1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Is ON3 the worst thing to happen to the Turbo Mustang world?

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by Disney Lincoln, Oct 1, 2013.

1. H.P.Ranch

I think your right on target now. What impresses me is someone spending half as much going just as fast as someone spending twice as much and sometimes faster. After all most of us just want that time slip for braggin rights anyway. Your suppose to go faster when you spend more anyway, right? I guess its like riding in a plane you always have first class and coach but you both arrive at the same destination.

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I agree with that. Just that occasionally folks will post about the quality of the kits, when its pretty well known they are about putting together a cheap kit. And not that there's anything wrong with that. On the other end, I don't think everyone is putting turbos on $4000 cars, hell I can't even find a decent F-body that cheap for a project I'm looking to do, lol. That's part of the reason I've been looking so long, it's going to be ultra cheap. People don't always spend more just for the extra speed, there are people putting together some expensive late model Camaros and Mustangs that are pretty fast, because they also want a comfortable newer car with all the newer features. Creature comforts, basically. There's a place for both types.

3. dj94gt

I see both sides. From a consumer perspective I would love to go fast cheap. However I know that reliability usually falls short when going the "cheap" route. Obviously that's not always the case. So, let me ask this. (It may not be the proper thread, and I'm fine if it gets moved or deleted.) At what point would a consumer move past the cheaper $2000 kit for a $3000-$7000 kit, or complete system? A car that costs $10K to build? $20K? etc? Just wondering. Obviously the numbers say a company will sell 3 cheap kits to one expensive one. Possibly more. I look at the Stainless Works kit for SBF applications. That kit is nice to look at but functionally it sucks. A person would need a 450ci SBF making 3000HP to justify the 1.875" primary tubes, and 3" crossover. Is there a market for those type of mail order kits but with performance proven results to back it up. Obviously 1.625" and 1.75" primary tubes with 2.25" and 2.5" crossovers would cover most applications to 2000HP. In 304SS, American Made, 1/2" CNC cut flanges, etc that setup would probably cost $3000 retail if it were mass produced. Are there enough people building expensive Fox body, SN95, and New Edge Mustangs to put the money into something like that? Thanks for the information.

4. H.P.Ranch

I believe people that would spend that much would want a custom build, one thats built just for there combo. Not a off the shelf build. Like a custom grind cam vs. off the shelf cam. Usually someone that spends that much already has a fabricator working on there car for them. Theres just too many different combos out there to build expensive kits and get stuck with them. I would build kits for the vette guys, they have the money and always pay someone else to do the work.:encouragement:

5. tailites

6. boosted92lx

Funny on3 is at the top of the feedback column here. I have firsthand experience with this company, and am still reeling from the way I was treated by this guy Chad. UN. FREAKING. BELIEVEABLE. I had not one, TWO major component failures in less than 50 miles with this guy's GARBAGE. I'm lucky the wastegate didn't take out my engine when it failed.. But the ceramic BB turbo crapping out and puking it's guts into my oilpan may very well have been the deathnail.

When I emailed him with interest in his kit he was the nicest, friendliest guy I'd ever met... The second I started having problems with his equipment that all changed immediately. AMAZING. COMPLETELY LIVID WITH ON3!!!!!

7. boosted92lx

Did I mention I spent a grand above and beyond the basic kit on upgrades? didn't matter to CHAD. Out of warranty- take a hike. PISSED OFF!!!

8. tailites

well theres a reason guys like to do their own build...

if it breaks...you blame you

9. boosted92lx

Their own build? As in building their own turbo kit? I'm sorry I guess don't understand your comment. I had a brand new unused turbocharger devour itself after replacing a failed waste gate from the same kit. What does that have to do with my own build? Because I didn't fab the pipes the turbo failed??

Sorry, help me out here..

10. boosted92lx

Ok, so I've cooled off a little since last night. I can say that on3 did nothing fraudulent or illegal, in my case, (albiet after reading last night I uncovered the siemens deka scam and am amazed still. Fraud!) But, the customer service honestly is appalling. How can anyone with a business or a conscience treat people the way this guy does? I guess I truly am a sucker for being drawn in by the price. I just thought I could get a little more use out of the stuff than 50 miles before it cratered. Well.. off to buy the turbo I should have in the first place... sorry for getting so wound up guys, I lost it on this one.

11. tailites

ya I detest most turbo companies...I bought used stuff for my TT build...Vecco...from another site

& fabbed up the rest myself...the only problem I had was the exhaust flanges warped & the tubing cracked repeatedly

all I wanted was new exhaust headers to replace the broken stuff...they wanted me to send them back...I sed no

its used...Ill pay for new ones I understand theres no warranty...went back & forth for months...I told them I would send pics

wasnt good enough...I gave up...didnt trust em...the kit is nice tho...the headers are flimsy & need heavier stainless so they last

I like their stuff...but customer service not so much...Im glad I didnt pay full pop...seems everyone has a horror story about

these kit companies...if you can fab up your own its better..Ive actually heard some positive things about ON3 tho

best is probably go to your local speed shop & ask which kit works & fits best & what ones are problematic

anybody with experience should be able to give you a good idea whats best

12. bgjohnson

I went with B&G turbo, took 6 months to get, great customer service.

