1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Main girdle-effective designs

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by sean, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Boost Engineer

JGSTURBO,

Take some time to read up on the thrust forces acting on the cylinder walls. Primarily the
    Major Thrust Surface vs the Minor Thrust Surface of a V-8 Cylinder block.

Tom Vaught

2. Lance

Found some articles about major vs. minor thrust.... interesting.

When I look inside the light weight 302 casting I see a lack of structure attaching the main bearings to rest of the block. By re-enforcing this structure it should transfer SOME of the major thrust to the minor areas ?

3. RyanMayo

That block definitely looks the part. :2thumbs:

Let me ask you this Tom, in most applications do you think it's really necessary to build them that meaty? It seems the splayed-bolt setup has proven strong enough for just about anything short of Top Fuel, so I'm curious why the OEMs really see a need to go to the deep-skirt, cross-bolted design.

...Off to Google major vs. minor thrust surface...

4. RyanMayo

Did not know that about the SRT 4. Good stuff.

5. Boost Engineer

The Jaguar Block is aluminum and uses a girdle, as does the Mazda I-4 Turbo engine.
    The Ford 406 and 427 used cross bolted mains early on with cast-iron blocks. The Hemi Chrysler followed suit. Quote: "there's no doubt the 426 'Hemi'and RB block in general had a stronger bottom end- one well kept secret seems to be, the fuelers using 392's required a girdle across the mains and oil pan rails, otherwise the bottom of the engine would blow out and drop the crank and main caps- that was rectified with the low skirt cross bolt design of the RB/B engine"

Tom Vaught