1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

just installed MSD 6530 ignition box

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by turbotater, Dec 28, 2008.

1. brianj5600

With more timing in the distributer you can program it like vacuum advance. Mine is set at 42 and is at 35 at 0 vacuum. Good for highway cruising.

2. pontiac_baron

Initially very impressed.
    Nice weathertight connectors included in the kit make for a painless installation. Haven't seen those in an MSD kit. But I haven't had a newer one, lately

So far, my only complaint is that it hooks to your laptop via Serial Plug.
    This is a substantial bitch, in my opinion

That's an extra $30-40 for an adapter, to make it USB compatible
    Laptops haven't been made with Serial ports in quite some time. My two-year old laptop does not have a Serial port. And, it's a large 17" dell with just about every other plug
    I don't even think Windows 7 will recognize some of the adapters for it

So anyway, yea...an extra $30 to the price of the sucker. $40 for some of the nicer adapters

3. patl

Agreed, the serial port sucks. I dug out my old dell it has the right one.
    Wonder how much more it would cost if they included a few more grommets? :D

What about the map connector? Any of you guys making up your own harness or running it on the short connector?

4. pontiac_baron

No kidding.
    It can't cost any more for the USB port. And far more likely to be used, these days.

I cussed the short wiring harness on the map sensor too, but didn't bitch about it.
    The pigtail is only 6" long, and hardwired to the unit.
    It's a male side of the weathertight fitting. They don't include a female.

If you have a map sensor...you probably have the male pigtail to it.
    Sucks yet again.
    I just cut off the male pigtail on the MSD 6-al and added 2 or 3 feet of wire, to reach the map sensor.
    Would have been nice had they included the pigtail for the other side.

I was almost impressed by this unit.
    Lack of USB and that annoying short map sensor and lack of other side of the adapther gave me several hours work (radio shack doesn't carry any of this)
    Well, they have the USB adapter, but it's $39.00

5. blown385

My Digi 7 box came with a MAP sensor harness . Its about 20" or so long . ( maybe longer :noidea: )

I cant believe the 6530 didnt come with that .

EDIT : now that I think about it , I not sure my Digi 7 box came with it or not . I might have already had it from a previous box .

6. brianj5600

I mounted my map sensor next to my box.

7. pontiac_baron

Probably won't matter....but I read somewhere not to have the vacuum line on the map sensor more than 6" long.
    So, better to have it mounted on the firewall with a short vacuum line and longer electric leads

I wouldn't be surprised if the digital 7 came with the lead. At least a $200 upgrade...so I'd expect a bit more
    The 6530 is pretty reasonable at $350 or so, shipped

I see that damned serial port in your picture, Brian :)
    I just picked up the adapter - cheapest I could find was $26.00. Not a horrible deal....I just hate having to spend a few hours to go pick it up and whatnot

8. brianj5600

Yeah I have read that too long of a line going to the sensor is bad. I can't say I understand it though. How long can it take to fill a 30" long vacuum line? It seems like every combo is different and has to be tuned, so a long MAP line will just need timing pulled .1 second sooner?

9. Greg O

Just got mine today! I have been running with a GM HEI Pertronix distributor and no box so far. I think my spark is weak and am looking forward to seeing how this helps.

Do most of you mount them inside the car? My plan was to mount it on the firewall.

10. pontiac_baron

I'd be more concerned with a rubber line expanding and contracting over a 30" or whatever length.
    Could vary your reading.

6" wouldn't affect it much. 30" maybe?

11. stangboy86

mount it inside the car away from heat, vibration, and the elements

12. blown385

My MAP sensor is next to the box which is mounted inside my glove box . I also use computer case fans to keep it cool ................... Actually two fans are over kill . Only one is plugged in . I'm using 3mm transdapt silicone line . Stuff is awesome !

DSCN4701.jpg #ad

13. patl

With my box installed the engine runs buttery smooth compared to the old HEI. It will idle now, even for long periods too. 8)

14. stangboy86

:2thumbs:

how long did it take you to get it up and running once installed?

15. patl

An hour or so (total install). Haven't programed it yet though. Mounted it in the glove box like everyone else.
    I always liked having an msd with HEI, you can keep your old module with you if you have a problem you can stick it back in and still get home.

16. pontiac_baron

Mounting nicely is what takes the time.

I'm hearing that a lot (if not all) of the serial port/usb adapters aren't compatible with Windows 7, so, everyone is aware
    Another reason it's Chitty they include a serial port

Still a nice box though. Needed....compared to those expensive digital 7's

17. Greg O

Got mine installed and running. Haven't mapped any curves yet because I want to measure the difference of with and without the box with identical timing curves (locked).

I am a little nervous I will admit. I tried the MSD Universal BTM last year (not the 6 BTM, the cheaper one) with terrible results. The car would not "take the gas" off the line and bog horribly. I would go to the pits, pop in my HEI module and the car ran perfect. I am hoping that the 6AL-2 being a better box won't suffer the same symptom. I'll know the 26th when the track opens! :D

Do you guys still gap the plugs around .028-.030 even with the box?

18. franktf

I gap my plugs at .030, seems to work fine.....

19. quicknova

I also just installed mine, guess quite a few of us have been turned onto this box. Can someone post up an example of your tuneup file or pm me one? Thanks

20. pontiac_baron