1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

If you have an AEM and have had problems please open

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Trentk, Nov 3, 2005.

1. LRD VDR

You bringing lots of cash aslo RIGHT? :D

Shahram

2. David Neibert

{edit } nevermind

3. 572foxstang

I had an AEM 30-1400 on my 408 powered coupe(9.5 to 1, hyd roller, good street motor) I drive the car about 4 days a week. Al Moody did the dynoing and tuning on the engine dyno and it made 523hp and 530ft/lbs with the stock computer. Al told me that the motor ran very well but I had to go out and buy the AEM. It was a $3000+ mistake and a large head ache. I purchased computer, duel wide bands, and spent 10 hr on a chassis dyno and about 6 of on the road tuning. the chassis dyno we use used is a load bareing one so we were able to load the car in each cell. With the stock computer my two main complaints were you had to start the car 3 or 4 times when cold and hunting idle with the air con on. Some time the car may die at a stop light with the air on. I put the AEM on and fixed start problem but caused new problems. It would miss occationally, hunting idle, did not make any more power, car would buck on coast down from about 2000rpm to 1600rpm, down right unpredictable, you would set it and think you had it correct(It would be runing great and all of a sudden go to pot) and it would unfix its self. I to every thing back off and put the stock computer back on(working on a way to fix idle with air problem, can live with cold morning start) I am trying to sell the stuff. DROVE ME BANANAS!!!!!!!!! I am much happer with out it!

4. 428GT

Man there are soo many horror stories with AEM's. I have to post up a positive one. I did have problems with some timing errors @ 4600 to 4800 then took out the brand new MSD distributor and no problems since. The driveability is unbelievable compared to the SCT chip I had before. It used to buck like crazy at any RPM below 2600, now I can drive as low as 1400 without any bucking. The car even made more power and torque on the dyno (42 rwhp and about 54 rwtq more). I haven't been to the track yet though...I am planning a trip in the middle of June. My only complaint is there is a bunch of crap to learn.

5. slow1990gt

I havent had prob's yet..good luck

6. slowstang101

I can tell you first hand dont use anything but the Factory distributor. Mine wouldnt rev above 5k rpms with a Remanufactured dizzy and gave 30 timing errors when it hit the wall.

I swapped the guts out of my old 302 dizzy into the 351 dizzy and BAM 6500rpms. A lot of these timing issues can be fixed by running a factory stock ecu.

7. mld54

I have had my AEM about two years, ran a EPEC with a stand alone harness before. the learning curve for the AEM was a little steeper than the EPEC, but I'm very happy with it now. At first I got timing errors all the time, but now I may drive it a couple of weeks with out any errors, I forget about it then every once in a while it will will get one. They always happen at low load around 22-2300 rpm, working with the dwell settings has almost cured the problem. I still run the stock distributor that came in the car, and the drivability is almost like a stock car until I get on it. My biggest complaint is the long crank, it's usually 4 or 5 seconds.

8. Mick

I don't mind that too much. I think the engine may like the fact that the oil pump is starting to do its job before the engine fires.

9. Mike SVOR

Do you have a link to this?
    This would be for a 302/351 right?

10. sss510

My setup is a little different it`s an inline six turbo N20 1971 Datsun 510 with an AEM EMS 1040 Honda unit modified to run a Ford 36-1 crank trigger and a 2005 V6 Mustang cam trigger in a modified Datsun distributor.The EMS would not function without missfiring until the 36-1 wheel was changed to a 12 tooth wheel and all misfire problems have ceased.It worked so well the friend who owns a shop and is helping me with this project had 24-1 crank angle wheels CNC machined for use in both Nissan and Mitsubishi crank angle sensors.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sss51...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

&mode=related&search=[/url]

11. TurboShortBus

Hmm, this is a pretty interesting thread. I'm considering buying an AEM for my 1994 Mustang GT. The engine in my car is from a 2003 Cobra, but I converted it to a distributor drive and I'm currently using the stock 1994 5.0L engine harness, stock 1994 5.0L T4M0 computer, and an EEC-Tuner.

I'm curious about all of the problems that AEM users have with MSD distributors. I have an MSD distributor on mine, since that's pretty much what I had to use (billet housing...couldn't modify the stock cast one like I needed to) in order to build the dizzy conversion. I have read the posts on the AEM forums about this subject. It seems that the majority of the people using the AEM ECU / MSD dizzy combo have Fox Mustangs.

I've been a member on the Yahoo EEC-Tuner group for a couple of years now. Interestingly enough, there are plenty of people there who have had problems with MSD dizzys. It's the same deal...car runs badly with the MSD dizzy, but slap and old, dirty Ford dizzy in there, and it runs like a top. Also, lots of these guys seem to have Fox Mustangs.

