1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

HP Performance turbo kit

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by blackminitubbedlx, Feb 4, 2003.

1. MORA

You should not judge a turbo company for whatever projects they are building for magazines. You know why? magazines get paid to talk good about the advertisers. Plain and simple.

If they build a turbo kit for NASA, how does that improve the fact about shitty welds and delivery problems?

Guys, money talks and bullshit walks.

I dont have any beef against anybody, I just dont like people and companies that try to make them look perfect.

2. BlackMagic94

No one is perfect, but Richard has chosen them to build a kit for himself and not a magazine.

3. jimhp

Hey everybody, just recieved a call from a friend that said I needed to read a few posts on the feed back. Our goal at HP is to have happy customers out and about with good feed back about our product and the way we conducted buissiness with them. We have a lot of kits out there with happy customers and I am sorry to say we have 3 of which that we know have a reason to be upset. Two of those customers deal with us to this day for purchasing speed parts and one does not. We made every attempt we could to make him happy but failed and I have apologized to him on more than one ocassion. He has every right to be upset with us and I know it is my fault. We always do our best to meet dead lines but are unable to all the time, I apologize for that as well. We always find better ways of doing things and ways to make things more efficient, in other words we are getting better everyday. As far as tubing size is concerned, it would be cheaper for us to use the smaller size and we are set up to bend smaller tubing but we take every advantage we can to have the best product on the market. At HP we want it to be known we do our best to ship a high quality product on time if there is any thing but that contact us and we will take care of it. Take care and God bless

4. stupid fast 5.0

jimhp

Hey jimhp im interested in your BIG TURBO kit! could you give us a little more info on that.. Im looking to push 1000hp at the wheels, race gas and around 600-700hp on pump... I have not yet decided if im going with a single or twins...
    Nate

5. icedewd

Dyno 2000 and HP T60

Does anyone know the flow numbers of this turbo? I am trying to run it on my motor in drag2000 and need a comparable turbo... Any ideas that would get me close... there is a lot of Air Research and Garret turbos in the app.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. 92FivePointSlow

Re: Dyno 2000 and HP T60

its a garret compressor side and a holset exhaust side (hx40? maybe) hope that helps you some

7. blackminitubbedlx

aaron rouse

Since we are talking openly about our opinions of people, let me post mine. My street car makes 667rwhp and 787rwtq with a stock, and I mean stock short block with UNPORTED Edelbrock performers and UNPORTED Cobra intake @4600 rpm. My race car makes over 1000 rwhp and 1100 rwtq with a 327" eagle short block and out of the box Victor JRS. and I have nothing but nice things to say about HP!!!! For example, This weekend I was at a race in Texas, forgot to zip-ty a vacuum line away from my turbo inlet and it got inhaled, DESTROYING my turbo!! The announcer called my class and I thought the race was over for me. HP came over saw the damage, pulled the turbo off their display motor, and helped me switch it in 15 minutes!!!!!! I made the call and opened up shop, Thanks HP !!!!!!!!!!! Aaron Rouse, I think you are "DUMB AS A BRICK" and your title should NOT be turbo wizard but "TURBO BITCHER" . Piece of advice? If you ever get another pipe with a pin hole politely call the manufacturer and ask them what they plan to do about it or since your the "wizard" pick up the welder you obviously own since you're so good, and spot weld the pin hole!!!! Instead of making your self look like a cry baby whaaa!!!!! Thank you, that will be all.
    Anthony Dickson;)

8. boss311

92fivepointslow

you're wrong, hp uses holset compressors and garret exhaust housings, making it a holset hybrid. the compressor side is from a hx35 and is also modified with a larger impeller, 60mm and also 63mm impellers are used.:stickhit:

9. Snipe656

Anthony Dickson, perhaps you do not understand that whole situation from the customer's side was politely handled from day one and to the end. After something like 8 months of politely handling it with HP, the customer finally gave up on them and demanded his money back. This was after sending parts back and forth across the country and always being very polite about it. I believe it started out with the crossover pipe not lining up with the header so impossible for the customer to use and later pin holes found in the welds and later the weld quality was noticed past the flashiness of the coating on the pipes. Not once did the customer ever get rude with Jim at HP, but after being delayed pretty much this entire year by HP and feeling he got a poor quality product he then finally gave up on the company. He then bought a TTI race kit and got it exactly when told, he also began to notice things like the weld quality was 10 times better than what HP gave, he noticed the intercoolers core quality appeared to be tons better than what HP sold him, he noticed the fitment quality to thus far be tons better than what HP provided him. So do not accuse me or the customer of being a cry baby when the entire matter was politely handled and Jim from HP can even admit to that and hell Jim even told me ".. I Know he has been more than patient." So how is he being a whiner when even Jim says he is being patient or is Jim telling some people the customer is a whiner and then telling others who know the customer that he has been very patient?

