1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

how far would you push an iron ls1

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by 73 nova, Apr 7, 2016.

1. 73 nova

What's your idea of big hp? I'm gonna find a block for my gen 4 stuff. Until I do I'm gonna use this stock ls1 stuff I picked up last year for next to nothing. If it breaks I learned if not I'll swap it into an s10 some time later.

2. 55Chevy

There may be exception but several guys including Sloppy Mechanics have verified the Gen 3 rods like to get bendy around 600 RWHP. What ever that equals at the crank, est 780 HP at the crank. I would say this sounds plausible. You could make more power but how long will it last?

3. 73 nova

I like for my junk not to break. The budget this year dictates if it breaks it's sitting until further notice. Is this my best option? Not really. Will it work until I get the rest sorted yes. I may his this other block with a hone and see what happens. I'd rather have a 5.3 at this point.

4. 55Chevy

I'd suggest a true 650 HP at the crank would put close to 500 rwhp down, that would be a good start to getting the rest sorted out. Maybe play with it around 550 rwhp range when you might need it. Build a stronger short block to swap in there for even bigger power later. Enjoy it! JD

5. Forcefed86

Also FWIW the 4.8 is a better platform for boost and will take more abuse than a 5.3. In a Gen3 Or Gen4. Guys reporting 900whp on gen3 4.8's last quite a while. Shorter stroke and making power later in the RPM band helps then survive at higher power levels

6. 55Chevy

This makes me feel a little better about my Mild 4.8 Turbo build! Short stroke long rod build for the WIN! I wish I could have gotten lucky and bought a 4.8 with the thicker GEN 4 rods with full floating pistons though. Oh well, I'll build what I have and run it while I start the build for a stronger setup.

Heck Hot Rod pushed a Turbo 4.8 to 1200 HP at the crank but it was on a engine dyno not in a car. Plus I'm not sure which rods that engine had in it. JD

7. Forcefed86

Put a cam thats lazy on power till 5500ish and it will take alot of abuse IMO. LS9 cam is dirt cheap and easy. I really liked mine.

8. 73 nova

I've decided to go ahead and build it. It's gonna cost me a bore and a set of main bearings I didn't already have. Once I get the block back it's on like donkey kong. Low boost and babysoft.

9. trbo355

I have been beating the daylights out of my stock 4.8 rod and crank motor but it uses a 6.0 bore and pistons. All stock junk right down to the rod bolts and it sees 7400 rpm every day and has made 754 whp so far without issue. That proves the 4.8's short stroke and hard parts are plenty capable of living behind some pretty good power!

10. trbo355

Exactly. You sir are a very smart man when it comes to making power on junk! LOL

11. 55Chevy

This is bad ass!

12. 73 nova

Was kinda wanting to use the 4.8 I had but put it in my truck instead. I wound up selling all the iron ls1 stuff and bought a 5.3 block that is waiting on a rotating assembly and I can start making progress on my nova again.

I've always wanted to build a 6.0 with 4.8 guts and figured it would be a high rpm screamer. Glad to hear it's living a good life at 7400. You need to put a new grenade in the bird and get it back going.