1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LX Coupe LS Heart - First turby LS build!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Disney Lincoln, May 29, 2013.

1. Disney Lincoln

Hahaha. Awesome!!! Sadly I have since sent the old twin turby Lincoln to the crushed. :(

2. mrsparkle

Any updates? Was keen to see this car on the track.

3. Disney Lincoln

Hot side almost done.

uploadfromtaptalk1420506321712.jpg #ad

uploadfromtaptalk1420506357500.jpg #ad

uploadfromtaptalk1420506384597.jpg #ad

4. TDmkr496

I want to see burnout pics!!!

5. Disney Lincoln

That makes two of us!

Started cold side yesterday. Should be easy enough. Gotta Get That Muffler Ordered too.

6. Disney Lincoln

More updates... It's getting there!! All the piping is at Nitroplate getting plated. Can't wait to get it back!!

I've been stuck in interior hell for about three weeks. Converting it to all fresh black interior has been a challenge to say the least. I've spent about 10x what I had budgeted on interior and trims. Let's just say I wouldn't sell you this interior for $1000 because i'd lose money.

Anyways...

Hot Side done:
    [​IMG]#ad

The Hot side is now off and it at Nitroplate to get their super high temp stuff on it. I also sent in the cold side so it would not get heat transfer from the radiator, etc. and will look uniform.

Then my new radiator came in. YAY!!! It's a double pass Northern that I got from Amazon.

[​IMG]#ad

Then I couldn't stand the though pf putting push pins through my pretty new radiator and came up with a new strategy for the transmission cooler. Cheap, stupid, functional.

[​IMG]#ad

The rear end was built by another guy for the previous owner. Apparently all the PO had to do was put the new cover on it. He couldn't do that right. It leaked. So I popped it off. I wanted to verify that it had the Detroit and 3.31 gears. It does. Resealed the cover and it's back together.

[​IMG]#ad

I got a new speedo cable for the TH400 and stock speedo. I was putting it in when I realized that I needed a V8 cluster for the tach to work correctly. hit up TDmonkeyfeller and he sent me his stocker.

Then I decided to drop the trans pan to see if I could get it to seal because it was leaking pretty good. Glad I dropped it!!! He bought the trans from Jakes, but he had to put on the filter and pan. I figured he can't screw that up. YES HE CAN!!! Dude's like Obama, he can screw up a wet dream.
    the filter extension was loose and the fill tube was pulled out of the pump. The pan holes were all puckered up and rough as a cobb. Little work with the ball peen and it's as good as new. New filter and gasket and she is better than ever.

[​IMG]#ad

That's all for today!!!

7. Disney Lincoln

Progress... That's a funny word. Yes, i've done work. No it doesn't seem like it.

I've been working on the Black Interior conversion. That's a tough job.

I got the radiator and e-fan all fitted. Turned out pretty nice.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Then another stupid story.....

When the guy gets the car painted, he bragging on how good the guy did (The paint does look pretty good). He is saying that he pays so much attention and that the pass die door didn't line up and he had to shim it out a whole bunch, and now it's all good etc. etc.

Well, The reason he had to shim it all out was because the door hinge pins and bushings were shot. So I replaced them on both sides. The pass side needed a detent roller too, it was AWOL. Once I got the pins in on the pass side, the door wouldn't shut and looked to be 1/2-3/4" too high at the belt moulding. Find shims, Remove, Fits perfect, door shuts.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the interior as of monday...

[​IMG]#ad

New carpet and floor mats on the way. $80 for floor mats. WTF? Oh well... Gotta pay to play

I hope whoever buys this car appreciates all that went into it. I somehow don't think that will be possible.

8. Disney Lincoln

Sorry, On the fan what you're looking at is a Lincoln Mark VIII fan. I use a piece of aluminum angle iron as a go between. I put nut-serts into the angle, riveted the angle to the fan, and then bolted the angle to the radiator.

For hoses I spent some time in the parts store looking for ones that I thought would work. Brought home, test fit, return./ Repeat at least 3x. Then bought the hoses that worked off Rockauto. Here's a glitch.. The new radiator has 1 3/4" outlet and 1 1/2" inlet. The LS had about 1.25" outlet (inlet to radiator) and 1.625" inlet (outlet of radiaror). So my hoses fit the radiator, but not the engine. I read up, what do other people do. They rig it up, straight up janky stuff. I dig around and find these neat little bushings that go inside the hose. FIXED!!! I thought that was pretty neat. Then I got some of the thermoplastic radiator hose clamps to hold it all on. Pretty neat, gets rid of your traditional hose clamp. One time use only though....

9. Disney Lincoln

Little more progress this weekend. Replaced the door locks with new black ones. Replaced the door handles... Sort of. The American Muscle door handle kit had two left side handles. So The left side is done, I have to order another SET to get a right side handle. Sucks. They id come with nice original style rivets, and look great.

[​IMG]#ad

The window channel felt rubber thingys were dried up and brittle. They crumbled if you touched them. Out with the old!

[​IMG]#ad

In with the new!!

[​IMG]#ad

Of course window sweeps were shot... So they go replaced.

[​IMG]#ad

A-pillar trim was brittle/shot/funky. Replaced that...

[​IMG]#ad

Recovered the rear package shelf.

[​IMG]#ad

Headliner

[​IMG]#ad

An hour into this....

[​IMG]#ad

15 minutes later...

[​IMG]#ad

Did some Dynamat action on the roof. That stuff is amazing.. Adds a few pounds, but my word what a difference in the sound level. It's like each piece you put up it gets better and better.

[​IMG]#ad

So I figure it's good for the floor too..

[​IMG]#ad

Then my homey DJoye came over to give me a hand putting the dash back in.

[​IMG]#ad

More interior dye work.... Did y'all know that every dash vent comes apart into about 50 pieces??

[​IMG]#ad

but it was worth it in the end.

[​IMG]#ad

I thought I was building a Turby LS mustang? Feels more like a restoration project!

10. Disney Lincoln

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

11. cl08

getting there

12. TDmkr496

Interior looks good man, I am still missing my map light lol....

13. Disney Lincoln

Thanks. It's been trying at times. I'm just glad it's finally coming together.

Piping came back from Nitroplate last night. Looks amazing. that stuff is legit.

14. ducatibrian

Looks great inside!

15. flyinhillbilly

Subscribing

16. Disney Lincoln

17. ducatibrian

18. Disney Lincoln

19. Disney Lincoln

One of the toughest parts about the black interior conversion was seat belts. The stock ones wouldn't dye, and new ones are about $350. I thought about it for a while. A long while.. Then I thought about the Lincoln in the garage next to me. It has nice black belts. Wonder if another Ford product has belts I could use? Turns out there is. But our local yards didn't have any. Luckily I travel a lot for work and found myself in Jacksonvile, FL. I went to the local pull a part there and found the belts I needed. The end was different so I got the buckle from the car too. Took a little modification, but the results are great. More modern buckle release too which is nice.

[​IMG]#ad

20. Disney Lincoln