BTW the whole reason the welding issues were not handled from the customers end is because the kit comes with Jet Hot coating and the customer felt he did not want to ruin the coating by patching the brand new kit he bought. The customer felt that the company selling the new kit to him should fix the issue and recoat the pipe once they had. The customer being very patient and polite to HP is what led to him being delayed almost this entire year. He even recieved the classics we all hear, like it is at the coaters or it is shipping, but unable to get tracking numbers at times.

All I did was point out a bad situation that happened with HP and as it appears some of the people in here already knew about it happening yet did not say anything when potential customers were saying things like "man, HP never has a bad thing said" What I find funny is it has openly been admited that HP's welding quality used to be bad but got a lot better. Well the kit that went to the magazines must have had bad welding then, because in the case I am mentioning the customer bought his kit based solely on the good rep he saw on these forums and MM&FF reviewing the kit. This means that kit MM&FF reviewed must have had lesser welding quality, yet the magazine did not point that out I guess. I wonder why that is, seems odd a magazine reviewing a product would not point out any quality issues in the welds on a turbo kit. Another interesting thing is Jim tells me in his PM that this customer had one of the first 3 kits they sold, yet there was a TON of talking up of HP here online prior to his order and all by local customers, well they must have had poor quality welds on their setups but failed to mention that and just how much power they make.

So insult me all you want, but I am pointing out a real life situation that happened with HP. If you think it is just being a whiner that someone wanted their brand new kit to be done right(and fit right) and when found issues they felt the company should correct them and do so in a timely manner, then I guess more power to you. And you know he is not the only one who has had issues with the company, after me jumping in this thread I was found by another person out in Cali who is very upset with his kit that he does run on the car, then there is the other guy on the Corral who had big issues with the huge delays in getting his stuff. Sure that is only three people, but heck I am not even looking for the people plus there are very few people online who even have the kits.

If you were friends with HP, I'd thought you would have just let this issue drop after Jim chimed in, because I certainly would not have posted in here again had you not come in calling this situation just a whiner when the ENTIRE matter from the customer's end was politely handled.

10. BlackMagic94

I just got the first SN95 kit from HP, and the quality was top notch, as soon as a part or box was shipped out, Jimmy called me with a tracking number right away so I would know where it was. The only delay I had was with JET HOT, and i knew exactly how long JET HOT had the parts do to the Fedex tracking number I had. I would recommend HP to anyone interested in buying a turbo kit. Jimmy and his crew are a bunch of great guys.

11. lightweight

You point out all these issues you have with HP, and when you sum it all up it comes down to the fact that your buddy, number 1 either didnt know what he was doing, or two, just happened to get one bad peice and probably fucked around trying to get shit done. You give all these examples of bad issues with them , but read between the lines and you realize that it almost all comes back to the same person whining and more often than not people are praising. Get over it, they have a good product and your just jealous cause you dont have one. So have fun with what you've got.

12. 92FivePointSlow

Re: 92fivepointslow

i apologize and stand corrected. its been a couple months since i looked at the specs on the turbo, and didnt have the time to sift through 7 pages of posts on here to verify it. thanks for the catch

13. Barry D.

lol, oh my.
    :rofl:

14. Snipe656

It was more than one piece, I provided pictures of 3-4(too lazy to look back) pieces. No it is not whining, it is pointing out how when a problem came up, how it was addressed in both the manner of extreme lag time and taking multiple tries to get it right. I also pointed out how the kit was replaced with a TTI and how quality between the two was at different ends of the spectrum. I also provided how Jim flat out told me that they knowingly shipped blemmished parts. I know none of you guys care what your parts look like and just how much power they make, but do you think every potential buyer out there has the same views, I doubt that is the case. I also pointed out how you guys admited and HP admited to having welding issues early on and how that means MM&FF gave a praising review on a kit with welding issues and they failed to point that out, which just shows a magazine review may not be all that great of a source for reviews on any product, yet in this very thread we see people who state that since MM&FF liked them they can't be too bad. I also pointed out the fact that people in this very thread knew about these issues and just failed to mention some bad things have happened when new/potential customers made statements about never seeing a bad thing said about HP. It is funny how Jim admited to the issues on this to me long ago and how they had learned from it, yet their dealer is just saying me and the customer are whiners for even bringing up the problem with HP and should have instead just fixed it with a welder and I guess simply been happy something was even shipped.

