1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How long till it grenades? ( It never did! Go figure.) Grenade part 2 to come.

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by trbo355, Apr 25, 2006.

1. slow67

I'm also used to 4th gens, which are a little heavier....might be why you haven't broken it yet

2. trbo355

Well were gonna have to wait to see who got the closest guess on the ET. The first launch of the night was an ultra sticky hook on the brake at 3500 rpm on the 2 step with the 100 shot of juice activated. My trusty stock 3.00 ring and pinion thats been so reliable decided to go POOF! Busted the pinion shaft off right where the splines end inside the yoke. Dammit!

She hooked like no other and was definitely going to be heading skyward with the front hoops till the driveline hit the track and showered sparks everywhere. It was pretty bitchin and i dont mind breaking stuff except i only made it 2 feet down the track on the first damn pass. :D

3. Drac0nic

Hey least you didn't get kicked out. Live to fight another day. 3.0 gears seem to be pretty cheap for stockers anyways, the 3.50s go for bank though. What did you do for the third member to get it to hold?

4. slow67

I got some new 3.00 gears from quick performance.....prices seem to be inline with everyone else (but 3.00 gears are hard to find).

5. trbo355

Took it all apart today and from what i can figure, way back when the car ran the 9.37 run, it must have injured the ring gear since 4 teeth have been missing for a LONG time judging by the wear pattern. It finally busted all the way and locked the rearend which broke the pinion shaft and toasted the case by breaking off the pinion stub bearing support. Its all stock stuff with the exception of a 31 spline truetrac posi and dutchman axles.

6. Drac0nic

So not even an "N" case?

7. trbo355

Nope. Just a C7AW case which isnt too bad. With a 3.00 gear its not nearly as hard on the case as a 4.57 or 5.13 so things last a lot longer.

8. Drac0nic

Makes me feel a ton better about mine that's for certain. I was thinking about going to a D60 or something crazy like that. May have to consider again. Supposedly it makes a huge difference on the 7.5s too because they have a lot more meshing of the teeth so when the case flexes it's not nearly as damaging.

9. ttypewe4jim

Mine is hurt :bang: started knocking on my way home from work the other day :doh: hoping to get the motor out and onto a stand tomorrow night....

Here is a pic of the number 6 rod bearing for now

[​IMG]#ad

Trying to have it fixed by saturday for a race Ive been looking forward to all summer :'(

10. trbo355

Hows progress going? And did you figure out what went wrong in your motor?

I got my car back together tonight and it seems to be working fine. I hope i didnt screw up going to a 2.75 ratio in back because it seems a little sluggy to me and not what i expected. On a full steam run, RPM was 6000 thru the traps but the motor lays over at 5500 so i thought i needed a gear swap from 3.00. Hopefully it doesnt hurt the rest of the run being a bit undergeared.

Oh well i guess i can always change it back if it doesnt work. :doh:

11. fastestdriver

Going back this weekend? It's cool to see that car back in action. :2thumbs:
    I am pulling for you fwiw.

-Eldon

12. ttypewe4jim

Nope been to tired after work this week to mess with it :bang: only thing that is holding it in still is one motor mount bolt lol :stupid:

13. Drac0nic

If you're running the stock LTR style TPI intake still I don't see it hurting you as much as you think. A lot of people say that 3.42s are the max for a 350 car or it can lose performance. Naturally I'm sure the boost plays a huge role in that dynamic but at the same time there is something to be considered there.

14. trbo355

Of course gearing varies a lot depending on the ET the car runs. Its never made power past 5500-5600 rpm no matter what tune on the dyno. Its really easy to keep it off the 6400 rpm limiter even when blowing the tires off since the power just planes off so much at high revs.

In fact its a really odd car to drive since there are no RPM's and its more like a diesel truck. The 150 mph run was turning 6000 rpm with the 3.00 cog and i dont think the car had much more mph left in it so thats where the 2.75 gear idea came into play. I used to have 3.25's way back when and the car outgrew them in a hurry.

If i was gonna build it to be faster, i think the TPI would have to get lost and a bigger cam and turbos would be needed to extend the RPM band. Its not that the TPI doesnt support the power but the lack of RPM is making it hard to have a perfect combo from launch to finish line.

If you guys drove this car, you would realize it pulls harder than hell but has a very limited sweet spot thats only from 4000 to 5600 rpm. Its a match made in heaven with the entire combo but to go faster would take a LOT of changes to every part of the car. Gearing, converter, single plane intake, exhaust A/R ratio and cam would all be affected. Who knows, it may work perfect this friday night. Ill let you guys know!

15. Drac0nic

It's super easy to upset a combination. If you're only making 1600 RPM worth of power band though I'd be concerned about having enough useable power with the gears you have then. That being said if you're running a pair of 44s you're limited by that in a big way too. If you start eating bearings in the turbos again I'd be thinking about going to something bigger maybe even 4 bolt like a pair of T66es or 62-1s.

16. trbo355

Ever notice cars are like a drug habit? You just gotta keep feeding the habit with MONEY. :D

17. Drac0nic

Unfortunately I think the only thing more expensive than cars are women. Or damn near it.

18. trbo355

Tonight at the track was a blast! No 8 second runs but i cut a 1.35 60 ft time tripping the beams with the back tires and landed about 80 ft out. The timers used to be fast before the new track upgrades so my times now are more realistic. She went 9.45@ 148 with a crappy 1.53 60 ft time and on the good wheelie it went 9.54@146 but i missed the 1-2 shift because when it landed, it went into massive bumpsteer and shook the steering wheel really bad till it went airborne for a split second on rebound and straightened up. While i was two handing the wheel, the motor hit the 6400 rpm limiter pretty hard and ruined the run.

The transmission is also losing 2nd gear pretty badly and did a LOOOOONG slip on every run which hurt times. On a good note, 2.75 gears can pull a SHITLOAD of airtime and still run a decent time. Best 1/8 mile time was a 6.14@ 117 mph and after the last kickass wheelie run, the driver turbo ate shit AGAIN because i hit the limiter in the burnout. pedaled back to 3/4 throttle and it did the damn compressor surge thing again.

By the end of the run the turbo was dead like always. Fuck! What causes that to happen? Its always in stereo alternating back blows from left to right turbo and power drops while its back blowing till i let off or floor it again. I heard it happen and lifted but had a feeling i just hurt i hurt it again. Sure enough, one run and it puked. Oh well who cares it was a bitchin night! :chacha: :chacha: :chacha:

Several people got it all on video so ill try to get someone to post it up. Hell yeah!

19. slow67

What size is your 2nd feed hole?

20. trbo355

I dunno its whatever came with the transbrake. What it needs is the 4L80 2nd clutch pack that adds one more friction in there and maybe a small line pressure bump. I ran it low on fluid years ago at the track and glazed the 2nd pack. Otherwise it would probably still be ok.