1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

may go BBC turbo instead of LS

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by JLS, Jan 3, 2012.

1. big dave

Stock internal LQ4 will take a TON of abuse... 700rwhp not an issue with a good cam and the right turbo(s). I spun mine to 7k for about 16k miles at that power level without failure.

2. CyanJaguar

LOL. use an alum block for the ls1 and the difference is STILL 200lbs, and your precious 582 STILL gets drug lmao.

3. tt 383

That is what someone said a few post up, CyanJaguar I think misinterpreted that for FWHP not WHP as was stated, read the entire thread before posting. I have not ascribed a power level to anything except potential of some heads NA.

4. topend

where you getting the 200lbs difference???

hows is a 582ci making 45hp more ,making 120lbs torque more is going to be drug?????

here is almost dollar to dollar comparison

Scott Shafiroff 632ci for $16975 making 200 hp more, making 245lbs of torque more than the LSX 454.

5. CyanJaguar

yes, a 632 will be faster than a 454ls. its only 178 cubes bigger lol

6. XBRED1

Man you guys are real Die Hards :bah: Never Give Up :ahah:

7. big dave

LMAO I'll make sure and read up just for you . . . It seems there are quite a few people short on comprehension doesn't it?

8. JLS

whats the deal with the megasquirt you guys using it on ls and bbc engines for affordable efi?

9. tt 383

Anyone know anythng about the Summit LS block?

10. slow67

What about the rotating assembly weight? I know there is at 75 lbs there. Also, I know of no one that leaves LSX block at 3.88 bore. Almost everyone bores them to 4.125, dropping it 25-30 lbs.

Me personally, I'm between a rock and a hard place, I'm building my car for a class that doesn't allow BBCs in boosted combos.

11. topend

I covered the weight differences in the post you replied to.

Imagine that , BBC being heavy, make less hp per cubic inch,obsolete being banned from the class your planning to run.

12. BlownShovel

That makes it easy then LS* all the way!

13. XBRED1

Definitely if rules prohibit the BBC

14. tt 383

Is that new math or is that ricer math? It is too hard to distinguish these days.....

15. wantabe

You guys got it sorted yet ? :)

16. topend

Forget LSx go SBC. way better headgasket sealing.

17. topend

very popular with the LSx crowd.

18. slow67

I've been on 'tech for quite some time, I still don't here it? :stupid: I'm pretty sure they don't like you over there too.

Edit:That isn't my opinion, just what I gather from everyone's responses. Normally I completely disagree with what you have to say, but you do have *some* valid points on this subject. I do agree boosted BBCs do have there place.

19. big dave

^^^I thought the same but it's fairly apparent that some here just do not like the LS motor regardless of by what math or method it has been argued. Everyone has their preferences... Funny thing is for every motor which one guy thinks is the "best" there is a guy with an extremely efficient and undersized old school motor that is known to be extremely inferior but that puts a hurtin on today's "big thing".

20. slow67

At the point where the SBC seals better, you could have a stock LSx block o ringed cheaper than you could upgrade a stock SBC block to a dart/merlin/etc.

On top of that, you will need an aftermarket SBC block MUCH sooner than you need o rings in an LS motor.