1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How long till it grenades? ( It never did! Go figure.) Grenade part 2 to come.

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by trbo355, Apr 25, 2006.

1. 1BadV6ThirdGen

is ti always the same turbo? have u measured the bore in the chra to make sure its within spec, or maybe the oil passage in the chra is partially blocked.

just throwing some ideas out there

2. watahyahknow

maibe the bov valve is too big and the turbo's overspeed at the finishline when you get off the gas , i have seen people using two bovs one opening after the other

3. MonzaRacer

On the topic of rings one brand may call them moly the other plasma moly. thing is they are all the same basic idea, the plasma moly burnishes in easier, and holds oil as its not 100% solid. Its kind of like a sinterd bronze fuel filter butthe back is sealed up so oil cant get away and its there to lube cylinder, and yes the moly rings are set in ductile cast iron rings, reason they are more recommended for rerings on ridged bores.
    Cast work ok but are brittle ,even though most sets use the moly ring in second groove. BUT cast rings need a straight cylinder. For last 25 + yrs an old boss of mine with machineshop/garages uses 300 sunnen stones for any moly ring, well for just about anything. thin rings totally different animals.

4. trbo355

Thanks for the info. Its sort of a grey area in the car world as to what your actually buying.

5. ss69camaro7

Wow a week later and im finally done reading. I will say that if it wasn't for marty i would never have thought a stock sbc would pull a 9. Cant wait to get my camaro running finally. The only diffrence single gt45 and powerjection III.

6. trbo355

It DOES take a while to read huh? The last part of this thread doesnt talk about much of anything but thats the fun. Talk about whatever you want here! :2thumbs: Some things ive learned since that motor experiment is we were very close to the HP limits of the stock rods. It seems a stock rod 383 will bend them at 770-800 whp and the 350's shorter stroke buys a little more wiggle room before HP simply folds them.

I got lucky and didnt lose any rods but a local guy severely bent a few at a higher power level. The motor ran fine too and had no idea until teardown. Also it seems my 8 dollar corteco or enginetech gaskets have a upper 700 whp limit too before they dont last very long no matter what the tune. And last night at the track we killed a copper head gasket with no o-ringing (just slapped em on) on a 175 shot and 25 lbs boost. Id guess that motor was making 800 whp before it milkshaked the oil. So MLS may be the best answer short of an o-ringed block to live at elevated power levels. But you can sure have a lot of fun with junk! :stupid:

7. ss69camaro7

Well I've been parting mine together for 4 years and just got it all together this year except my exhaust. Hoping to break 600 and give my brothers 358 turbo 95 gt a good lil run i hope. Any updates on the t/a or Cadillac.

8. trbo355

The T/A hasnt done much lately. Took it to the track friday night and ran a 9.55 thru the exhaust and got booted for good when it comes to anymore 9 second passes. It seems a NHRA official saw some of the youtube videos posted and reamed my track guy bigtime about cutting me some slack and im banned til i get legal. The Caddy lived for a brief moment a few weeks ago only to blow another head gasket or something strange in the #1 cylinder. It pissed me off enough to walk away again and let it rot till next spring. :bang:

9. trbo355

600 should be an easy goal to accomplish with what you have. Have faith because it WILL run hard! :D

10. watahyahknow

i havent been looking intoo the chevy type engines for a while , i needed a daily driver again and found out that mercedes 5 or 6 cylinder dieselengines can make awesome power for little outlay considering
    there verry overbuild and can make up to 500 hp in stock form with a injectionpumpupgrade to 7.5 mm elements (this costs 1000 euro) and a holset hx40 turbo or simulair blowing through an intercooler even the gearbox clutch and rearaxle can take the strain if upgraded to other stock parts out of the mercedes line
    i bought a roadtaxexempt mercedes 190 4 cylinder 2,0D and im planning on building a 6 cilinder 3.0TD in that , if it runs good i might build a second mercedes 3,0 in my pickup
    it will do sumtin like this when im done :
    &feature=related[/url]

good thing that it will be able to do it on waste cooking oil , making the fun even cheaper

11. spidergearsman

a great great thread

12. Drac0nic

Wow that thing looks like it could use some LP injection to make it burn a bit cleaner.

13. furchaser

ooops ... fixed. :cheers:

14. Drac0nic

Maybe you just don't have enough pump on your diesel. Just saying. :D

15. charles

:cheers:
    Cheers Marty, I see you and your mates are in the December Car Craft again!

16. trbo355

Thanks! We got a pretty cool writeup on all the local Spokane turbo cars. :2thumbs:

17. bluchev

I saw that also, pretty sweet!

If you look at the car craft nationals pictures theres a small picture of my engine compartment :chacha: bottom right corner of the page

18. trbo355

Nice! Thats a big ol' single turbo ya got there on page 67. :2thumbs:

19. flynbrian

Just droppin in to say Hi! Been a long time since I been on here. I sold the monte back in feb. And recently bought a super clean 99 GT Mustang. When its paid for you can bet its gettin a turbo or two. I kept alot of my turbo parts from the last build.
    Ill be at the PRI show the end of this week. Also good to see you in the magazines again Marty.

20. watahyahknow

i hope you pointed the seller to this forum so we can enjoy the car a bit more

bridal-shoal