But as is becoming apparent by an HP Dealer, if someone has issues like these that is just a whiner so those do not count, it does not matter if things do not fit right, if welding is bad(since been improved as we all established) and if the customer service in handling all this when it did occur was pretty lagged, because all that is simple whining

Why would I be jealous of anyone's turbo kit? The very things that I value most in keeping in regards to a turbo kit, the HP will not even let me keep, nor would a PTK and nor would a TP, yet I am not jealous of anyone of those kits. Honestly, jealously makes absolute no sense, after all if I wanted an HP kit I would simply go out and pay the $4-5k for one, in the grand scheme of things that is not a ton of money yet as we can see I do not own theirs and really the only kit that does meet my needs is not even produced anymore which will explain why I will not run one and go with something custom made(if I ever even bother to make time for that). BTW, I would have no problems modifying a kit after getting it, I have on countless ones in the past but also knew going into those deals I would have to modify them.

Hey maybe that is why he got delayed for almost the entire year when in the begining he found a crossover tube that did not fit and welds that would leak, HP just saw him as being a whiner so decided to put him off and address the new paying customers first. But if that is the case why is it they told me they had learned from the mistakes and figured out how to improve their build quality in regards to fitment and general quality.

EDIT: Actually more I think about this, not even my car/kit so I will just see if the whiner will post in here tonight sometime instead of me continuing.

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason I kept saying dealer for lightweight and no idea what I pulled that out of(other than my ass I am sure) since he clearly said he is in no way affiliated with them

Barry, do let me know how I could be jealous of someone elses turbo kit/car, anyone elses for that matter.

15. Barry D.

that's the thing, you're not! that's why i replied to the quote in a "uh oh, you've done it now" sense. i guess you interpreted it the wrong way.

16. lightweight

You can bet that MM&FF was not paid to do the review on their kit, and i would take it as being a pretty damn good source of info if i were shopping for a kit. Definatly not this place. So if they werent paid why would they give a kickass review on something that was as terrible as you think. Have you ever even seen a kit in person? Have you worked with any of the kits or seen them proform in person?....

Yeah you've got a couple pics of a bad peice, even from the looks of things its the same peice with a couple blemishes on it just pics of different ends. You make it sound like the kit was hot glued together in a 2nd grade arts and crafts class.

I cant answer for why it took so long with HP, but if this tool that had all the problems with them is the same guy that couldnt install the kit on his car because it "didnt fit'' then your whole point it out the window because i watched them install that very kit on another car when it was shipped back to them and it fit just fine. Anyone else remember that? I do.

17. Snipe656

I did not say they got paid for doing a review on that particular kit, I think Mora said something along those lines but not even sure he said about that specific kit/magazine(again too lazy to look back). I said if as was openly admited they had issues with welding back then and MM&FF failed to even mention it then it makes me question their ability to judge the quality of something, it would almost appear that MM&FF could care less about quality or fitment of anything, just about how much power it makes but last I checked a lot of us care about more than just power.

Like I said, I will just let the tool / whiner say his side with how things were handled and not just quality of parts that led to them needing to even be handled. I do know if you are referring to someone who had a kit that would not fit in a car, then it probably is a different tool since after all as a picture showed earlier shows, the crossover tube would not fit when being trial fitted on a motor out of a car.

Barry, I was being sarcastic when I asked that of you, since I figured you of all people know what I care about since being around me on forums for so long.

18. my8950

Boo F'ing Hoo, the whiner speaks!

