1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

If you have an AEM and have had problems please open

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Trentk, Nov 3, 2005.

1. JamesS

Great. :huh: I've got one coming in the mail as I write this.

2. Trentk

there still is no fix for this issue, I have tried a crank tirgger wheel and crank sensor from aem and I modified the stock dizzy to be nothing more than a cam sync for the ecu but the problems are still there. Scott at AEM has offered to investigate the problem on my car I just haven't had time to find a way to get it to CA and back in its current state.

3. ronlp

Is this something that happens after awhile or with certain combos? Reason I'm wondering is that I don't seem to have these troubles. Actually, outside of my crankcase ventilation issues, my car is running pretty peachy these days. Then again, I never had the 'long cranking problem' either, with either software release. Runs and starts as good, if not better than it did on the stock ecm.

And now I probably cursed myself...... :eek:hmy:

4. Taffy

I thought that the long cranking was only on the Nissans. Looks like we learn new things everyday.

5. xr4x4ti

Hello Gang,

I have an AEM on my Turbo 331 and overall it seems to be working pretty well, even though I am a little frustrated with the lack of documentation for the software. But, I do get the miss that is described here just cruising down the highway.

Trent, others,
    Is the problem caused by the input side of the computer or the output side? What I mean, is the AEM having trouble picking up the PIP signal from the distributor or is it having trouble creating the required signal for the TFI module?

If it is on the input side, I would have guessed that a crank trigger would have solved it, but if you are still using the stock distributor with 7 teeth cut off, for the cam sensor, you would still have that problem. I have a dummy dist. from an Explorer, that might be a better option, if I go DIS.

If it is on the output side, you should be able to bypass the TFI all together and run an MSD(or something similar).

What do people think?

My car is off the road for the winter and if this problem is not fixed by spring, I am seriously considering switching to something else (BS3) or going with an A9L and some sort of chip tuner.

Tim
    xr4x4ti

PS, if anybody is interested, my car is a AWD 6 speed XR4Ti, check it out at:
    http://home.comcast.net/~xr4x4ti/V8_AWD_Pictures.htm
    http://www.mwturbofords.org/mwturbofords/imageview.php?events/2005_09_Minneapolis/IMG_0715.jpg

6. Dread

Cool xr4ti! I have been curious, since this thread started.. I assume the aem hasn't had this miss all along? I'd heard of the long cranking, but not the miss.

7. 92whitelx

i have just bought a ems and i was wondering i just built a turbo motor man 0 war block forgded internals afr's 185 tf's upper and lower intake, hellion kit, but any i am in the break in process and i was wondering if the base set up on the ems is good enough to break my engine, hten once i get 500 miles go on to the real tune. thanks for any feedback

8. xr4x4ti

No, IMHO, the base tune that comes with the EMS is almost useless. You have to at least change it over to your size injectors and rescale it for your displacement. Then it will run. But, it will take some tweeking before it would be safe to even drive on the street in my experience.

Tim
    XR4X4Ti

9. XJared

The problem is that the aem is so picky about what signals it gets. All the problems I've run into on Fords, Hondas, Nissans(esp rb) were from "weak" sensor signals. The AEM will barely run past 5k on a distributor king distributor on Hondas, but throw on a stock dist and it will run all day, despite the fact that a factory computer shows no difference. Same on Fords, obviously the msd signal is unrelaible, but most of the high mileage ford units are as well. Maybe its a problem, maybe its a good thing. I consider it good that the ems is less "forgiving" than the stock computer, especially on a big hp engine where even a few degrees of timing drift and you're rebuilding.

10. pacettr

11. breakemlose

I havent' had any problems i even put down 700rwhp with the old v.84 of aem. NOw with 1.11 and a new torue converter. *gasp* 800rwhp should be possible through a unlocked auto :)

12. NIL8GM

It is my understanding that the problem is only associated with Version 1.11. Apparently V1.03 and earlier did not have the miss. I never experienced the miss with V1.03 but I did experience the extra long cranking.... :bah:

Rick

13. thefordkid1

I get a miss at light cruising throttle between 2 and 3k rpm. I have decreased coil dwell, advanced timing, retarded timing, added fuel, subtracted fuel in that rpm range and nothing solved. Even installed a new stock distributor and coil. Stock ignition, stock injectors and stock 94 5.0 engine. No MSD. Nothing hairy on my 94 Mustang. Just has an after cat exhaust. I just can't solve it. Runs fine with the stock PCM though.

14. stangnv

well I just ordered my turbo but now I need 2 find some type of EMS - everyone I know was pushing towards the AEM piece - but u guys have me worried - is there anything else out there that will work? - I order T76 turbo kit from ProTurboSystems (few upgrades & down grades) - they even pushed me towards the AEM piece - and they don't even sell it - so now I'm really unsure wgat 2 do

15. Taffy

AEM must have a quality control problem. For the RBs, there are some that work, and there are a lot that do not work as a "plug and play" unit. A LOT of people with the RBs have had to change their crank sensors because the AEM could not pick up the signal. This has never been a problem on any of ther aftermarket computers that were not "GEMS" computers. Purchasing a new sensor for the RB engines does seem to take care of the problem though. The sensors are $400 if you have a hook up. A good used one will not last that long either. We tried that route and got nowhere.

16. Mick

Suscribing.

I had timine errors with the newer versions of software 1.14. Ended up going back to V0.95 or something like that. Runs great with the old software, but I miss alot of the cool new features the later software has. I'll have to check when I get home which version i'm running and pm the info. I haven't tried 1.19 though.

edited

17. LRD VDR

WOW! So much for pulling the Motec off my car! If Ya'll get this fig'd out let us know please. I have been wanting the AEM due to ease of use VS the Motec M800.

Shahram

18. Snipe656

I'll trade you straight up a brand new AEM for your M800, heck I will even hand deliver it to you.

19. LRD VDR

You Freak! :angel: I wanted to put the Motec on my blown C5.

Shahram

20. Snipe656

I will bring a used FAST for your C5, PM me directions to your place so we can make this trade happen.