1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

"Gold Dust" 97 GT 4v 88mm

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 1hcam, Nov 15, 2013.

1. H.P.Ranch

2. 1hcam

If I over exaggerate on torque output it says 35 spline is still overkill. I'm going to call Moser tomorrow. I have a feeling I'm going to spend some more money.

3. H.P.Ranch

Yes but its hard to put price on safety, you don't want to take a hard left or right unexpectedly be safe.:cheers:

4. ivanhoew

should that trq caclulator not have a multiplier for the torque converter increase ?

5. Unatural

You could always go with COMPLETE overkill, and put some 11/16 studs in there like I did. :D

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. 1hcam

That's what it's getting. I talked to Moser this morning. They said $50 per axle to check/straighten them and another $65 for the pair to drill and tapp for the larger studs. Guess there will be no racing for me this weekend.

7. turboeverything

.6875 lug that's the real deal there.

8. Unatural

Good choice.

9. 1hcam

Hey man... don't come in here flaunting all your fancy shit making me look bad. lol

Let me know when you're heading to OSW.

10. blown385

Damn , and the high on Sunday is only in the 60s !

Its the rain out date for NOF . Just sent a text to Wade to see if there will be T&T .

11. blown385

NO test and tune Sunday .:thumbsdown:

12. 1hcam

I'm shocked Dave.

Pulled the axles tonight. They looked a little twisted. Might be putting in another call to Moser.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. turboeverything

Um those don't look strait lol.. Those are wall hangers.
    May as well get better axles

14. 99TTGT

how much for the 11/16 studs?
    And what is the turn around.?

15. 1hcam

For shits and giggles I'm going to call Moser to see what they'll do, I doubt anything. He told me yesterday that I would never be able to twist them. lol If I bought new axles I'll go ahead and swap to 9" ends. The only down side to that is I would want to shorten the housing to run less backspace. But I don't want the car to be down for ever trying to come up with a ton of money. We'll see I guess.

$65 to drill and tap for the bigger studs. 2 days from the time they receive them until they are shipped back out.

16. Chris91LX

Wow, are those 33 spline axles?

Do you have to drill out the wheels to get those 11/16" studs to fit?

17. 1hcam

Those are 35 spline axles. I'm not sure on drilling the wheels. I don't think so if you're using a shanked lug nut. From what I've found, all the 5/8" studs have a 11/16 shank on them. We'll see soon enough.

I've been tossing around a few ideas on what to do. I don't want to start a huge project that will take a few months to do or come up with the money. According to Moser these axles are still good. They said I can run them up to a twist of 3 splines. They wouldn't verify if that was the axle for the job, tell me if it was going to keep twisting, or why it was happening. He just kept saying Sir, that's the largest axle that will fit in that housing. He did say at one point the bent wheel studs is what caused the twisted splines. I'm not sold on that. I know they're not bad but I don't want it to keep going either.

I'm going to get with TRZ today to get some 9" housing ends to replace these c clip eliminators. A local friend is going to let me use their bar and pucks so I can install the new ends. For now I'm going to stay stock length so I don't have to buy new wheels. I'll either go with a set of 35 spline Strange or Mark Williams axles.

18. Unatural

My Bogarts fit perfectly over the 11/16 studs. We had to drill my rotor hats, and my street wheels out though. I did it so that I could run the same lug nuts on both the street and track wheels. It's nice not having to worry about having 10 other lug nuts to keep track of if I am changing the wheels out.

19. turboeverything

"Gold Dust" 97 GT 4v 88mm

For a 35 spline axle on turbo drag radial that sucks.. Put those in a nitrous car with trans brake. You would see that 3 spline twist.
    I think there is more to it than moser is saying. If I saw that in the a machining center we would be giving a hard look at material it was made from and hardening process ..

20. blown385

Im running 35 spline Moser axles in my Dana60 .