1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

GRENADE teardown/autopsy. This should be fun!

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by trbo355, Aug 28, 2012.

1. BlownShovel

NO - I wish I wouldn't have sold my 396 stocker boost mule

2. trbo355

Shit, that bone stock 402 in my buddies TT 66 Impala had a rock stock bottom end and stock broomstick cam, a set of freshened heads, came out of a 300 dollar 65 chevy farm truck with rotted bed sides and made 648 whp with a set of chineese 57mm twins. Just another stock engine that kicked ass and never blew up! :2thumbs:

3. BlownShovel

Surprisingly good boost foundations. Mine was a 70 350 HP with stock longblock ..added headers, intake, DIY Carb, ls5 valve springs. Sob was $500 eBay .. tore it down fountains a .040/.030 crank. Stock rod pistons ... Good times

4. Forcefed86

5. 73 nova

Any news on this?

6. Mad Dart

Goes to show that you don't need all the fancy bells and whistles to make some good power. 25PSI and a 140 Shot of NOS is pretty Radicle even on a Forged motor that is O-Ringed. Funny cause this engine says the total opposite of what every engine builder preach's on a daily basis. WOW!! :2thumbs:

Were the heads studded??

7. Forcefed86

I'm thinking the ass load of blow-by saved the engine from any type of immediate part-exploding stresses. That and the tuner was top notch and kept it out of detonation. :2thumbs:

8. Mad Dart

Was this a blow through set up or EFI?? Also who did your tuning cause I am going to fly them into California to do mine!!

9. vwdave

IIRC, its a TPI setup with a Holley Commander, and Marty (trbo355) tuned it himself.

10. trbo355

Correct it was tuned port and run with a Holley Commander 950. The engine guy has been busy and hasnt got to magnafluxing the motor yet. Ill start hounding him to get some shit done cuz enquiring minds want to know! :2thumbs:

11. trbo355

It had ALL stock fasteners with main and head bolts torqued to 85 lbs. The main caps walked a bit at 75 lbs and the higher torque value locked em down solid. Thats the perfect torque for a 7/16 fastener to bring them right to the yield point. A stock replacement Corteco head gasket would live all summer and be on the ragged edge of blowing when id tear a head off. Stock valves, stock press in studs, pushrods, everything internal was garden variety junk.

Once it popped a rocker stud from extreme exhaust pressure and randomly bent one pushrod so those items are definitely on thin ice with lots of boost! The bottom end was plenty loose and survived virtually in the same condition that 150k miles wore it to. :stupid:

12. Mad Dart

I am currently reading your build in the Hall of Fame. Very great information here that can be applied to any manufactures engine whether it be a Chevy, Ford, Mopar Etc! Damn!! :chacha:

13. trbo355

Its a LONG read but worth it. Gets kinda pointless towards the end with random chatter but there is some solid info in there how to approach running JUNK hardcore and making it live. :2thumbs:

14. Drac0nic

*TOP* Time to wake your machinist up.

15. alain

I followed the other post and am now reading along here. I just tore a 360 Mopar apart (that I blew up a few years ago), and am going to rebuild it. I found 2 cracked (cast) pistons and am considering upgrading to forged pistons. This post however is forcing me to reconsider. The bores are std and have virtually no wear, so dropping in a set of stock cast pistons would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

25psi and a 140 shot is waaaayyy past what I am doing, so you've got me thinking.....

16. trbo355

I was at the machine shop yesterday and told him to get on the bastard and magnaflux some shit! :D

17. denmah

.320 GAP ! HAHAHAH

18. trbo355

Aint it great? I cant remember if i posted this but it turns out the ring was broken on install a million years ago and its always been that way. I have been secretly admiring your buildup too BTW. You truly are THE MAN! :bow:

19. denmah

haha we should get together and turbocharge some beers

20. TDmkr496

denmah you should do the same thing if/when that 5.3 nitrous dumpster drops a deuce.