1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Just another Fox turbo build :)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Chris91LX, Jul 9, 2010.

1. jaywill

Re: Just another Fox turbo build :) (Beware: long ass intro)

NICE WORK...

2. BOD89LX

Looks great!!!! Can't wait to see some vids of it running.

3. racesloth

Definately X2! What brand alternator relocation kit is that?

4. 5.0calypso93lx

So what did you do to resolve the downpipe flange issue?

5. Chris91LX

Thanks Dan and Bod89lx, what's going with your builds? I'm racing to get mine out before the snow flies.

The alternator relocation kit is the Breeze Automotive kit, they do alot of the replica cobra kit car stuff. I actually bought the Moroso kit but it needed some modifications to work right, so I returned it and bought this one. The belt doesn't grab much of the water pump pulley, but it's pretty tight, we'll see how it cools when I get the POS running. :D

Brian @ B&G said the flanges are designed that way and it will not be a problem.

Still have some other work to do on the car. Going to a buddy's house this week hopefully to have the ARB installed, wiring up the trans brake and OD switches, 3:27 gear swapped in and putting a couple other eyeballs on my work to make sure I didn't fock anything up. :D

6. 5.0calypso93lx

Good to know, I have the exact same issue with my BG DP and my Precision so I was wondering the same thing. It did seem to bolt up fine though when I attached the v band connector.

7. Chris91LX

If it comes down to it I'm sure the DP flange can be machined down a bit to match the turbo flange, but Brian told me they are all designed that way and it will not be a problem. If I end up having to do that I'll probably have the flange redone anyway. I think the downpipe sits a little too close to the header, actually resting on top of it, and I'd like to raise that up a fraction of an inch if I have to make modifications anyway.

I'm actually dreading the start up a little because I'm afraid of all the leaks I may find and have to fix. :bang: :'( :welder:

8. racesloth

Thanks for the tip - I had been considering Breeze Auto - this seals it...

9. Chris91LX

:2thumbs:

No real updates fo rme. I tried to fire it up over the weekend but I must have messed up the fuel pump wiring when I was tucking the wires in the fender. The fuel pump will prime when I turn the key, but won't run when cranking. I'll need to track down the fuel pump wiring to see if I have it hooked to the wrong end of the solenoid. :doh:

10. Djstorm100

The TFI is what sends the singal to the relay to pluse the fuel pump. Take the dizzy holder off and turn the key on and rotate the dizzy. The fuel pump should turn on. Or you could just run it when turn key on.

11. Chris91LX

Ok, thanks. I went home at lunch and tried this. Turned the key on and rotated the dizzy and the pump pulsed on. Tried to start it and the same problem. I can't hear if the pump is on when it's cranking, but the pump turns on when I turn the key and again when I stop cranking. The problem is I'm not seeing any pressure on the FP gauge when its cranking??? I was wondering if I stabbed the dizzy wrong, but wouldn't I see fuel pressure if that was the case? Again, when I jumped the pump directly to the battery yesterday I was showing 45 lbs of pressure on the gauge.

12. Djstorm100

wire the pump on a toogle or just hot wire it and crank the motor... may be ignition switch...if fuel pump kicks on relay is fine....if you can get someone to crank it while you get at the back to listen to the pump and then again to watch the gauge pressure.

13. Chris91LX

I was told the electrical system is set up to turn many electrical components off when cranking to be able to divert as much energy to the starter as possible. The fuel pump is not supposed to be one of those electical components bypassed when cranking. I'm thinking it may be that I just have the wire for the fuel pump relay on the wrong side of the solenoid. Before I start experimenting I'm going to make sure I didn't simply wire it wrong. Also going to check the relay and the fuse link when I get home.

14. slo_ryd

As for the DP resting on the headers, I called Brian about that with my kit. He said that is normal. If thats any consolation lol.

15. mayer5oh

my crossover and DP touch.... just a little rub on the header wrap, oh well.

also on the over flow... ive got mine tucked in neatly behind my front tire behind where the 5.0 badge would be if i had 'em. works good and more weight towards the back :2thumbs: ive seen guys put them in the trunk too but thats more work than i was thinkin it was worth.

16. Chris91LX

Fuel issue is kicking my ass. For some reason I am not getting any pressure. Only getting ~9volts to the pump when cranking, but if i jump the pump directly to the battery I'm getting 42lbs fuel pressure steady. Looks like I'm going to need to check all the wiring this weekend. :bang: :bah:

17. Djstorm100

fuel pump relay.

18. BOD89LX

19. Chris91LX

I tried replacing the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat and it didn't do a thing. The magnafuel kit I run has dual relays (for redundancy) and I doubt they both went bad at the same time, but I'll check that too. I tried jumping the pump directly to the battery while cranking and it still won't start. I have something robbing voltage when cranking somewhere.

20. Chris91LX

Sending the pump and filters to MagnaFuel to have them checked out, can't think of anything else that could be the problem.