1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Intake manifold design

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by smackary, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Drac0nic

I was more talking about the pulse hitting the valve when it was closed.

2. Bettonracing

180deg out of phase would mean a low pressure wave hitting the valve when it opens (with the air momentum traveling away from the valve). Definitely a condition that's less desired for filling the cylinder.

However, change the rpm, change the "pulse phasing"...

Regards,
    Kurt

3. AlkyV6

My new intake project is moving along. The intake runners bolt to the intake flanges and were machined by myself on a manual knee mill.
    I'm presently working on the plenum and the runner entry plate contour.

IMGP2778rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2778rs.jpg #ad

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. AlkyV6

The initial layout for the plenum.

664652_10151190438163644_17.jpg #ad

664652_10151190438163644_17.jpg #ad

5. AlkyV6

The sheet metal for the plenum is back after being bent up. Lots of work still to do on it.

IMGP2803rs.jpg #ad
    IMGP2802rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2803rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2802rs.jpg #ad

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. AlkyV6

I'm going to try out some new nitrous distribution blocks I machined up.

IMGP2801rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2801rs.jpg #ad

7. PrecisionTurboMustang

8. AlkyV6

Some progress on the nitrous system plumbing.

IMGP2804rs.jpg #ad
    IMGP2806rs.jpg #ad
    IMGP2807rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2807rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2804rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2806rs.jpg #ad

9. Boost Engineer

Food for thought on Throttle Body Placement:

If you need a given Plenum Volume, sometimes you can move the Throttle Body farther upstream, (closer for example to a front mount inter-cooler), eliminate the blade effect on the flow, and get the better distribution that you need (when package constraints do not allow the typical Hump Back "Wilson" style Intake shown in post #35.

John Meany, the founder of DFI Fuel Injection, Fel-Pro Fuel Injection, and BIG STUFF 3 Fuel Injection (over many years) ran the described Throttle Body position on a very fast twin turbo MOPAR engine many years ago and it worked very well.

Tom Vaught

10. AlkyV6

I've thought about that configuration. It's still a possibility.
    The latest plenum configuration I've been thinking of is going to be very unique. I won't be going any further with the plenum until the engine is back sitting in the engine bay so that I can check clearancing, but the idea I have is to redirect the airflow after the TB to the upper section and maybe the lower section of the plenum and have the air enter the plenum from above and below through long slots with directing vanes to help equalize flow entering the plenum through the slots.
    Some latest pics of the finished nitrous plumbing.

IMGP2811rs.jpg #ad
    IMGP2821rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2811rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2821rs.jpg #ad

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  11. AlkyV6

I've been adding o-ring grooves to the sealing surfaces.

IMGP2834rs.jpg #ad
    IMGP2837rs.jpg #ad
    IMGP2841rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2834rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2837rs.jpg #ad

IMGP2841rs.jpg #ad

12. AlkyV6

Could someone please explain the equation shown in the first hand drawn eliptical flare example in simple layman's terms for someone that is very rusty on his math? I am very interested in coming up with a rectangular shaped runner entry using this radius form. I'll be machining the entrances manually.
    I can make out that the height of the runner entrance is 75% of calculated runner diameter. I'm lost on the equation of lemniscate, not to mention that the hand drawn equation is not clear enough for me. I read is as, radius squared = 2 times K squared ? cos 2?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  13. AlkyV6

I cheated and broke out the Cad program. Now, it should simply be a matter of dimensioning the coordinate locations at particular intervals along the x or y axis of the elliptical curve.

Elliptical flare runner entrance rszd.JPG #ad

Elliptical flare runner entrance rszd.JPG #ad

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  14. millerman340

So I've thought of making my own intake also but... How bad is the distribution of a open plenum 4bbl intake with a wilson elbow? I know there not much plenum volume...

15. AlkyV6

The problem with using a Stage II 4 barrel carb manifold for the Stage II Buick V6, is that a few of the runners meet the head ports at a very radical angle. Not the best way to assure equal flow distribution. Besides, this is an intake manifold "design" thread. Not an intake manifold adapt thread.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  16. millerman340

I'm well aware of that, was just wandering does that design suffer from a direct inlet.... I have to make a box style for my engine as the NASCAR intake is supper tall......

17. stangman9897

Saw this on another forum and thought it is a work of art, all billet and not 1 weld. It's for a Ford GT.

Intake.jpg #ad

Intake1.jpg #ad

18. TurboCamaro

Does anyone have experience with running ITB's and Turbo's? I am in the initial stages of designing an ITB intake for a Twin Turbo'd SBC. Would a header deal blowing into the Turbo's work well or a plenum on each bank be best. From there what would be the best size and length primaries or size and shape of plenum?

19. stangman9897

Your going to have to let Tom aka Boost Engineer answer that one, or AlkyV6 might can chime in on that one. I would think you would have to have a box that will fit over all of them and don't know if a turbo for each bank would be best. Tom can answer that for you , just give him a day or to .

20. Boost Engineer

In the 1960s a Racer named Ohio George Montgomery ran a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang race car with Dual Plenums. A special Aircraft Bendix Fuel Injector was used for each Plenum). Photos of the engine can be seen on this link. (If someone wants to load some of the photos into the thread that would be fine too.)

http://bangshift.com/gallery/ohio-georges-69-mustang-turbo-gasser-gallery.html

A couple of thinks about his set-up:

1) You will notice that some of the intake runners are paired to cross-over to the opposite plenum. This was done to even out the intake runner pulse timing into the plenums.

2) The T/B Injectors were designed to feed the fuel thru the Turbos (A draw-thru system).

3) The runners were fairly long by today's manifold standards.

4) The headers feeding each Turbo used a "Tri-Y" Header design to pulse the turbos based on the firing order for that bank.

5) The plumbing used aircraft type "Marmon Flanges" and clamps (we see that often today but not at all in the 60s.

6) Some history on the car: http://www.georgesspeedshop.com/Ohio_George/MGG_Mustang.html

The car would run 8.22 at 173 as a "Door Car" making 1800 hp on Sunoco 260 Pump Gas.

The Ford Turbo Guy for the project was an engineer named Danny Jones. His father-in-law was the famous Clay Smith of Clay Smith Cams.

I worked with Danny Jones daily for the first 7 years of my career at Ford. I asked him a lot of turbo questions, LOL (;>)
    Danny was also Ford's INDY Turbo Expert.

Tom Vaught