1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How Much Does Water Injection Drop Air Temp?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 14chp2c, Dec 22, 2010.

1. wantabe

ok, i see where your going now, thanks
    ( you had a typo of 110 lbs earlier..)

2. wantabe

Mark, i think you can safely say , tuneup may have been the factor for wins of funnycar.
    Its a plus for the exhaust to smell like rum :2thumbs:

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

In the spring I will be trying my turbo high compression setup with e-85and e98 if needed. Not your 2000hp lake boats but 700+ hp outta a 2.0 with a nice power curve will be fun.

4. CyanJaguar

better spool, better cooling, more power, allowing more compression, more timing, etc

5. AIS

Where did you position the nozzle(s) and what size were they? We've helped lots of guys drop their ET a little by simply placing a nozzle just before the compressor. Doing so many of our customers are picking up an extra 2-3 psi in boost, depending on the compressor and how much boos they are making. With no tuning change in tuning and only the addition of the nozzle pre-compressor. Additionally, were regaining the lose in horsepower you normally see when the day warms up. Cars are much more consistent from morning to afternoon and on back to back runs.

Rodney

6. blown385

Hi Rodney . The nozzles were just before the hat facing each other . This is one of your kits and was set-up for my combo , but dont know the nozzle size off hand . Everything worked fine and it did its job , I just never used it to add more timing , I bought it soon after installing an air temp sensor in the hat . lol The temps that Procharger put out were scary and I just wanted to cool her down some .

We never discussed spraying the compressor . This was some time ago when I was still running the procharger . Maybe two years ago . I now have an S480 and running W/A .

Rodney , you got guys spraying pre compressor with W/A ? And if so ............ just water ?

7. AIS

Hey buddy. I thought you had one of our systems but wasn't sure. As for pre-compressor injection. On centrifugal superchargers which are being spun at or near their maximum recommended impellar speed. Were picking up 2-3 psi with applications making at least 16+ psi

With turbo's it can be tricky as the boost controller will simply regulate the boost back down if equipped with one. But we do see them spool up quicker when spraying before the compressor and its a great way to drop the discharge temps by about 40 degree's before hitting the intercooler.

I don't know the build of your motor. But would you say the C16 you ran was a bit overkill for your combination? Where I'm going with this is if you run a gas like C16 on something that truly doesn;t require such a faul. Then throw water methanol injection on top off it. Particularity a large percentage of water is sprayed. You'll need to but another 2-3 degree's into as your using a very slow burning fuel in a application that doesn't truly require it. Then throwing water injection into the mix which only slows down the burn rate of the fuel more.

Good thing is you'll never spark knock the engine haha.

Rodney

8. blown385

I'm still running the C-16 on the turbo set-up , but not the water injection . Before the water/meth on the Procharger , I was seeing 280º in the hat . That was also using a procharger A/A intercooler . It was enough to make me think I needed to cool that down , even with the C-16 .

The new set-up probably could use a ton more timing and less fuel . Its an 8.8:1 385ci sbc . S480 , C-16 and 29º of timing at 17psi . Blow-thru carb 11.8 afrs

The thing is , I've got so much other stuff to get right , before leaning on it . Mainly working on short time right now with suspension . I only added the W/A because I felt the A/A was at its limit and it had to go anyway . Im very satified I made that decision .

Thats exactly why I use it . :D

9. AIS

Thats what iI figured. Your fine running the C16. Its just a bit over kill for a build like that with only 17 psi. Then throwing water methanol injection into the mix.

If you ever have any questions on your water methanol injection. Jetting, fluid types and mixs, nozzle locations etc. Just email me or PM me.

Rodney