1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How long till it grenades? ( It never did! Go figure.) Grenade part 2 to come.

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by trbo355, Apr 25, 2006.

1. flyinhillbilly

mine always more than look like a bunch of junkyard shit. :2thumbs:

2. watahyahknow

seen a truck once called factory reject ..... it was a fitting name for the truck

3. Drac0nic

This thing got quiet since it hit the hall of fame. Maybe it got preserved in Lucite or something. :D

4. trbo355

It did didnt it? Its harder to find now i suppose.

5. watahyahknow

i would like to see a succesful big block chevy version of the grenade sometime
    it will take another 2 years for me to be financially able to even look at my truck and work on its engine and i would love to have some certanty about the turbos i can use for it

6. ttypewe4jim

For me... its been a mix of things.. This year was the first time in a few years I had my car together and I went all out getting it going and driving it :stupid: think i sort of burnt my self out with it :bang: but when the car started knocking on me like a month ago now I guess I basically went into the mode of hating the car again :bah: :D.. Il get it going again soon just been playing with the new quad way to much lately and the new gf is not helping in the time department :doh: and it really don't help that she lives alittle over 3 hours away right now :eek: I will get it going again over the winter or maybe sooner we will have to just wait and see :2thumbs:

7. watahyahknow

man got his priorities straight ..... i think ..... maibe get the gf a car so she could come to you , gives you 3 hours to work on youre car :welder:

8. ttypewe4jim

lol she does have a car and will make the trip down here sometimes... I like going up there though better area then the hood around me lol. If I really wanted to I could have the car apart tonight but lately just dont feel like it lol

9. trbo355

Well...... my buddy marshall did it with a junk 402 bbc with a STOCK cam and some chineese T-3's and made 640ish whp. Now he has a nicely built 468 bbc with MPT-70's that made 750 whp at 19 lbs boost and its been a total failure so far in reliability. We tore it down tonight and it appears the factory oval port head castings simply are too thin on the deck surface and blow gaskets like crazy.
    At first i thought it was the tune or lack of octane but this last go round with Fel Pro MLS gaskets lasted 3 passes before it spit em out. The big block head bolt pattern has apparent weaknesses and the lack of deck stability means if a guy wants more then mid 600 whp, he's gonna have to step up and go aftermarket aluminum heads. They just arent as boost friendly as a dirtbag SBC buildup.

10. watahyahknow

hey thats real good to know thanks for the info on the heads i was planning a 454 with only a small overbore to keep the cylinderwalls and gasket surface as thick as i can keep them never thought the stock heads would actualy lift , are the master power t70 turbos good for streetuse .... i mean about what rpm they start to work?
    there T4 flange right ?

11. trbo355

Yep T-4. It spools pretty damn fast and will get up on a transbrake with a 2400 stall. In first gear, it pretty much just blows the tires a split second after you punch it. The cylinder head issue surprised me too. You just think because its big block that its all heavy duty stuff but the production heads have a huge weakness.

12. Drac0nic

Bolts or studs? The other thing that comes to mind is that the bore of the 396 is more conducive to boost. Honestly even though you can get an SB in 400 CID from the factory I would think it would be the ability to put in heavy duty bottom end components from the factory ould really give the BB its edge. least for stock junk

13. watahyahknow

in the stock stuff yes , in the aftermarket i would go for a smallblock as its shaves a lot of weight

14. flynbrian

Well I blew up my Monte....My grenade wanna be lasted 4 years until I pushed the timing up to 25 degree's and not enough octane. Rattled on one run, pulled the timing back to 20 but the damage was done...Made 5 more 13 second passes until I got afraid I might oil the track....So I drove it home smoking all the way. Burned #7 and 8 pistons down to the rings and #7 through both top rings...I honestly think some new slugs and it would run fine again. Engine dated 10/73 and no ridge on the top of the standard 4" bore!!!!

15. flynbrian

Wow nobody home anymore? :'(

16. furchaser

Nobody wanted to comment on the timing thing and come off as a Douchebag for rubbing salt in the wounds.

17. trbo355

Oops i do check in from time to time! Man that sucks you broke it. How much boost were you running? 25 degrees isnt that hot unless boost and octane werent happy.

18. flynbrian

My autometer boost gauage read between 12-15 psi...not intercooled locked out distributor it always ran happy with 92-94 octane gas and 20 degree's of timing. Turned it up to 25 last saturday morning. On the street it felt much stronger down low. got on it every chance I could on the way to the track and it seemed happy. But once on the starting line it changed its mind. Stuttered and stumbled to a 15.01 and I left off the track at the 1st turn off.
    I pulled out the timing light and put it back to twenty but I also forgot the last time at the gas station was out of premium. So all they had was 89 octane. The next pass it was pulling much better but still struggled to a 13.4 @ 102 and right at the end it popped hard.

Stock 37 year old pistons and valve springs....I figured it could have been anything...rougher running and vibration. Drove it home and pulled heads. Damage is very obvious. broke all around outer edge of 2 pistons and much rings showing burned through top 2 rings and badly grooved cylinder molten aluminum stuck to top of cylinder too. both rear pistons 7 & 8.

mangled the plugs too...Still had alot of power as a 6 cylinder thoughI have a 6" h-beam rod 360" shortblock to put in....Just not sure of cam & heads yet. I want a lumpy cool sounding idle...So I am willing to give up some power....Thought about 280 comp magnum cam. 230 degrre actual with 480 lift. single pattern hydraulic. also stepping up to my 76mm Precision turbo Q trim with .96 a/r turbine

I had a 67mm P trim that was too small and had alot of backpressure. I also want to replace the torquer II single plane with a victor junior intake...I was thinking about pro-comp heads cuz they are so cheap...What do you think?

19. flynbrian

Only reason I want a lumpy cam is because for the last 4 years the car sounded like a derby car. Open downpipe with stock cam....Yeah know...I heard a inline 6 Lexus turbo car that sounded heavenly and want a idle more like it had.

I had a 280 magnum cam in a 355 a long time ago and it was great sounding but not terribly big. I think it was a 2000-6000 rpm cam. So with my 6" hbeams and it being balanced I dont think 7,000 rpm is out of question. With old stock cam engine wouldn't turn over 5,500

I had a set of world heads Iron 72cc I ended up selling (needed money) So looking for cheap heads that will work well. I'm thinking if my 882's aren't hurt putting new valves and springs in them and running them again.

20. Drac0nic

Valve back cutting isn't a bad idea along with a good valve job and some pocket porting if you haven't yet. Probably mismatched for what you're wanting to do though with the cam. For those heads I would probably be thinking split pattern but that's just me.