1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

HP Performance turbo kit

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by blackminitubbedlx, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Snipe656

So why is it racing teams with all their trial and error and not limitations in the rules end up running successfully smaller tubing in the other areas of their kits vs HP? And how is 600rwhp pushing that turbo past its limits, what is that 650fwhp? That sounds near about right for a T60 hybrid, we have long since all seen a 60-1 hifi which is a lesser turbo is good for around 615fwhp but when pushed much past that is when the failures happen. So again, the 3.5" downpipe is unneeded for damn near every general Joe who buys a kit for their car and always will be for them.

And you people keep talking up the customer service and quality of HP kits, what about the customers who have waited months upon months for them to get their kits and get them right? What about the customers who have had kits shipped to them with holes in the welds you can see through? How is that good quality, sounds like some bad quality checking of the products at the very least. When I posted pictures of this months ago, the people on this site all said send that "crap" back, get your money back and so on, so I dare say I am not over exagerating the quality on that kit at all.

Sure maybe the company learned from their mistakes, it certainly was such a bad learning experience that one of their customers finally gave up on them and demanded money back and went with another company after not having his car running all year due to all the issues he had with the first turbo kit company he went with.

2. Snipe656

How appropriate, I see you edited your post to bash other kits about quality and I just provided an example of HP quality that was shipped to/from a customer multiple times trying to get it right.

3. lightweight

Im not trying to 'talk up' their kits for i am in no way affiliated with them or their company, just know the shop and what they can do. As far as people with bad experiances with them, like you said, that happens with every company. And usually gets all worked up by a pissed off customer and blown outa proportion. I've had a few disagreements with them in the past and i can gurantee you that they will do what they can to make things right by you.

I am only trying to make a point that there are reasons to get something of quality. Why bash a kit because it has parts that you consider 'overkill'? Seems like the parts work well together from what i've seen.

And your the one that originally posted that pushing the turbos that far is going to lead to failure.

4. Snipe656

I never defined what pushing the turbo too far was, read what I posted again and I never not once said what that was. I was referring to when me and a friend used to blow up hifi turbos, read back and you will see I never defined it.

We can discuss quality if you like, I have plenty of pictures. But my whole point in commenting in here was that comparing the Cartech to HP like that is comparing apples to oranges and unfair for both sides.

5. Snipe656

Sorry, meant comparing them on pricing, since feature sets and materials are far different.

Also by pushing hifis too far, I was referring to making around 1150rwhp with a pair which do the math is beyond their limits.

6. lightweight

Discuss quality? Sure, but i think that HP might want to chime in on that one cause i dont want to give and false information. I do know that they have changed some aspects of the kit to ensure better quality. Lots of CNC'd parts, hand built turbos, etc etc. You can find a small handfull of people that had an issue with the kit they recieved im sure, cause there will always be whiners out there that will find something to complain about.

7. Snipe656

When you can pick up one of your pipes that HP welded and you can see through a hole in the weld, right through it, that is being a whiner? Sounds like poor quality to me, HP tried explaining to me when I posted those pictures that it was a blemish they knowingly shipped to the customer as in knowing it was a blemish probably not about the hole. But tell me how is things like that being a whiner?

Also I did not bring up the 3.5 initially, someone else did and I read it as they felt it would help them make more power than another brand kit which I still call BS on. But I guess we will never know because we will never have one car with the same turbo and two different kits to test on it, will we? We can look at real world examples and the racing circuits are the best to look at and we can see how 3" downpipes are working just as well to get turbos in to their max, but heck since HP sells a hybrid we can not even compare fairly there since not the same turbo obviously.

Why should the company or its friends discuss quality, why not people outside and in the community?

8. lightweight

Things like that? You say it like its an every day thing. I remember that post, like 6 months ago. Thats one case. Like i said, you MIGHT be able to find a small small group of people that had a problem.

I agree with you totally that the outsiders and manufacturers should be the ones discussing it also.

9. Snipe656

Here are some of the pictures I just found still on my box of an HP kit, if I had time I would find the thread on this forum where people commented on what they thought of the quality and not knowing what company it was at the time. How is it getting quality like this and complaining, makes someone a whiner?

