbo

Anyone with experience with 9" ends know if I can trim down the smallest diameter bit of these ends? The axle tubes neck down, and I'm afraid these will not slide into the tube where I need to cut to keep my length where I need it. Other option is send these back and by a set that does not have the "slip in" alignment bit past the weld bevel. To me it doesn't seem critical as the only bit in there should be the wedding ring behind the bearing and it shouldn't touch inside the end. 20240104_122149.jpg #ad
    20240104_122154.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    nxcoupe likes this.
  7. KEVINS

I'd machine it to fit the way you want it too.

ks

62CometTurbo likes this.
  8. 62CometTurbo

Will do! Wasn't sure of any of the inner machining was critical other than the 3.15 opening where the bearing will seat. I'm not totally sure how the tapered bearings would fit in such a narrow seat but I would rather run those.

9. 62CometTurbo

JUST fit inside the tube where I needed it. Does help keep it in place while you're getting everything lined up but does limit your minor adjustments to square it all up. All in all it will be better off than before. 20240104_171415.jpg #ad

10. tbird

You can cut that off. Most ends dont come with the portion to fit in the tube. They just have a heavy chamfer for weld.

nxcoupe, 62CometTurbo and Briansshop like this.
  11. Briansshop

Fitting inside will limit the adj window too much,I'd think. Unless the tubes are very close to straight.

nxcoupe, tbird and 62CometTurbo like this.
  12. 62CometTurbo

This is what I'm thinking. The tubes are damn close at this point but not perfect.

nxcoupe likes this.
  13. 74chlngrTT5.9

Wow on all accounts...
    You will know it is correct when you finish it...

nxcoupe and 62CometTurbo like this.
  14. 62CometTurbo

Got the ends tacked on, got pulled away for some baby duty and errands. I'll get it welded in the AM hopefully. The big thing is I can still spin the bar with the ends tacked and all the bushings in place. I couldn't even get the bar in with more than one inner bushing installed before.

nxcoupe, silver82GT and Punk.Kaos like this.
  15. 62CometTurbo

74chlngrTT5.9, nxcoupe and Briansshop like this.
  16. Briansshop

Looks good! The fucking music was terrible.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  17. Briansshop

My junk is close to fire up. Have meet up down that way some time.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  18. 62CometTurbo

20240106_130805.jpg #ad

The world's ugliest 8.8 has new ends and is still fairly straight. I'm almost confident enough to do this for other people. Surprisingly simple as nerve wracking as it was to thunk about. Now I just need my mono leaves from Calvert and I'll get it in the check the pinion angle and cut off the old perches and weld new on.

Pro-SC and nxcoupe like this.
  19. CW25

Nice job. Welding ends on a rear diff isn’t very difficult. I didn’t have a alignment bar so I used a axle with the bearing on it and installed the carrier to hold the other end. Tacked it in several spots checking it on the first couple tacks. Then welded it in. The axles slide in like stock. Now I just need the axle cut guide and I will have a assembled axle. Make sure to box the perches as well when you weld them on.

IMG_5444.png #ad

74chlngrTT5.9, B E N, Pro-SC and 2 others like this.
  20. 62CometTurbo

Threw the new pinion in and slid the rear in to check pinion angle. I'm sure some of you remember my debacle about that. I've got new perches I'm going to weld on for 2 reasons. Since making both sides the same length now, one side sticks out farther. Reason 2 is pinion angle, needs to come up about 5 degrees. I did modify my rear shackles to better fit the caltrac mono leafs. Had to order some new u bolts because the threads on a couple are getting chewed up.

Bad news about cutting off the locating stub on the new axle ends, that's where the inner axle seal would sit if I wanted to use ball bearings. Didn't even dawn on me. Good news is I can still use the tapered which I was leaning toward anyway, I guess I'll see what luck I have getting those to seal up. 20240114_155603.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024