Ok, with all the crap posted, I guess it is time for me to step in and state the story. I am the 'TOOL' or the 'WHINER''¦I had spoke with Jim from HP numerous times from when I first saw the magazine article until I ordered the kit. I placed my order in December, was billed mid January, PAID IN FULL!
    I received the beginnings if the kit probably mid to late February, due to the fact I had been waiting for quite along time already Jim stated that he would ship the kit to me UPS NEXT DAY. After 8 days, it showed up tagged ground, no biggie whatever. I immediately took all the pipes out, cleaned them up on the inside from residue & whatnot that was left from Jet Hot process as he told me to do. While doing this, inspecting the welds & noticed that they were kind of weak or FUGLY. I decided to just go with it, for the most part the stuff all looked ok. I mock it up on the engine stand and the crossover pipe is probably about 1.5 '“ 2 inches away from being close to lining up. Call Jim, explain to him and was told to ship the header and that part of the crossover back. End of March comes around and I get the parts back. The motor is now in the car, so I am taking their word for it that it is correct, again to ship UPS RED but never happened. It's at the coaters, or they are shipping it back to us instead of you then we'll ship it to you.
    I get the stuff back and am attempting to install the headers & the things aren't going right. Holes aren't tapped which the said were, just miscellaneous crap, nothing big, but definitely an inconvenience!!! Header flanges aren't flat so I take them back off the car. As I take a closer look at the pipes & other parts left, I see more and more things I just don't like. I am not going to be happy just cause I got the parts, yeah they are crap, but hey I got em! I am not going to put this type of quality & craftsmanship on my car, I worked too hard to make my car what it is and for the money I have spent on this kit. Seeing holes & the welds, all the junk & holes on the inside of the Y-pipe. I called Jim and told him about it, he said to go ahead and send all the stuff I wasn't happy with back and they'd replace it with new parts. They claim to stock a given amount of kits on the shelf ready to rock, so he can ship out a new kit this day and I will send all the stuff back. Therefore I will not be waiting again for another 2 months to get the parts back as I did before. Basically I kept the IC and the V-band clamps, bolts & nuts etc. After it went back, I waited a while to see that the new goods would arrive, never did. I called; yeah we are shipping it out. 10 days later still never shows up! I call him back and told him I was done, I will not sign for it when it shows up and I will box up the rest & ship it back! Done deal, I have been extremely patient and I never called them to 'Bitch' at them, as I know stuff takes time. They are very polite on the phone to deal with, at least Jim & Nathan, not sure of anyone else whom is now in the picture, they mean well, but could never come through. I simply got tired of waiting and being dragged along! I think that if you ask Jim, he will blatantly admit that I was never threatening, I am not that type of person and don't see that necessary to be that way to get what I am paying for. Beginning of August, 8 months later and basically have nothing to show for them holding my money, keeping my car off the road. I did not waste time trying to get it taken care of, I did not call & whine to them. I don't see it my responsibility to take on the repairs myself when I am paying them to be done properly and ruin the coating, I could have made my own kit if I was willing to do that, and driven the car this summer! Since I am paying, why should I be fabbing & building many of my own parts, isn't that included in the kit, doesn't it come complete and ready to bolt on essentially without having to cut up the pipes or headers etc that I just paid & waited weeks to get from Jet Hot?
    Others here who are local to them I am sure will have a better experience, sad but true. The 'circle of friends' is always taken care of better! You guys on here whom are 'pro HP' that's fine, I am simply stating my experience dealing with them and how it turned out to be pretty negative all the way around. After waiting a month again I finally received my credit and had another kit within that time as well. Unfortunately where I live, anytime I may have had to drive my car at given events this season have long since passed!
    Snipe and a few other guys on this board know of my experience as well as were going through a similar experience with them as well. He knows exactly what was going on during the whole process, probably better then myself! I went another direction with my purchase, received everything on time, and the quality and craftsmanship is excellent. For the a few hundy more, it was definitely worth it in my eyes! If you watched them put that exact kit on a different car, I would be willing to bet it was the kit I didn't sign for since Jim knew exactly what I was talking about with the problems I was experiencing!
    I am not about to start arguing on this board with the rest of you "awesome" guys who are all so knowledgeable. I know what I am doing, I know what I wanted and what I should have received. They could not come through for me so I went elsewhere! I guess there are more then just one "Turbo God" on the list, cause it sure as hell isn't me.

19. JaxMustang50

Do they offer some kind of rebate if your kit isn't shipped on time?

20. ricky

wow,aaron,can't believe you would be jeaous of another car !..lol jezz dude you have way to much stuff to play with as it is..

bridal-shoal