1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

If you have an AEM and have had problems please open

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Trentk, Nov 3, 2005.

1. TurboShortBus

I ordered my AEM earlier this week. We'll see what happens in a few days!

Mark

2. rickyhaiber

Yeah...if you get Jay to do the tuning on your AEM you will be happy. Car is still running well after he tuned it and the biggest plus is no popped head gaskets after probably hundreds and hundreds of full throttle runs on the street. And I have been daily driving the car since he tuned it every day.

3. TurboShortBus

And I'm not in the mood to change head gaskets on this 4.6L DOHC!

Mark

4. Mick

I thought the BS3 was the hot ticket with the 4 valve mod motors.

5. TurboShortBus

I'm not sure how any one type of EFI system is better for any one particular type of engine. Besides, I'm not in the mood to spend $2000+ or to rewire the car to run a Gen7/FAST/BS3 box while keeping the stock ECU hanging there to run the gauges. The AEM seems like the easiest way to go, and I'm getting a helluva deal on it.

Mark

6. rickyhaiber

Yeah the AEM can be a pain and gives some people trouble...but if you have someone who knows how to use it, it can do everything you want it to do.

7. TurboShortBus

And that's where Jay comes in!

Mark

8. sneakypony

AEM works great if everything is up to par. It can be picky, but the system is great..

9. Mick

I've had a lot of good luck with my AEM using the old v0.97 software. Just wondering why Mark didn't jump on the BS3 train. Now I know why. You must be itching to dirve that car again! Been a while.

10. TurboShortBus

I've been driving it for a little over 2 months with the stock 1994 EEC4 and an EEC-Tuner. I even had it at Race Rock on Thursday for the car show before the Street Nationals. It drives great, but races like ass. I like the ability to just unplug the EEC4 and plug in the AEM.

Mark

11. rickyhaiber

Yeah...the AEM is a nice piece...when I first got it in my car it was a nightmare for me. None of the local tuners could get it right and I almost sold the thing. Then I got a free ticket to and from florida on the autotrain and took my car to florida. Central florida turbo and a few other people in florida couldn't figure it out and it popped head gaskets 3 times :bah: I even had those guys tell me that a rough idle (not holding a steady RPM) was natural for a standalone and that it couldn't be fixed

finally I took the car to Jay Meagher and he fixed my " 0 psi of boost " problem, the idle, studder under light throttle, and safely tuned it and the car has not popped anything (yet) after more abuse than it deserves as a daily driver :angel:

when i get the r-block put in and upgrade everything possibly over the winter I am considering taking the car back down there from Maryland to Florida, and letting Jay tune it again b/c I feel it is worth paying to get it done right than have it blow up after I sink more money into it.

12. Mick

If my tuner screws up I would just look in the mirror and yell. So far I haven't had to yell. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

13. DaleM

Mark,
    Let me know how the AEM works out.
    I am very pleased with mine so far... :D
    -Dale

14. eades5.0

subscribing

15. 83-88T-Bird Guy

Oh boy! I was all set to order one for my SN-95 to 94 Lightning swap!

16. TurboShortBus

I talked to 2 AEM guys at the PRI show here in Orlando on Friday. They said that the distance between the vanes of MSD distributors varies, not necessarily the non-Ford stator that MSD uses. I have another spare MSD distributor lying around in the garage, so I'll take the vane cup out of it and measure the distance between each of them, and do the same with my stock Ford vane cup. I'll post what I find.

At the worst, I'll just pirate the stock Ford stator and vane cup from my original distributor and dunk it in my MSD distributor.

Mark

17. tt90lx

After countless hours (almost a 1/2 year totall) in the front seat of my car staring at a computer screen untill I was zombified, and several fruitless phone calls too aem :huh: I finally got my car running, just to waste both head gaskets the next day :bang:. Turns out 1,2,7 cylinders were getting no too low voltage, while 3,4,5,6,8 recieved full battery voltage(biggest waste of money of my life time). I got smart and purchased an XFI F.A.S.T. unit........Problem Fixed

18. rickyhaiber

Sounds like you obviously didn't know what you were doing, then. Funny how you blame it on the box...but hey that's the easiest thing to do, right?

Been running one in my daily driven car for a long tim enow and have had no problems from the AEM box. A lot of people have had trouble tuning the AEM by themselves, but there are guys out there who know how to use them and they're just as good as any other standalone for a much cheaper price and easier installation as it plugs right in to the factory harness.

Sounds like you definately had some problems trying to do it yourself and that you just couldn't do it, but I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the box itself. The box just happened to outsmart you. :2thumbs:

19. redcam622

same problem ...drove around for a while and played with the fuel map and everything went away.

20. PBR

After ~ month getting to know mine I no longer have complaints and it's a damn site easier to use than my old Tweecer was :eek: