1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I am doing it... The official Ebay turbo build! DUW!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by turbostang, Dec 5, 2006.

1. RDriedger

Hell yeah, I bet that was fun......and costly. hehe :eek:

2. craggar

I got it for just under $1500 Cdn. when our dollar wasn't as good. When I bought this one the kits were going anywhere from $1400. Cdn to $2300. Cdn and the buy it now was something like $2800.

That pass was costly(about $5000. when it was all said and done) Badass305. I did get away with the first time that day.Having the pictures and video's does help ease the hurt a bit.:)

3. PEARL MUSSIN

So the BOV dosent look too shabby? I might have to pick one up..

Jeremy

4. Big_Ed

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE HEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bah: :bang: >:( :bah: :bang: :bah: :bah: :eek:

5. turbostang

Nope, not really. I wish I already had something to test it out on. Like I mentioned above - they are definately a "production" part with what I would consider to be minimally skilled labor making them. The machine work is "quick" and not as "pretty" as the real thing - but it won't hurt performance any at all.

dude. You are wearing me out. Be patient - I have other work to do besides work on my car.

6. turbostang

Ok, Here are the headers and the turbos. They both came well packed in bubble wrap and cardboard. No shipping damage to speak of other than normal wear and tear. The turbos seem to be fair quality with LH threads on the compressors, like I mentioned above. They were capped on every hole and orifice to keep debris out. All surfaces covered in some kind of light machine oil. Possibly the same oil they were assembled with? There is plain evidence of balancing marks where the re-aligned the compressor wheel after balancing and during assembly.
    The headers I'll give a 95% rating - they are a pretty good appearing part. They have large bolt holes to aid in expansion and installation. They are polished stainless of some sort or other. Both of the flanges (turbo and head) are NOT stainless but some sort of chromed mild steel. No biggie to me - I don't care either way. The inside of the collector could use some die grinder work (shown in pics) but it is usable as is - no loose debris in there. As shown in the pics I have the headers mocked up on an engine on a stand - so I can't fully comment on fitment. I did pop the hood on my car to do a quick comparison and see if they looked like they'd fit. I don't forsee any problems there either. The flanges appear to be flat within 1/32 across the flange which isn't too bad - I'll dress them up on the belt sander before installing them.
    The FAB WORK on the headers is fair but needs some attention. The collector area (as shown in pics) are MIG welded on the inside - which I can understand in a production environment. This is where most of the cleanup is needed. The tubes are all one piece with the exception of one tube on either header. The tube to flange connection is where I believe there will be problems IF ANY.
    Several of the tubes are butt welded to the flange or barely in the flange. Normally this doesn't pose a problem if they fit good and are welded with care. Neither is the case in this case. Again, for a production part it isn't too bad. Some of the close ups show detail of what I speak of. Some of the welds are too hot causing sagging of the parent material inside the part - this is 99% of the time where a crack will form. The top and bottom of the tube are the only places on the tubes where they are welded on both sides of the flange. The sides, near the bolts, are not welded on both sides. I think this would probably alleviate any cracking that MAY happen.
    EDIT - I wanted to add. The arrows near the end of the flange are pointing to spot where a tube goes through the flange and is welded with a very small portion of the weld sticking up above the flange maybe about ~.010 or so. Also - there are several spots, mainly on the collector area, where the headers are welded more than once for some reason. If you look closely you can see some of the TIG welded joints are welded right on top of another bead that, to me, appeared to be fine in the first place.
    All in all, at this stage of the project, I am totally satisfied with the product and service. Time for the pics.

7. ChrisSracing

Wow, thats alot nicer quality than I was expecting.

8. flyinhillbilly

subscribing, i've been very satisfied with the wastgate and blow off vale set i bought from ebay, so far they've worked flawlessly[ sp?]

9. Big_Ed

Not trying to, just figured you hadn't gotten them, thats all.

Thanks for the info and the pics. Also, what's you opinion on the drivers side being so much higher and turned? Clearing an A/C compressor maybe? And will the cold side housings rotate for different positioning?

Thanks and sorry if I seemed to be annoying you.

10. ralphiejantz

what company were these bought from and what brand are those turbo if you know do the turbos have any casting numbers or anything on them
    this is a really good thread Im sure a lot of us are really intersted to see if these turn out to be an alright deal

11. rock-rod

I am a new poster on this board, but have been lurking for a few months. Thanks for posting this information. I run a Jeep CJ with a 5.0 in it, and I am considering doing the twin turbo conversion to it. While the passenger side looks like i wont have any fitment problems, it's hard to tell with the driver's side. Would you mind snapping a few pics of the drivers side to help me get an idea of turbo placement. I have a large brake booster to deal with, along with the a/c compressor and a reservior for the full hydro steering system. If I can see the valve cover in relation to turbo it will help me. I really appreciate this.

Very cool. Thanks for going out and risking your money on this. I think a lot of people like myself are looking for an economical way to do a TT conversion, and understand that there is going to be some challenges to address with a product such as this.

For those that want to know. I drive a heavily modified CJ rock crawler that also sees sand duty. I have been running a vortech supercharger but I have not been completely satisfied with the performance. There is just to much drag at low engine speeds and it's also a little noisy (can't always hear the spotters). I hope the turbos will help me maintain a smooth factory idle and when I need the insane power, it's there.

12. turbostang

No worries Ed - I think the turbos have slightly different placement because of the tangential housings. You'd probably find most twin kits are like this - If they were on-center housings the headers would be closer to symmetrical. Yes, the cold sides will rotate to any position - as long as the bolt holes line up on the actuators. If needed they could even go "in between" those positions just by modifying the bracket.

They are a made in china brand, garrett copies - that's all I know. IF they work - the name doesn't matter.. which is the whole goal of this build. There are only serial numbers and the A/R designation on the turbine side.
    I'll see if I can get some pics on Friday - I have to bowl league on wed & thurs. nights. What accessories will you be using? I have all my accessories and did some quick measuring - it appears they will fit with them all intact. The compressors sit flush with the front of the motor for the most part (if that helps any at all)

I want to install the whole thing as is - but I don't want certain failure either (don't know that it will or won't fail). I just don't want to throw the money away if a simple inspection of the turbos will save them. Also, I'll probably do a little welding on the primary tubes and add a brace to each header. I won't know for sure till I actually get to test them on the car. Or at the very least get some accessories to test on the stand with.

13. Eric88T

When do you intend to have Dave @ Majestic breakdown and inspect the turbos? This part interests me the most

14. turbostang

hopefully Friday - I've already talked to him about it. he doesn't expect to find anything wrong with them.

15. PEARL MUSSIN

So far so good :rock2:

16. joutlaw50

Wow the quality and the welds on those headers looks pretty decent. This is a coool project thanks for hooking it up for us!

17. lighting bolt

turbostang- good info so far and great pics....thanks for doing this i am thinking of the same thing but havent made it this far yet. i'll be following your build and hope it all goes well...

18. blownpony

I already put my blower up for sale with intentions to buy this kit, subscribing.

19. aod92

What kind of power will this kit make with a stock block & H/C/I

20. turbostang

I have no idea. Judging by the size of the compressor wheel - I'd bet they support ~350 each. :huh: