1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How long till it grenades? ( It never did! Go figure.) Grenade part 2 to come.

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by trbo355, Apr 25, 2006.

1. slow67

Why not? blown385 does it too.

2. trbo355

Well hell yeah then. :2thumbs: My converter is pretty tight and i upgraded the transmission cooler size and also have airbags in the back springs. If the weight isnt excessive i dont see why i cant do it reliably for short distances.

3. slowboat

Best be an 8sec boat hauler as the 9sec one is a truck...lol.

4. BOOSTEDROK

I wanna see it!! Not read it lol!!

5. BlownShovel

;-) x2

6. trbo355

Yippee my cage passed tech today and is finally good to 8.50. :2thumbs:

7. BOOSTEDROK

8. MonzaRacer

OK Marty and the others wondering about superchargers and such on two strokes. The super charger helps scavenge the cylinder, remember the two stroke diesel is just like a bike or mower, it blows it out the bottom of the cylinders. As for running backwards later designs eliminated most of that as I only heard of it on OLD stuff and I took diesel classes at LTI back in 85-87.
    Just so you know. Superchargers where NOT the boost producer,, they were the exhaust "valve"/port scavenger.
    AS for going 8.50 why not swap in some cheap chinese ibeams (supposedly stronger) still run cast pistons and crank and keep trying to disassemble it AT SPEED.
    At least now with some chinese turbos you could really abuse them and never get bitch slapped.

9. StevenCanAm

:arco: Guys this was the most amazing read ever! Long live the Grenade! lol.
    I was looking on the net to see if my combo would work and I found you guys :bow:

Marty I cant wait for the new times, On my side again as much as you want to go straight I want to go sideways on a budget. So I found as its named in South Africa a Chev CanAm. A car with weight of around 1100kg. I have a old 327 large journal motor for it with a Holset HT60. management system and so on all still in pieces till I have all the parts needed.
    I will let you guys know when my little Drift project gets underway :welder:

10. trbo355

Heck yeah keep us posted. Sounds like a great project!

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Any updates with this car? :chacha:

12. BOOSTEDROK

Yeah what he said!!

13. trbo355

Whos car? Tha CanAm car or my junk? Mine is collecting dust because im a fag and lost interest in it. :stupid:

14. craig6.9diesel

You make me laugh!

15. watahyahknow

how is the big block version comming along ?
    last time it was still in the tuning stage i would love a final recepy list of the stuff used and some data on the powerband (when the boost comes in maximum boost at wish rpm stuff like that )

16. StevenCanAm

On my side its going very slow I have managed to pay the guy for the media blasting of the body but haven't had time to take the car to him yet. But this way I know I cant spend the money on some other crap :2thumbs: At least I wont be to long still then I can get stuck in to it, because at this stage I'm building a Dynamic Crank shaft balancing machine 24/7 . By the looks of things it will be all done in about another month! :cheers:

17. trbo355

The big block "grenade" i believe was the rock stock 402 with two chineese 57mm turbos that we made 638 whp even with the stock cam. That motor was removed a while ago and the 66 Impala is now sporting a .070 over 454 with lightly ported oval port heads, the biggest summit brand hyd cam at .540 lift. two 70 mm chineese fans, a CSU 750 bolted to a hideous TorkerII intake and a 100 shot of spray.

Nothing fancy and on a Dynocom dyno, it made 1003 whp at 20 lbs and a dirty 100 shot. Not bad! :cheers:

18. craig6.9diesel

19. watahyahknow

WOW that was the kind of power i was looking for when i started with my twin turbo bigblock idea , unfortunately it got blown out of proportion by deeds performance when i whent there for the headers and the turbo's ....... i wish i just whent along wth my own idea and kept it at the turbos for my engine , i wouldve had a nice and hot running engine then for the money i send them sofar

20. trbo355

Did some shop cleaning today and happened to dig out the old GRENADE long block. Just for fun i took another look at the bottom end and still cant believe all the things that little motor accomplished. Its obviously worn out with poor ring seal and very oily on the piston tops and shows every bit of 150k miles on it.

Im gonna tear it down here in the next few days and my buddy Jeff at Cassell Racing Engines is going to give it a fulll magnaflux and check all the rods for straightness. lets have some fun and see how close to failure it really was! To recap, the best WHP number it put down was 738 on a conservative dynojet dyno. 1/4 mile time calculators repeatedly show a 3663 lb car has to make roughly 980 to 1038 flywheel Hp to run 150 mph so lets see how well the worlds most worn out 2 bolt 355 ci motor held up! I'll post tear down pix and what i find. Should be fun!

here are few new pics of the old gal as she currently sits. Obviously cast no name pistons and i took a close up of the #7 cylinder that always oiled the most. It got street driven quite a bit before being yanked so it gucked up the pistons pretty good. Race gas and boost always cleaned off the tops and made it look new. Ha ha.

grenade 001.JPG #ad

grenade 002.JPG #ad

grenade 003.JPG #ad