Now, the problem seems to be happening with Fox Mustangs in both of the above situations. This is not to say that SN95 Mustangs are immune, but they aren't as popular to mess with. There has been discussion on the EEC-Tuner list that the MSD dizzys do not use the proper TFI module (there are a couple to choose from, but only one is correct per application).

Now, to say that MSD makes a shitty distributor seems a little out of place. With these distributors, there are really only 2 parts that could affect how the engine runs: the TFI module and the stator. I doubt that the "window hat" inside the dizzy could affect much, and they seem to have pretty good tolerances with the shafts and bearings.

EEC-Tuner group problems seem to mention the TFI modules as being the wrong ones (possibly) straight from MSD. I'm wondering if anybody bothered to disassemble an MSD dizzy, swap out the TFI module and stator for OEM Ford pieces, and see what happens.

My 1994 setup (and all 1994-95 setups) wipes out half of that equation. Since my original TFI module is mounted over on the fenderwell under the hood, swapping the dizzy does not affect that part. I would only have an aftermarket stator to deal with. This might help to narrow things down a bit. However, in my infinite wisdom a few weeks ago, I bad-wired my Crane ignition box and smoked the stator out of the MSD dizzy. I replaced it with an $18 version from the local parts store. Whether it's as good/bad as the MSD piece or even the OEM Ford piece remains to be seen. I might just roll down to the local Ford dealer and allow them to rape me for a stator, and swap it into my MSD dizzy just to have all OEM ignition parts.

Maybe somebody else could shed some light on this. Has anyone mixed/matched stators and TFI modules with their MSD dizzys and AEM ECU? I'm thinking that the MSD dizzys might be coming with the wrong TFI module (for Fox Mustangs) and low-end stators (for Fox and SN95 Mustangs), and switching to Ford pieces might fix all this BS. Thoughts?

Mark

12. 428GT

I had swapped the ford parts into my MSD and still ended up with timing errors at 4800...put a crappy looking stock 351 distributor with my stock 302 gear, problem solved, I haven't had an issue since. We'll see what happens when I add a little boost....

13. TurboShortBus

Well, that sucks...for me, not for you. I'm stuck with the MSD dizzy housing, no matter what I use for electronics. Maybe I'll swap out the "window hat" so that I'm using an old, tarnished one instead of the clean, shiny one that came with my dizzy. There's not much else that can be done, really.

Mark

14. Jay Meagher

Don't take this to heart but if you had spent 16 hours tuning and your car had issues with driveabilty it's not the AEM. If you are within driving distance of Orlando come on down.. Or email me your cal and let me pick over it. I have had mine for over a year and it's not a perfect box (firmware updates) but it can be made to drive like a factory stock PCM. My car does everything very well. I have had some issues with the update 1.19 and using, than reconnecting with the serial gauge. As far as making more power, the AEM boxes I have tuned made good power with less timing that when they had a stock PCM. I have worked on more than one 94-95 stock pcms that moved timing around under WOT and couldn't be resolved. Stand alone isn't for everyone and AEM took a big risk handing it to the masses. We are all for the most part hard headed car guys that are quick to give up on what troubles us and curse what we don't understand.
    My .02

15. EvilGooses

Ive found the AEM to be extremely complex. I dont understand the useless manual! I have got a few tunes from some folks nice enough to share. I have one tune that cranks the motor over immediately! I mean like as soon as the key makes contact with the ignition! There is a TON to learn in this thing. Its just so very unfortunate that no one is familair with it. There isnt much help out there

16. rickyhaiber

Well, Jay tuned my car and it runs great. Idles fine, and no misses in the tune. He knows how to work the box if you really need help with it. I had big issues with the AEM at first and took a few shops until I got Jay to do it and since then I have no regret about using the AEM even though at one point I was ready to throw it in the trash.

17. TurboShortBus

Ah, you're the guy who Jay was telling me about last week. I'll be giving my EEC-Tuner one last shot before I ditch it and order the AEM, then have Jay mess with it.

Mark

18. rickyhaiber

You will not be disappointed....I had my car at Extreme Motorsports in Maryland, Central Florida Turbo, and a few other guys looked at it and I blew headgaskets three times with the other people. Since jay has tuned it I have had no problems with it and it runs like it's stock when just cruising around.

19. Jay Meagher

Thanks a lot Ricky.. I am glad things are going in the right direction with your hotrod!

20. Erik88GT

My AEM randomly misfires, and sometimes it cuts out so hard I about bounce my head off the steering wheel, then a split second later it's running fine like nothing happened. And I never get timing errors. :huh: :bang: