1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Manual brakes conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by 99TTGT, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ItCouldHappen

Yeah thats what I was thinking as well...with skinnies should be easy enough to get around in

I meant without the pully...sorry

2. yoteehunter

Thanks, keep us posted on the brakes. I bet there are some big weight losses to be had by ditching that stuff.

3. n20blkgt

I am doing the same thing. I needed the info on the master cylinder. Thanks

4. hotrodder_101

I know most of you already know this but just incase. If you loop the lines on a stock PS rack, it will work fine for a while. The problem with it is that it wears out very fast. You won't be able to tell it in the steering wheel, but if you put the front end in the air you can feel the slack. The reason I know this is my dad just got his car running and it had been looped by previous owner. We didn't think much about it. We ran the car as was for a couple weekends. When I drove the car the car felt very unstable on the top end at 115mph. I told my dad who hadn't noticed. When we got home we put the car on the lift and found the slack. He immediately ordered a flaming river manual rack. Car feels great now. He also has aerospace manual conversion works good.
    Thanks

5. 99TTGT

After deleting the hydraboost , powersteering pump,master cylinder, OEM rack & pininon
    Everything coming alone well.
    Option 1 with ideler & tensioner
    option 2 With OEM pullies & electric water pump USE Gates belt part #K060405
    Here is how I routed the belt:

belt (Small).JPG #ad

belt.png #ad

6. 99TTGT

what type of info you need?
    ps# All the OEM parts remove weight 90lbs
    <hydraboost,mastercylinder,powersteering pump,complete AC system ,ABS box>

7. 99TTGT

Well after removing the OEM master cylinder & hydroboost , the AeroSpace master cylinder can be installed.
    Note, to attach the rod to the pedal a new bolt hole needs to be drill 2 inches center to center from the stock location up. This is important to accomplish a 7 to 1 pedal ratio.
    Master Cylinder installation instructions here;
    http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/images/instructions/Mstr-Cyl-Install.pdf

Remember measure twice drill once.... :2thumbs:

pedal (Medium).JPG #ad

aeromaster (Medium).JPG #ad

bolt hole (Medium)[2].JPG #ad

8. 99TTGT

On the engine comparment side ,we decide to use the Jegs proportion valve/ distribution block with integrate brake light pressure switch.
    very nice unit save use time & money in a all in one packege.

mastercyl.JPG #ad

map.JPG #ad

PPV.JPG #ad

9. Jad

YES! Thank you!. I've been waiting for someone to post the right belt size.

10. Anthony

millions of cars came from the factory without powersteering.big block cars, weighing 4k lbs, with drum brakes.......... i am pretty sure its safe

11. 99TTGT

Belt size may vary depending on the pulleys you are using...
    OEM crank pulley, water pump pulley & alternator pulley will use
    Gates belt K06473

12. 99TTGT

Re: SN95 Manual brakes conversion

Agree..!
    It is safe.!
    Nice setup for the weeekend warrior. :2thumbs:
    It just suck's a little, is much nicier for a daily driver with the power steering & power brakes.
    ps# If anybody want to conver to manual brakes, you have to go all the way.
    Trying to make the OEM calipers will work, but the car won't stop as good.....

fronts aero.jpg #ad

rear aerospace.jpg #ad

13. SHOWTIME!!

Here is the set up im going with. Tell me if you see any flaws. Flaming River Manual Rack, Aerospace Front and Rear brake kit, Aerospace Manual brake conversion kit, jegs proportioning valve. Of course I am going to run new brake lines. I have heard that Steeda offers a manual brake conversion kit that comes with the pedal that's already drilled with a better pivoting point. Is this true???

14. 99TTGT

I have all that, If you don't buy the brakes is not worth it.<the car won't stop as good>
    No matter what you buy.
    ps# just drill the hole.!
    ------------------------------------
    Well I order the Aerospace AC-251 & brake kit for the front.
    http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/...w=article&id=54:9408m&catid=19:mfbk&Itemid=70

& for the rear AC-548 ABS
    http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/...iew=article&id=56:rdrk&catid=21:rbk&Itemid=45
    ------------------------------------
    Here are the brake lines

driver side (Medium).JPG #ad

rearbrake.JPG #ad

line.JPG #ad

15. SHOWTIME!!

Where did you buy the Aerospace Front and Rear brake kit at????

16. 99TTGT

Here you go;
    front for SN95 spindels
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Aerospace/026/AC-251/10002/-1
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rear
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Aerospace/026/AC-546/10002/-1
    make sure you tell them the year of the 8.8
    If you have ABS axels
    If you hane 8.8 with 9inch ends non ABS
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aerospace AC-251 & brake line kit for the front.
    http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/...w=article&id=54:9408m&catid=19:mfbk&Itemid=70

rear AC-548 ABS
    http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/...iew=article&id=56:rdrk&catid=21:rbk&Itemid=45

17. 99TTGT

Got the front kit in today , wating on the rear stuff should be here next week..!

aerospace (Medium).JPG #ad

18. 99TTGT

In order for the 4 piston brake kit fit, the stock OEM spindles needed to be modified.
    The ears needed to be cut
    The dust shields needed to be remove
    The rivet holes drill with a 5/16 drill bit & tap with a 3/8 16 to bolt the new bracket.
    ps# The Aerospace front brake kit weight 29lbs

vise (Medium).JPG #ad

spindel.jpg #ad

19. SHOWTIME!!

Brake kit looks good! :2thumbs:

20. 99TTGT

thanks
    ps# I am having a costume kit made for the rear end for c clip eliminator for abs Axel 99/04 ,will see how it comes out...

pass (Medium).JPG #ad

aerospace.JPG #ad