1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Just another Fox turbo build :)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Chris91LX, Jul 9, 2010.

1. conbread

Re: Just another Fox turbo build :) (Beware: long ass intro)

man that thing will make more than 600 easy, very good looking build.. :2thumbs: :cheers:

2. Chris91LX

ot married a couple weeks ago and went on a honeymoon to northern CA, so I didn't get any work done to the "mistress" for a while. :D But I'm back and started in on some of the little stuff when I get an hour or two here and there. Started the new fuel lines from the rails to the regulators, using pushloc stuff I got from RPS, ran the wires from my transbrake to the inside of the car (this is easier to do if you run the wire extensions BEFORE you install the trans in the car :doh: ), installed the driveshaft and wentt o work on relocating the alternator and making room for the air filter.

Picked up the Breeze alternator relocation as recommended by some friends as this should be easier than how I was going to run the belt and keep the alternator from the heat. The bolts were about 1/4" too long though it was only an issue with one that was bottoming out in the block, need to find a 6" 5/16 grade 8 bolt to replace the 6 1/4" one. looks like I'm not going to have any clearance issues with my VC vent.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Also hacked out the front of the headlight area and was able to get the filter in without removing the turbo. Not too happy with the size of the filter so I'm thinking of opening it more so I can get a bigger filter in there, but I may have to remove the airbag sensor in there and I'm not sure I want to do that yet.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. mcj50

Why did you have some an issue with that cold side pipe? That intercooler looks like it could be sitting a little bit inwards from normal but not enough to cause that amount of mis alignment...

Just curious as my stuff went right in (I do have one aluminum and one mild because I wanted 3 inch on both).

Car is looking good. I like the transmission cooler. Mine blocks a lot of the radiator being sandwiched between the intercooler and the radiator.

-Mike

4. Chris91LX

I could have moved the IC forward but didn't want to have to trim the valance on my LX nose so I mounted it flush with the radiator support. I had to get the new cooler because I couldn't fit the old one between the radiator and the IC if i wanted to mount the IC flush. I just wanted the fit to be a certain way and had to modify the pipe & cooler to make it happen. :)

5. BOD89LX

Chris car is looking good!!! How long is your filter?? I am about to put that kit on next week.

6. Chris91LX

Thanks, the filter Brian recommended is 5.5", the one I made room for is 7.25". I have a thread in the "Other Tech Questions" forum about cutting out the front headlight area to make room for a bigger filter. Here's some pics of what I ended up doing:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Probably going to weld up the areas I cut and maybe add a little bracing, but it looks pretty solid.

7. jaywill

nice work :2thumbs: what did u cut that with :huh:

8. Chris91LX

Cut with a sawzall and cleaned it up with a carbide bit. Plan to weld it up a bit when I get a chance. :welder:

9. Djstorm100

Any pictures on how you routed the fuel lines or location of the fuel reg?

Also how the alternator wiring was routed

looks awesome

10. kiddrockHP

got a part number on the trans cooler.... Looking good... One day I hope to have a turbo car up and running....

11. Chris91LX

FPR is mounted between the passenger side shocktower and the frame rail. I ran the return lines back along the fuel rail below the upper intake.

I have the battery relocated to the hatch in a Taylor box, so I already had a 4 guage wire with a 125amp inline fuse running along the passenger side floor to the cut off switch mounted behind the license plate. I can fit the plugs from the wiring harness right now, but will probably extend them so I can tuck them out of sight.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Don't have the part # handy, it's a frame rail cooler I picked up at Jegs for ~$30. Saw it used by another guy on here and picked one up for myself. :D

12. Chris91LX

On a side note, picked this up yesterday which should help with some of the work left to do.

[​IMG]#ad

13. BOD89LX

Chris did the cold side come cut for the MAF??

14. mayer5oh

did you have the fuelrail modified for the dizzy or did you buy them like that? my upr one runs straight into it

15. Chris91LX

Mine are the Behind Bars Race Cars (BBRC) fuel rails. Both fuel rails had the 45* bend on the dizzy side but I had Chris at BBRC cut the 45* end off and rethread it on the dizzy side of the passenger side rail for me as the coolant tube fitting that goes into the lower intake was in the way. My dizzy hits the driver side rail if I try to turn it too much but I haven't had any issues so far.

16. Chris91LX

Re-ran the alternator wiring, didn't have to cut or lengthen the wires at all, just pulled them out of the loom and ran them through the drivers side.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. 5.0calypso93lx

Build looks great, just read the whole thing. Which Precision 76 did you go with? I went back and checked and I didn't see you mention that anywhere.

18. Chris91LX

Thanks. It's the 76HPSH with the Billet comp. wheel.

Welded up some of my hack job on the front. Not so pretty but it appears to be strong. Hopefully my welding skillz will improve as I move forward. :)

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. 5.0calypso93lx

That's a nice turbo for your application. Should work really well. :2thumbs:

20. BOD89LX

Chris where did you mount the Y block for the fuel line's.