1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

If you have an AEM and have had problems please open

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Trentk, Nov 3, 2005.

1. 94scstang

Been running my AEM for 2 1/2 years now I got the mustang version the first week it came out. Its worked okay I did have the timing error at first but was able to fix that with a setting. last weekend I upgraded from 1.03 to 1.19 and I got some missfiring but was not getting timing errors. I need to work on the dwell and see if that will fix it but other then that the box is great. Did anyone get missing but no timing errors which they think was releated to the AEM?

2. TurboShortBus

We're hitting the dyno tomorrow night (Thursday 03 01 2007) to tune the AEM on my 1994 GT, with Jay Meagher at the keyboard. Not shooting for tons of HP, but just a safe tune that I can bracket race with at Fun Ford this weekend.

Mark

3. rickyhaiber

Good luck, and I'm sure he'll do a great job with it. He knows his stuff and tuned mine very well.

4. TurboShortBus

Thanks, Ricky...I'm not even worried about it. I'm sure he'll have it running fine by the time we're outta there.

Mark

5. Candyshop

Does that issue concern some other plug and play units like for supra's etc? Or more in the universal or Ford ecu?

6. TurboShortBus

Strange ignition/misfire problems seem to be in 5.0L Fords with aftermarket MSD distributors (or non-OEM Ford stators in the distributors). I'll know more about this in about 7 or 8 hours from now, with my MSD distributor hanging off the front of my 4.6L DOHC with SN95 AEM running the show.

Mark

7. Brillko

Msd is a crappy timing manufactorer. I had so much truble with it. went from sweden to belgium for King of europe. Brand new dist plug with sensor. a week before another guy here hade mist in it. And so do i... IT never started. So i had to pull out a mag sensor out of my van and build a new unit with hose clamps and more.

And i was in the first line of digital6. 2 broke... their coils broke. 3 of my 8 coils hade gone last year.

We still havving 1000+ timing errors each run, some om them make my helmet crasch in the steering wheel... but still its a 7.50 car. We use 60-2 trigger. and ecxhanging it to a 4 trigger unit.

Our AEM (universial) box had inj driver 6 error. it shorted inside the box. so we drove last year in a group fire state. sending it over for replacement now.

Also leaving mag sensors and going for honywell gt series hall types.

Tuning wise... its a awesome product. And we will run it... Its going to work this year... ;)

But i love it anyway... best ever ECU i have...

8. fastwhite86gt

so no one has had problems with the ignition problems with a ford dizzy? I'm thinking of getting a plug n play AEM. I know mark got one for his. Is it easy to get going on it mark?

9. TurboShortBus

It's not bad if you just use your head a little bit and don't bite off too much at once. My program is getting there. I'll be screwing with it a little more this week, and definitely over the weekend. Here's my progress so far:

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,17984.0.html

Once I get the fuel figured out, I'll let you know how the MSD dizzy (with generic parts-store stator) works.

I like the plug-and-play idea much more than hacking the hell out of my wiring, like I'd have to do with FAST, BS3, or Gen-7. I think it's great that AEM even bothered to make a PNP setup for 1994-95 Mustangs, since many companies skip over these cars when it comes to aftermarket parts.

Mark

10. eades5.0

Ran my car Sat, 3 passes 126-130mph range
    No timing errors, stock dizzy

11. TurboShortBus

Timing errors don't show up with a stock Ford dizzy, but only with an MSD aftermarket dizzy. If I run into that for sure, then I'll throw a Ford stator in the MSD and see what happens. Or, I'll just use the dizzy for the cam signal, wire up the crank trigger, and run it like everybody else runs their FAST/BS3/Gen7.

Mark

12. eades5.0

I" also ran the MSD dizzy w/o errors, the car just started like complete shit

13. qikazz

Well, what happened?

qikazz

14. TurboShortBus

Nothing productive that night. Something was acting dumb with the MAP sensors I was trying, so I just put it back to MAF that night and bracket raced the truck at FFW the next day.

I've been messing around with my own speed density tune since then, and I'm making a little bit of progress. Basically, I started out with the supplied stock 1994 GT speed density program, switched to 42 lb injectors, reset the TPS range, and copied in the fuel map from a Nissan SR20DET (supplied by AEM), messed with the idle settings a bit, and it's running a bit better. I'm going to run some datalogs this weekend and get them to Jay.

Mark

15. IcantDo55

Subscribing.... :D

16. TurboShortBus

Just to confirm...I've been having random ignition problems with my MSD dizzy and generic replacement stator (I mis-wired the Crane box a while back and smoked the stator that came with the MSD). Now that I'm jobless, I finally got around to picking up a new Ford stator and I swapped it in tonight. Although I haven't datalogged it to see how many timing errors I now have (I had a shitload of them several weeks ago), I'm now able to rev it cleanly to 6000 rpm without the previous ignition stupidity (missing and hitting a wall around 3500 or whenever it felt like it), with an air/fuel of around 11.8:1. Now, I can start some more serious tuning.

Mark

17. snipizo

has anyone used a brand new ford dizzy?..they would work just as good as an old used one right?

18. David88vert

I have a AEM on my supercharged 92 LX. I use the stock dizzy. My car drives like factory - no stumbling, or missing. It took a little while to work little issues out, but that wasn't the box. I've tuned Haltech, Motec, AEM, etc. AEM is very easy to work, and has lots of functionality. Like with all EMS, you have to take time to work out little tuning tweaks.

On AEM support - they have always been helpful and quick for me. I keep their number in my cell phone. :)

19. TurboShortBus

I do too, but I can almost never get Henry or Devin on the phone, and neither one return voicemails.

Mark

20. wide winger

Anybody with AEM tunning experience live close to or want to come to Indianapolis and get the AEM set up, pluse do a little tunning after I complete my build on a '93 LX (willing to pay for services) ? :D