1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

HP Performance turbo kit

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by blackminitubbedlx, Feb 4, 2003.

1. buffhomer

That car is not mine, my setup will be a little different...stock motor with a B-cam in a 2700lb car, hehe.

88SSP--I rode in that ex-police car on 9psi and it felt every bit as fast as mine on the 150 shot on the top end(I went 11.70@115). Don't forget that those hp numbers Jimmy quoted are UNcorrected in Albuquerque, elevation 5500ft. The density that day was in the neighborhood of 7800ft if I remember corrrectly. I know that turbo cars aren't affected as much by elevation as an N/A car, but the turbo would be a responsive beast at sea level and yes it would make more power. That car had a timing bump and spark plug wires before the turbo setup, that's it.

Here's a better look at the turbo and the passenger side header on the above car:

2. jimhp

BTW we use v-band clamps on the hot side now, that was the last kit we sold with flanges. Thank you Buffhomer, it is nice to have friends with digtal cameras and time to post.

3. 88SSP

Well, the only difference in my motor would be low comp pistons (can run a little more boost safely) and a f-cam (or perhaps it is a Z-cam, previous owner was not sure).

4. Reef Blue Notch

Has anyone seen the article on page 167 in the February issue of Muscle Mustangs? Theres alot of pics of the HP Kit in there. I'm surprised no one brought it up.

Heres picture of the Driver side of the engine. (this is not in MM&FF)

5. 88SSP

Funny you should mention that. I believe I actually "broke" the story on the old forum, but there wasn't much made of it, then. I have been excited ever since.

Ken

6. MikeStang5.0

How hard is it to install these kits? Would somebody who has some experience installing turbo kits be able to do it within a reasonable amount of time? Judging by the pics it does not look too bad. Also how is sparkplug access?

7. jimhp

The kit is very easy to install and would take 8-10 hours from start to boost oops I mean finish. Spark plug changes are very easy. It only took me 15 minutes between dyno runs and I have the burns to prove it. It would have been easier with a little cool down. Using v-bands on the hot side and t-bolts on the cold side make it a snap.

8. Snipe656

OUCH! I hope, not bad.

9. Reef Blue Notch

JimHP,

Would it be possible to upgrade to a Turbonectics in place of the Holset Turbo?

10. jimhp

These burns happened this last weekend. We can substitute our turbo for a turbonetics. We did test them head to head 60mm vs 60mm and went from a 10.6 et to a 10.3 et on blackminitubedlx's lx. Our turbo came out on top. Let me know what size turbo you want and I will get you the price. Hey Snipe656 thanks for the concern. Reef Blue Notch I hope to hear from you soon and would like the oppurtunity to do buissiness with you. BTW that 10.3 was not the fastest we ran with that turbo just a test with the same variables.

11. Snipe656

Ouch, those suck. Not as bad as the ones I got changing burners out on the ship I worked on though :(

12. turbomut

is the race kits complete I have a friend looking into buying a kit with a t76 he is planning to go into the drag radial class. he has a 351. do u have a catalog that maybe u can send or when do u think that the website will be ready. and what will the price go for.

13. jimhp

We have a customer that is seriously thinking of putting a turbo on his 351 . We have not yet found a for sure donor to put one on.But stay tunned we will build one.thanks and God bless

14. Barry D.

Those are some good numbers...did I understand you guys to say that a T5-Z is going in the car? With the power that car has, that transmission won't last any longer than the original. The case seems to be the weak point on T-5's. Please tell me that I misread that or something b/c that car makes great numbers but I would think if you wanted a stick you'd have a TKO or something in it.

15. sc98gt2

That T-5Z just went 10.50@138 with a 1.5 60ft. time (all at an altitude of 5500ft. above sea level). Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the T-5Z would last long with those kind of power numbers, but it held it own today.

16. jimhp

Wow, I just got a call from Anthony and he told me about the 10.50 at 138. I never thought our base kit would put up these numbers. I really really appreciate all thefeed back and thanks Anthony for taking your beautiful cobra to the track without fear, and not breaking my t5-z . Next week we are taking Anthonys cobra to have a feature done.

17. jimhp

Hey Barry, I sure hope it holds up until the feature is over but I do share your concern,BTW it is my trans. Keep up the feed back guys.God bless.

18. RICE ETR

Hey Jim

The kit looks really good.... got a few questions if you don't mind answering i would appreciate it.

Long story short, i sold my Incon's... bought an SS and was attempting to sell my stang..well race season is in now and i am really contemplating selling the SS, making some cash off of it and getting my mustang back on the street with a single turbo set up.

I thought i would never say this but...

I think i was really tired of the Incons... not my mustang. Reason being i was tired of working around them during plug changes and especially HG changes, i hated how the turbos were almost silent, the weight of the kit, how the intercooler was in a very bad spot relative to any debri you might run over or hit, how hard it would be to replace the silicon hoses if i ever tore one.....etc.. i could go on forever.

Anywho... i already have injectors, fuel pump, and i will get a meter, i just need a basic turbo kit/intercooler that will support around 500-550rwhp.

Are your kits draw thru maf?
    How much is the exhaust coating i see in the pics?
    Do you have anymore pics of the kit?
    What is the lead time for a kit?

Sorry for all the questions..

Thanks for any input,

This content is protected

-Jarrod

19. sc98gt2

Jarrod,

I have many pictures of the kit installed in a '93 Cobra if you'd like me to post for you. I'm not sure if Jimmy has left yet or not, but I was told he was on his way to Cali to do another article about one of his customers car's for MM&FF. They should get back on Fri.

~Matt~

20. blow_me93

Matt can you email them to me at

This content is protected