1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How long till it grenades? ( It never did! Go figure.) Grenade part 2 to come.

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by trbo355, Apr 25, 2006.

1. trbo355

Cheap turbos get me excited. I want one of those turbos just to put under my pillow so i can fondle it at night. :D

2. watahyahknow

getting realy disturbing pictures inside my head now :eek: some guy in a doctors office explaning how he got stuck in eeeeeeh never mind

3. Drac0nic

This is what they call a "motorsexual." Got me a TMF5502 for 150 bones, gotta see how that sucker stacks up. Maybe I'll actually be able to get some fab work done on the heap soon.

4. jfive

Since everyone is talking about turbos, what is a .75a/r cold .96 a/r 6V92 turbo good for.

5. craig6.9diesel

I have seen posts saying that they can make 750-850 hp. I hope to have mine in my truck in the next 2 months or so. I will hopefully have more info on this. I dont want to run any more then 6-8 psi until I seen how the old girl is going to handle it. I have also heard that they arent the most efficient, so you could make more power with other turbos of similar size, I think because they are heavy. But I believe that they are pretty upgradable thought too. If you do a search on TV7512 there are several posts.

6. Drac0nic

Can't believe this has gone over a week without any replies in it. Bumpity

7. 1BadV6ThirdGen

lol ill be able to start a gernade thread here shortly
    stock sbc
    stock tpi
    76mm t6

just waiting n some weld els , i ordered , and my t6 flange from rps.
    next week ill place my final parts order with rps for my oil lines and downpipe flange

i also found out my motor isnt a 400 i read the engine code wrong its a 70's 350

i need to update my build thread lol

8. watahyahknow

hey thats the same kind of engine i have ....... good , any more data on the turbo itself ? like where the typenumber for the turbo or maybe the engine its usually mounted on

9. trbo355

Id like to see how that TPI and a badass 76mm turbo does. Bet it runs hard!
    I think the huge turbo i put on my cadillac 500 project is something close to a TV 7512. If thats the case, it came off a 2 stroke 800 inch compound turbo/supercharged diesel engine. They need the supercharger to even run with one intake valve on the head. Plenty weird. The only problem ive had is the exhaust wheel and housing is so big, it wont spool. It started out with a 1.32 housing and a 3.5 inch turbine wheel. Now it has a smaller A/R but forgot what number it is.

10. craig6.9diesel

Is it off the 8v92 motor? I think you will be alright with your 500 in caddy motor. I have heard the 7512 is to small for a big block and I would imagine it would be. It would make power just probably done a low rpm.

I was told by an old trucker that they were supercharged to keep them from running backwards. For example climbing a mountain pass and slow all the way down till it stops and the engine reversing and it going backwards down the 7% grade with a trailer on the back. Sounds scary to me thats for sure.

11. 1BadV6ThirdGen

it should run pretty good, i have the same mods done to my tpi that u did,and the 882's are mildly ported so the heads should be better then the ones u used.

if im lucky my motor is a truck 350 and has 4bolt mains and a forged crank :chacha: ill have to get some more info on the mtr later today

my wastegate has a 10 psi spring in it now so ill have to see what it makes for boost when i get it running then adjust it with a boost controler

12. 1BadV6ThirdGen

from what i gather my tv7512 came of a 6v92 in a city transit bus 76mm compressor wheel 83mm turbine wheel and an ar of 1.08 on the turbine side, got it for 112$'s also about to pick up a tv8511 for 60 bucks :2thumbs: but i dont know much about it

13. trbo355

Your 882's are definitely better than what i stared with. They were 991 casting, small valve small port junkers. Those went 9.75 and then i stepped up up to 487x with light bowl blending. 4 bolt mains will help but my 2 bolt did live but the bolts needed 85 ft lbs torque to stop cap walk.
    That turbo sounds much more usable than mine. Mine might be called a TV 8512 but cant remember.Mine has an 88mm compressor and is simply too big for even a stock cammed 500 to push. Although it had a ton of broken off exh manifold bolts that leaked more than i thought. I fixed them all and cammed it up only to lose a ton of lobes. Just bought a new cam and am planning to get back to work on it after a year of it sitting. :2thumbs:

14. 1BadV6ThirdGen

do u know what thse 487x heads flow stock?
    stock 882s will outflow an aluminum l98 head but its only by a few cfm 3-5 at most mildly ported they should be abit better

im hoping that the tv8511 has an 88mm compressr wheel if it does im swaping the wheel and housing from the tv8511 onto my tv7512

my goal is to actually to get this thing into the high 8's
    a cam swap would help but im not tearing into this engine at all besides what i did to convert it to tpi,the motor looks like it was rebuilt not to long ago im debating n borrowing my friends inspection camera and sticking it in a spark plug hole to see if this thing has an over bore

before i took the carb off i drove it around the block once it ran pretty good except i pissed off all my neighbors car had open manifolds at the time lol

15. 1BadV6ThirdGen

ok now i feel bad

my block is a good block 0010 block
    sure would be a shame to punch a hole in the side of it :doh:

need to get the date code off the block but it shold be a 4 bolt main/ forged crank

16. watahyahknow

sounds weird to me , unless the engine gets so hot it starts to burn the engine oil , the dieselpump only injects the fuel after top dead center and even the fact that it is a two stroke whont make a difference , it whont run backwarts untill the injectionpoint moves quite a way before top dead center

17. craig6.9diesel

18. trbo355

882"s suck. Period. But anything can make power under boost. LOL. The 882 has a weird uncommon exhaust port design and retarded intake ports that are nothing special. Dont know what the 487X flows but its one of the better stock heads. You also better consider the ring end gap on your motor. If its too fresh and not used up a bit, the ring gap will be too tight and shell the ring lands off when they butt together. Its one of the key things to making junk run hard.

19. 1BadV6ThirdGen

thanks for reminding me about the top ring gap, it actually slipped my mind :doh:, ill probably pull the heads off it today :bah:.
    which sucks cause i had just buttoned up the carb to tpi swap.
    atleast i can swap the heads from side to side to fix my broken accesory mounting hole in the passenger side head.

what head gaskets did u run on urs?

20. trbo355

I run either Corteco or engine tech standard rebuilder gaskets. When things are right, a $8 head gasket works perfect.