Having said that, after using the kit for awhile, I should have just built it myself using some flipped 1 3/4 shorty headers and put things exactly where I want it. I did find leaks in their welds, also had the wastegate tube fall off due to the weight of the precision 46s. So I've done modifying and welding and clearencing of the kit as it is. And I'm not too happy with down pipe routing or turbo placement. But that's what you get when it's somebody else designing.

My entrance into the turbo world cost more, if I started with a cheap as Hell kit, I could have learned my lesson with the large expense. That's my only plus on these cheap kits, guys end up making their own and it turns them onto the world of fabrication.

13. tailites

ya...I call it a learning experience...buy a cheap kit & fix it till it fits & works
    or build & fab your own kit...till it fits & works...

one other thing that helps is getting some kind of bracing to connect headers & turbos
    solid to the block...worked like a charm on my car...it reduces cracking & fatigue on
    your headers/exhaust

14. boosted92lx

Well, my on3 downpipe didn't fit without taking a sledgehammer to my floor pan... y pipe didn't work without totally chopping and reworking my old catback it was supposed to bolt up to.. but ya know what? That was all small to me compared to the waste gate crapping out and then the turbo dying. Fixing the piping was easy compared to REPLACING A TURBO AND A WASTEGATE. Next car I turbo I'll build my own piping. I've got a sweet little millermatic mig that makes thing nice. You can bet your lunchmoney I'll never buy chinese components again though. On3 hasn't turned me away from turbos, I love turbos. Love them! What I hate is on3 and their customer service, and the way Chad takes money and the tells you to **** off when you meed his help. I really hope I see the day he goes to jail for fraud or goes out of business. What comes around goes around... sadly the more I read, the more ppl I see getting seduced by the dirt cheap prices just like I did. I got on his thread on corral earlier to try and warn ppl away, but there's the fans carrying on about how great his stuff is... makes me ill.

15. Turbwo

Doing my first LS swap I'm trying to find a used hot side for a Fox body. The on3 was brought up several times as anew option.
    After seeing some of these posts I'm going to work with a local person to assist me in making my own.

16. mcj50

It is all a learning experience. My car is now completely redone from the B&G kit I had early on.

I currently have a heavy duty mount attached to my passenger head that the turbo flange is bolted to. Then added C&G headers, which I don't love because they are a bit too tight to the engine. Fabbed the cross over and merge from the headers and into the turbo mount.

I also have precision 46's and have learned that on the standoffs you want to use heavy gauge pipe and NOT have the exhaust flow pointed directly at a welded joint.

I have watched the on3 drama and while the owner is a moron, he has produced entry level junk that gets people into the realm of turbos. There is a market for what he does.

17. turbomalibuwagon

My opinion. Want cheap you get cheap . I have no sympathy for the people who bought this product from on3 and had turbo, waste gate, or blowoff valves failure. cracking pipes, welds ,and other things of that sort. You get what you pay for . However the things being sold as a kit should fit without any hacking the pipes and re welding. Hoses and lines should be long enough to be installed As supplied. If you are going to fab the stuff your self why not save money and fab it yourself. That to me is the real issue.

18. tnuce10

I am local to On3 and actually went to their location to pick up my kit. I have yet to install it, so I am not able to comment on fitment yet.

But there has been a few times when I had questions for Chad regarding the kit or other parts he sells (their coolant crossover deletes seem to be nice pieces) and he has always gotten back to me quickly and been fairly helpful.

Once or twice, his response was basically a link with "you can find that info here" which is fine as long as it answered my question.

I have heard a lot of terrible stories regarding their customer service, so maybe I am one of the lucky few, but I have no complaints so far.

19. tnuce10

I just realized how much I probably look like one of the questionable posts earlier in this thread.

I assure you I have absolutely zero affiliation with On3. I am just more of a lurker than a poster on this forum.

20. Tom04

Hey guys this is my first post so take it easy on me.

I stumbled across this thread while researching on3 turbos for a Bonneville race car. I understand that the kits are junk. I'm not looking for a kit and will be custom building everything. My question is are the problems mostly from fitting the kit into the car or with the function of the turbos?

With the exception of the one poster that described a failed waste gate and turbo bearings, have there been other component failures from people who have been able to fit the kit into their cars? Also, any opinions about if the quality of the components have changed over the years. Understand that my project will probably not see more than 200/miles in its entire life.
    Thanks for any feedback.