1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Just another Fox turbo build :)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Chris91LX, Jul 9, 2010.

1. ssomustang50

Re: Just another Fox turbo build :) (Beware: long ass intro)

how did u make that Granatelli pickup work when it comes -6 return? looks good,id like to do the same thing

2. Chris91LX

Just drilled out the -6 return and made room for a 90* -8 fitting. Turned out to be completely unnecessary, but was simple to do.

3. ssomustang50

isnt the line all 1 piece with the fitting? how did u reconnect the hard line? why was it unnesssary too?

4. Chris91LX

The Granatelli return piece is a tube with -6 fittings on it. I believe it is just tacked on. Cut the tube and work it out and then drill a bigger hole for the -8 fitting. It was unneccessary because you don't need a -8 return line. I know guys who were making twice the power (and fuel volume) I was who had no issues with the -6 return. The -8 return is overkill for what I was running. However, it will not hurt anything other than your wallet to add it.

5. ssomustang50

whats the part #'s on ur fuel pump & filters? how much hp will a -6 return line support?

6. Chris91LX

Not sure on the part numbers, I bought the fuel system as a kit. The pump is the 750.

I have no idea how much HP a -6 line will support, your best bet would be to call Granatelli I guess.

7. Chris91LX

Not a lot of progress to report. Was waiting for some parts and just got them in yesterday. Got most of the vacuum lines run and hooked up a manual boost controller. I was thinking of running it into the car so I could adjust it from the drivers seat, but figure I won't be messing with it too much. I just used standard vacuum lines, do I need to run anything special for this?

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Hoping to get back to work on the exhaust this weekend now that I have the Dp mounted up again. Also have a ARB coming in this week so I can get down the track (eventually) without any drama.

8. BOD89LX

Are your headers ceramic coated?

9. Chris91LX

Yes, I got the black ceramic from Brian and had the headers touched up by a shop in Delavan when I clearanced them.

10. Chris91LX

Exhaust is giving me fits, trying to avoid buying excessive amounts of piping to make a couple simple flow tubes. :bang: Hopefully figure something out tomorrow.

Clearanced the headlight area if I want to make room for more air at the track:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Picked up some new parts to help out my 60', an ARB and upgrade to my UCA's from Baseline Suspensions.

[​IMG]#ad

11. jaywill

nice ! what did u use to open that up like that :huh:

12. Chris91LX

Sawzall to open it up and a carbide bit to clean it up.

13. jaywill

:2thumbs:

14. Chris91LX

I've been spending more time cleaning up and organizing the garage so i can get my wifes car into the garage when the snow starts to fly, but i have been able to get a little more work done. Fabbed up a bracket for the overflow and breather tank.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Need a couple more fittings to run the breather lines, but should be able to finish that up next weekend.

Also got the exhaust mocked up. Thanks to Hemann for the parts I used to put this together. Need to pull the y-pipe out now and finish up the welds. Might look into haveing it coated while I have it out too. Anybody just paint their exhaust???

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. Hemann

Wow. The exhaust looks great. What mufflers are you using?

I don't like were my overflow bottle is and I never thought of putting it in the inner fender area. Thanks for the idea. I will have to see if I have some room in there.

16. Chris91LX

Thanks, I'm running the Dynomax Super Turbos and cat back system. Hopefully I won't see too much restriction.

17. Chris91LX

Finished up the exhaust tonight. Learned some stuff the hard way, like make sure to finish one leg of the y-pipe before going to work on the other and make sure the cuts are even when butting two pieces together. :doh: :welder: Here's some pics.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I'm a little concerned how low the trans pan and oil pan sit. Not that I'm planning to do massive wheelies, but if I come down hard I'm going to do some bad things under there.

[​IMG]#ad

18. TwinTrouble

Chris, you gonna bolt in your Baseline ARB like i did? Pics in my build thread if you are interested. It came out real nice and was pretty easy. This way you can pull it out if/when you fuck up the bar. One of the few good ideas Pratt had...lol

Also, what size wire are you using on your welder? drop it down to the thinnest you can get (.023"?) they should lay down better for you. Either way, your welding is looking like you are a fast learner!

keep up the good work, the car is looking great!

-Shaun

19. Chris91LX

I might have to mount mine that way Shaun. I figure i can do that or just weld all the corners and I can cut them off if it needs to come out for any reason. Thanks for making me scroll though all 10 pages of your build thread to find the pics though, LOL. :bang: :D Helps me to see how weak my welding and fabrication skillz are currently. :bow:

The wire that came with the welder is the .030. I have just been using the autoset feature, but I've had to adjust that for the different material thicknesses. I probably could have gotten a better weld with the wire feed just a bit lower, I just need to get some more welding time and I think I'll get a better hang of it. I'll have to find a bigger project over the winter. :welder:

20. Chris91LX

Made a dinky little hangar for the y-pipe, more for piece of mind than anything else. Not sure if i really like it or not right now. Also hooked up the sensor and wiring for the trans temp gauge.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad