1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

If you have an AEM and have had problems please open

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Trentk, Nov 3, 2005.

1. qikazz

I am having a CONSTANT problem with my AEM... Every time I hit a fairly good sized bump in the road, the car will sometimes completely shut right off, or it will start popping and sputtering as if something was jarred loose. It NEVER did this with the factory computer, but does it all the time with the AEM.

I can't figure out what it is. Has anyone else had this problem?

qikazz

2. TurboShortBus

How is it mounted? Rigidly bolted to something, or insulated? Try dangling it from the harness and see if the bump problem continues. Or, start the car and wiggle 1 wire at a time at the ECU to see if anything happens.

Mark

3. DaleM

Mark,

Did you ever get the '94 tuned?

-Dale

4. rickyhaiber

Send the box back to AEM if all else fails. Maybe during any shipping or install (or maybe however you have it mounted) has caused something inside the box to become loose. Another possibility is what TurboShortBus has suggested, maybe somehow a wire(s) is loose going into the box and that could also do that.

When I had my AEM box years ago, I sent it back to AEM and they fixed my problem for really cheap and didn't have it for that long, so it might be worth looking into, especially if you bought the box used.

5. TurboShortBus

Hey Dale!

It's somewhat tuned, but not perfect. I installed the air-water intercooler last February (just in time for the FFW SBSO here in Orlando), but now it has a dangerously lean spot about 3/4 through the rev range in 3rd and 4th gears. If I turn the IC pump off and just leave hot water in the core, then I don't have that lean spot. Strange.

I honestly have not played with it since March, because I've been running my 2004 GT in open track events with NASA Florida. Unfortunately, now that I've tried open track events, my days at the dragstrip are in jeopardy! I've been meaning to get the poor 94 out of the garage, really I have, but I've been busy for the last several months with the 04 as well as building the 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that we ran in the 24 Hours of LeMons last weekend (and somehow pulled a 7th place finish out of our asses, out of 79 cars that started and 43 that were running at the end). I'll probably get rid of the bigs n littles on the 94 and convert it to more of a road race suspension setup.

I need to start searching around to find out what that lean spot with the IC pump running is all about. The only thing I can think of is the fact that the car is now speed density and not MAF, so the fuel map needs to be recalibrated for the cooler/denser air (although the manifold pressure is pretty much the same). Am I on the right track, or derailed? I also still have the IAT sensor on the inlet elbow, and not downstream of the blower, so that needs to be relocated someday.

Mark

6. eades5.0

When I got my AEM something was rattling around inside after shipping, i called AEM and they said it wasnt the 1st time they have had this happen. There is a small chip like piece that clips into the processor. They said send it in, or take a look.

I opened it and sure enuff it had unseated itself. Plugged it back in and was good to go.

If anything sounds loose inside this may help.

Chris