- invalid links removed -

10. Snipe656

Yes and he had to go back and forth with them and in the end he had to finally demand a credit from them, not sure if he finally got it but I know he was complaining about the HUGE delay to get his money back on something he bought that never was right anyway. That is not a sign of excellant customer service, but I know to people like you that is just a whiner

11. Snipe656

Also judging by the amount of people saying they actually have turbo kits, there only is a "small group" that own them, so just one bad experience surely is not a good sign.

12. Snipe656

No, I say it like shipping blemishes to your customers and not looking them over for stupid mistakes is a bad thing, not that it happens every day, the mere fact it was allowed to happen and that it took a battle from the customer and finally left them so dissatisfied with the company that they demand a refund and go with another company altogether.

13. lightweight

Small group of people that own them? I hardly think so. They have sold quite a large number of kits. Just because everyone doesnt post on here about owning them doesnt mean that they dont own one. If they did post here you'd just talk shit to them and accuse them of "talking up the kits''. From the numbers of kits that i've seen going out of that shop the ONE that went out with a blemish in the crossover is like a 1 in 100 deal.

14. Snipe656

No, you do not understand, all I can judge a company on and anyone else on here is the exposure of customers on here that have those products and also then people we might know in person outside of this site counts. So there is a small group that we online can judge from, we do not know you from a hole in the ground except your local and/or personal friends who will defend you, same goes for me to you. So why should we trust what you say or I say, at least out of the very small group of people that I have seen buy the kits, I can provide one quality example, I can also provide one example of bad delays for the customer to actually get their kit. That to me is a bad sign if I only see say a dozen buyers and I see 2 with bad experiences and really I only know one of them well enough to find out information, he told me about the other in all honesty.

Also it is how a company deals with a problem that can mean a huge thing. No company sets out to have problems, no company wants a bad reputation and so on. So when a problem happens, we need to look at how is that problem dealt with. We need to look at it and think to ourselves, well what if for some reason I have that happen to me, do I want to risk being out of my turbocharged mustang dream for almost an entire year because of a company I turned over my hard earned money too.

People were in here saying they never see a bad experience, but all they can see is online experiences. I have provided one out of the few they can even look at, but no one will know if how many(if any) there are in the "real world"

And really I have no beef with HP, I have dealt with a few of the other companies and just understand "shit happens" so I expect delays, hell I am king of delays. I just think it is BS that by providing bigger tubing it will make a turbo kit make more power to the rear wheels when we see examples of max out turbos on other kits with lesser tubing. I also think comparing it to another company on just price is not right and I would think the same thing if you compared a TP to a PTK on just pricing.

15. Snipe656

Well as much fun as this discussion has been, I need to call it a night and deal with real world things away from the internet. Best of luck to everyone, no idea if I will look back in this thread tomorrow since it just grows so damn rapidly, someone should consider some new threads one day. ;)

16. MORA

:drama:

17. ronlp

You requested THIS , Massa?

Wow, I always thought it was ITS, since they don't weld so good either and also coat over it. Sheesh, if you can't weld for shit at least grind the crap down. :stickhit:

Good deed to apease the TW is done for the day and now my 3" downpipe and I will go back to PHing.

Carry on......

18. BlackMagic94

Richard Holdner likes HP enough that they are building a race turbo kit for his Silver State Classic Mustang, and a turbo kit for a honda for attempting a land speed record later next year. They is also a well known Mustang Tuner that has contracted HP to build turbo kits for new mustangs for them.

19. buffhomer

Hey now, how in the hell did you get that information? WTF?!?!

I told them fools quite a few times that they needed to get their welding crap straightened out, and I pointed out quite a few blemishes in their kits and various points in time. Suffice to say tho, the quality (of welding at least) is exponentially better than back when that thread was posted.

BTW, I'm a certified API Inspector and know wtf I'm looking at....not just holes either, ROFL.

My .05

20. BlackMagic94

I know all, hahahahahhahha