1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Intake manifold design

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by smackary, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Boost Engineer

Thought about doing this several times:

Put a closed plenum on the top of the Tunnel Ram.
    Install a feed tube in the middle of the Tunnel Ram Intake Runner Sets that send the boosted air upward where it bangs off the closed plenum roof.

NOW THE TUNNEL RAM ACTS LIKE A FORD GT-40 INTAKE MANIFOLD (except the plenum is not on the side, It is above and the runners to the ports are straight, not curved).

I can create an excel file that shows what I mean and add it in another post.

Tom Vaught

2. Boost Engineer

Here are images of a tunnel ram like I was talking about:

1) So you remove the Plenum attached to the Runner Base.

2) You create a feed tube that goes from the water crossover area of the front of the intake to the center or the intake then travels upward between the 4 runner groups.

3) You make a sealed roof/plenum that covers all of the intake runner sets (runner sets have a smooth entry to each runner) and the feed tube of whatever volume plenum you can package.

4) You feed the intake with air from the front mounted Inter-cooler discharge, thru a throttle body, between the left and right tunnel ram runners, then upward to the plenum entrance.

5) The air bangs off the roof of the tunnel ram top and evenly feeds all of the runners in the tunnel ram.

6) I was planning on removing the water cross-over/thermostat housing and using a remote deal so the whole front of the valley area was wide open for the feed tube.

Tom Vaught.

NASH.jpg #ad

images.jpg #ad

attachment.jpg #ad

3. Boost Engineer

Last but not least I attached a Ford GT-40 Intake manifold picture showing the feed tube and the plenum and the top set of curved runners.
    Image those 4 runners are 1/2 of a tunnel ram set for one bank and the picture is rotated counter-clockwise so that the throttle body is down and the plenum is left to right.

Make the feed tube curved 90 degrees to the left (vs straight down as the photo shows) with the TB now on the left.

Hope this helps. Do not have access to CAD at home.

Tom Vaught

GT_40_intake.jpg #ad

4. ducatibrian

Just find a picture of the intake manifold on john mihovitz's 4.6 with the bottom fed plenum hogan intake

5. Boost Engineer

John Milhovitz is an old Super Street racer who went from being just another Ford Competitor to one bad Dude with his Turbocharged Cougar.
    I have known John since 1998. Still buy a Accufab part every so often from him for a special project.

Got the link to that Hogan manifold. Want to see how close it is to my deal.

Tom Vaught

6. ducatibrian

Let me find a good picture of the bottom fed plenum one

7. steveD

8. ducatibrian

uploadfromtaptalk1391493533775.jpg #ad

Example of bottom fed plenum from mihovitz's 4.6 combo

uploadfromtaptalk1391493533775.jpg #ad

9. Boost Engineer

Thanks for the Bottom Feed manifold picture!

Tom Vaught

10. ducatibrian

Your welcome sir!

11. AlkyV6

Back on the intake project. A few pictures on the progress to date. I'm on the last big fabrication project of the manifold. Trying to figure out the design for the front section of the intake.

2014-01-28 16.52.01.jpg #ad

2014-01-30 10.22.42.jpg #ad

2014-02-03 13.36.27.jpg #ad

2014-01-30 10.22.20.jpg #ad

12. AlkyV6

I know the throttle angle is not the best. I'm still fighting with the placement and angle. If I go with the placement in the previous pictures, I have the idea to use flow vanes inside the plenum to help equalize flow and pressures. I realize the best placement would be to have some downward feed angle into the plenum.

13. Boost Engineer

What about moving the TB a few inches farther forward and doing a shallow angle downward? That way the blade angle will have less effect of the flow to the runners.

Tom Vaught

14. Drac0nic

You guys and your amazing intakes. :)

I have a goofy question for you guys, I was kind of thinking about this tonight. Has anyone actually measured the pressure wave on an intake like this using a MAP sensor, be it at the runner or running a tube down further towards the valve? Just curious what you found out from it, not only that but I would think if you did multiple test points (basically datalog a chart with respect to time you could ultimately learn a lot about stuff like taper, wave strength and propagation delay of the wave if the system is responsive enough (oddly I'm not sure about the responsiveness of a MAP sensor, after electronics would be easy.) You could Besides this I think it could be interesting to see what the difference in each runner was. It may not work as well as I think either because of the way air flows through a runner and variances, but figure I'd throw it out there.

15. AlkyV6

That would be better. I'm fighting with an existing hole in the hood, trying to figure out how to best fill it. My most radical configuration would be to mount the throttlebody way upstream and have the taper from the throttle body to the plenum start right after the throttlebody and through the turn needed to get to the plenum, widenening to plenum width by around the point where the throttlebody is shown in the pictures. The taper after the throttlebody maintaining no more than a 14 degree included angle. That would certainly add the plenum volume I'm hoping for.
    I've seen that idea used in Indy applications.

16. Boost Engineer

John Meany (The BIG STUFF 3 EFI Guy) ran a MOPAR Drag car years ago. He was the first guy I ever saw with the TB located close to the Front Mounted Inter-cooler and used a long tube to the intake.
    He set a record with his car in its class, so how bad could the design have been?

Tom V.

17. AlkyV6

Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I think I will work on that angle for the front section of the intake. It will be more work to build, but hopefully, it will be worth the effort. Why start making things any easier for myself at this point?

18. ducatibrian

I have seen many outlaw 10.5 cars with remote mounted throttle bodies, for various reasons :)

19. AlkyV6

Here's a better overview of the progress on the manifolding, up to this point. And the existing hole in the hood that I want to creatively fill, and not have to bother with.
    The shop rag to the right of the turbo inlet is the piping coming from the intercooler to feed the plenum.

2014-01-28 13.41.00.jpg #ad

2014-01-30 10.23.15.jpg #ad

2014-01-30 10.23.35.jpg #ad

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  20. AlkyV6

I suppose I could mount the throttle body just after the point where the rag is, above the inlet area to the turbo. Then the piping after the throttle body would immediately begin to taper as it moves towards the front of the plenum, including through the turn.