1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

help my leaking t'netics t76

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SOLIDSNAK3, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Turbo Daves

I might add that I have had customers with oil drainage problems that just punched a hole in the pan right in line with one of the crank throws, and no matter what they did do fix the problem nothing seemed to cure it. But when then actuality took the pan off and welded on a fitting in line with one of the main caps so your not getting all the oil throw and windage off the crank directed at the drain fitting the problem was solved

2. SOLIDSNAK3

3. Turbo Daves

Those are similar to what I use , but both my drain lines are inline with the main caps on the block and are welded in. If your confident that the turbo is OK, then start at the drain from the turbo. Use no silicone or any other gasket sealer on the gaskets. No reason to. If the turbo is draining properly, there will be no pressure whatsoever on the drain. And besides, silicone kills turbos fast. I want to see a pic of you drain flange

4. SOLIDSNAK3

i'll post a pic tomorrow.

5. Turbo Daves

OK, sounds good. Lets start there and work our way down. Sunday night, got to feed my family talk at you tomorrow

Dave

6. SOLIDSNAK3

7. SOLIDSNAK3

ok. here are some pics of my drain flange and my oil pan fitting. it defienetly looks like a restriction. i know i should use a -10 to 1/2 fitting, but what about a -10 to 3/4 fitting?

1027082033.jpg #ad

1027082034.jpg #ad

1027082037.jpg #ad

1027082036.jpg #ad

8. Turbo Daves

ok. here are some pics of my drain flange and my oil pan fitting. it definitely looks like a restriction. i know i should use a -10 to 1/2 fitting, but what about a -10 to 3/4 fitting?

About 100x better than where you are now. Do It!

9. SOLIDSNAK3

COOL! thanks Dave. i'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

10. SOLIDSNAK3

ok, so i couldn't find any -10 to 1/2 locally so i took the -10 to 3/8 and drilled it out with a 1/2 inch bit put it on with a new gasket on the drian flange and so far so good. no oil out the coupler. still haven't gotten into boost but i drove it around for 10 miles and will be retightening thing down with the engine warm. i'll try some boost runs tomorrow.

11. Turbo Daves

good deal. let me know whats happens! I think your on the right track now!

12. SOLIDSNAK3

well turns out that wasn't the answer but, i think i found the source of the leak. it looks like oil is making its way out on the exhaust housing side. right where the exhaust housing bolts to the center section, there is oil seeping out. it runs down the housing to the pipe that feeds the turbo. i believe that it is also making its way to the coupler as well, because only a portain of the coupler get oil. the rest is bone dry.

what do you guys think, could my i have blown some sort of seal?

thanks!

13. Turbo Daves

It's probably still coming out the turbine side of the turbo. Sent me the turbo, lets take a look before expensive parts get beat up. That we I can tell for sure if the turbo is, or is not the cause of the problem

14. SOLIDSNAK3

ok sounds good. pm sent.

15. svooh

Textbook troubleshooting and help thread. Excellent work gentlemen.
    These problems are very common SOLIDSNAK3... your setup should be up and running without too much fuss at all.

16. SOLIDSNAK3

i didn't see a troubleshooting thread. im sorry for posting in the wrong spot. you can move it if you like.

17. svooh

Oh no...that's not what I meant. lol. I meant this was a great example of a great tech thread.

18. SOLIDSNAK3

oh. i understand. thanks! i hope to have this issue fixed.

19. SOLIDSNAK3

i know i have probably asked, but how could my motor be causing this? i doubt it but i figured id ask. could i be that unlucky with turbonetics turbos. im still thinking of going with a different brand.

20. 86lx

I hate to butt in here, but I am a newbie, kinda, and I have serious oil blowback problems. Like oil all over the place. I got vents and catch cans, but still blowing oil
    I tapped my morose 7 at up in the front where that little drop down part is
    I noticed I couldn't get the fitting ok n because it was hitting something
    Probably the crank counter weight. There were no instructions with this kit
    Where do I punch i punch into the pan??