1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

"Gold Dust" 97 GT 4v 88mm

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 1hcam, Nov 15, 2013.

1. 1hcam

The hotside is finished. I was lucky enough to empty out a box of scraps I had laying around. I started on the down pipe. Hopefully I can get it wrapped up this weekend. I'm waiting on one last box of hose and fittings to come in. Once theyre here it SHOULD be ready to fire. :)

[​IMG]#ad
    Untitled[/url] by Kurtis Forsberg, on Flickr

2. Drac0nic

Wish I could make art like that. Nice pipes.

3. 1hcam

Thanks man!

4. 1hcam

I was able to work on the car yesterday. I finished up the temporary exhaust and with the exception of about a dozen hoses that need to be made I'll be ready to fire this sucker up. I wasn't able to get a good pic of the exhaust coming through the bumper. This one looks a little weird but it gives you an idea.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. blown385

you ready to make a test pass ?

6. 1hcam

Dave.... have you seen any vids of me break dancing next to it running? Lol

Maybe a week or so if there’s no issues.

7. blown385

Fake news . lol

Let me know. Weather should be getting better .

Im going to keep my Innovators balancer , and have the hub cut back to accept the proper bolt . Then have my bro-in-law make me a pulley for it .

8. 1hcam

That's cool. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Got the car running last night. I have a handful of issues to straighten out. This piece of shit is testing my patience. lol

9. 1hcam

Well this pos is finally running. I’m waiting for a new radiator to come in and then hopefully I can get a half ass tune up in it and try to shake it down before heading to GA November? Lol

Chris91LX likes this.
  10. Chris91LX

Awesome, glad to see it up and running Kurtis!

11. 1hcam

Last Friday I finally took the car for a ride around the block. Everything seemed good so I wound up driving out to the track to put some miles on her and work on the fuel tables. It's roughly a 1/2hr each way. I drained the break in oil out and put in a fresh set of plugs. I might try making some boost later tonight and see what happens.

Click on Video:

[​IMG]#ad

12. 1hcam

I just wrote this long post and it was deleted before I could post the damn thing.

So long story short The one tnt chance I had a fualty sensor in the boost controller let the motor make 45lbs of boost. It blew a charge pipe off inside the car and blew the cores out of the IC. Thanks to Modular Head Shop we cut the tanks off my old IC and welded new cores them. This little motor was struggling to spool this new turbo so FTI built me a new converter over night and got it put in a hour before loading it in the trailer to head to GA. Little did I know I broke the converter before ever making it to GA and I hurt a head gasket with the 45lb boost mishap.

The car was extremely lazy and wouldn't front half for shit. With the converter welded together there was no torque multiplication so it was actually acting like a clutch. It was not happy and neither was I. I did manage to go 8.20's that week, finished 2nd in True Street, and was #6 qualifier in King of The 4V. The trans was making all kinds of noise and the fluid was burnt to a crisp. It wouldn't hold the car on the transbrake and eventually ended our weekend.

I came home to and pulled the motor to find at some point it broke a chain guide. WTF lol It'll get new gaskets, guides, and reassembeled. At some point my black cloud that has been following me and leave right?!?!?

I owe a huge thanks to Modular Head Shop, All American Crating, FTI Transmissions, OverKill oil pump gears, KWS images, and all my friends and family that have my back. Thanks guys!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. rlongo

Dude...WTF. Another chain issue....damnit brother. Ugggg

14. rdakota340

Dang it it's a domino effect for you hear lately but damn 2nd place with all the issues is awesome.

15. Unatural

If you can't go fast, you might as well look good.:silvercup:

[​IMG]#ad
    by Wayne Stewart, on Flickr

MarkFJ40 and 1hcam like this.
  16. blown385

Bad ass pic right there .

1hcam likes this.
  17. rdakota340

Dang you can't get no better than that awesome picture.

18. 1hcam

It is an awesome pic BUT it would be way cooler if there was one of those big ass winner checks in front of it. :)

rdakota340 likes this.
  19. 1hcam

She’s all wrapped up with new head gaskets and new chain guides. I hoping to have my trans and converter back later next week and give her another go.

I went against my better judgement and let my daughter take a warm up lap around the pits the other week. She loved it! I was scared shitless!!! lol

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Chris91LX, silver82GT and Unatural like this.
  20. silver82GT

That picture is priceless! :) :)