1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Just finished on3performance install on my cobra. few questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ljinx23, Oct 5, 2010.

1. stangboy86

my buddys on3 kit spools his mp70 like a light switch, 27-2800 its at full boost on a 306 5spd 3:73 gears....68 ex housing.

2. 10secgoal

That would be extremely impressive for that kit and those gears.

3. stangboy86

his car goes sideways in third as soon as the boost comes on. he and i were comparing, i have a pony down kit with a precision pt74gtsh and mine hooks nice on the street, full spool by 3700, its amazing how much harder that little mp70 .68 ex hits the tires compared to mine. i have the same 3:73 gears... i went 12.2 at 125.3 mph shifting into 5th going through the traps at 10psi

4. conbread

i have a fox on3 kit on my car (stock motor) and im running a TC78 with .96 ar, it spools pretty good.. it comes on good by about 3000 and the car has a C4 and 3.27 gear..Im also having small leaks (ticks) on both of the Vband flanges, i have put a small bead of copper silicone on both and it has slowed them down..I have planed to cut the flanges off both headers, and rebuild my crossover to my likings..

if i were you i would try to run a small bead of the copper silicone on the Vbands and put it back togeather and give it another try..

5. ljinx23

Stangboy86, if i could get full spool before 3k, I would be very happy, and im sure i would find the missing torque.

Now, when you say to run a small bead on the vbands, do you mean the point where the 2 pipes butt together, or the actual vband itself?

6. conbread

put some where the flanges meet togeather, then install the clamp and let it setup for a little bit.. Not saying it will fix your leaks but it will slow them down just a little bit..

7. 10secgoal

Not quite apples to orange though. You have the right gear, headers and much less tubing than the mod motor kits.

8. conbread

i wasnt trying to compare mine to his, just stating how my car works and the problems i was having.. then telling him how to try and slow down his exhaust leaks...

also mabey the OP can check his gate to make sure it is closed while the car is at idle and reving it up a little bit..

9. 10secgoal

Oh, when you brought up your car and stats I thought it was for comparison.

10. stangboy86

im a dumbass, both kits i was referring to were FOXBODY kits :doh: :doh:

11. ljinx23

I have seen gaskets to go in between the piping to help seal. Are these worth the $$$, and if so, where can i get them?

12. blacksaleen95

no, vbands are supposed to precise machined surfaces and thats why they seal. Crappy v-bands=headaches. Normally you can get away with block sanding each side lightly to true the surface, and add a thin coat of high temp rtv.

13. 10secgoal

ON3 customers are doing some pretty crazy shit to seal them. The last guy used a muffler repair kit and wrapped it around the joint, then the v-band over it. :doh:

14. 79fairmont

Yeah go on sn95 forums and listen to gearheadz automotive preach about how if you assemble them correctly they won't leak. I don't care how you assemble them if they and warped they are warped. Every on3 kit I have ever messed with was an exhaust leaking nightmare no matter who installed it. I know vband gaskets help and I have used some before with good sucess.

15. ljinx23

TURBO GURUS...

Answer me this if you can?

I have a 2 step on the car. The car is full spool very late (5500). So I set the 2 step on 6k, and tried it. It will not build boost, but on the highway, if i brake boost at 4500, it will build full boost. Thoughts? Exhuast leak, wastegate, what?

16. 73maro511TT

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Your problem is in your rear gear. You have a small motor, and too much mechanical advantage with those 3.73's. The problem is magnified because it's a stick too. You have no torque converter to spool against. The only thing you have is the gears in the back, and the transmission. I'm speaking from experience on this. My 18 wheeler is the same way. Fully loaded to 80000 lbs full boost isn't a problem anywhere because I have weight to load the motor. If I drop my trailer and go running around bobtail, truck alone weighs 19k, I NEVER see full boost (36 psi) unless I'm at a roll in high gear. In the mid gears I'm so light that with 5-10 psi my motor accelerates so quickly I'm grabbing the next gear pretty quick. I can't load the motor enough to see boost and neither can you!!! There's an easy way to test this theory. Find the biggest hill you can, pick a gear and go wot UP the hill. Remember what rpm you went WOT at and note what rpm you made X boost at. Now go find some fat friends. The biggest you can fit in the car without it making the tire rub. Now repeat the test. I GUARANTEE with your friends in the car it will see X boost at least a few hundred RPM sooner.

17. Unatural

Do you just have the 2 step, or do you have a timing retard that comes on with the 2 step as well? Without something to retard the timing, you probably aren't going to see much boost, expecially since your car spools so late as it is.

When I first hooked up the 2 step on my car, without retarding the timing, it would only make a few lbs of boost. With the box pulling 9.9* of timing out (the most it will do), I could make 15 lbs if I wanted. That was with a 60mm turbo on my fairly stock 302. After switching to a 66mm turbo, with the same turbine housing, I was only able to make 9 lbs with everything else the same.

18. ljinx23

I'm not sure. I have the MSD DIS4 ignition, and have the 2 step on a deadman switch. I'll have to look at that....

19. Unatural

I just looked at some info on that box and it looks like it has a built in timing retard similar to what the Digital 6 box that I have does. I have both the 2 step and timing retard wired into the same button, so that way, when the 2 step is activated, it automatically pulls out 9.9* of timing as well. Pulling timing out while on a 2 step does wonders for spool up on a clutch car. You'll have to experiment with it to see what works best, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you.

20. ljinx23

I did just that, and it works great. now the patch of roadway in front of my house looks like the local drag strip...lol :chacha: