1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

"Gold Dust" 97 GT 4v 88mm

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 1hcam, Nov 15, 2013.

1. blown385

I was out Fri , but wasnt running. Im getting ready to buy new slicks and skinnies before I get back on the track . The slicks indicators are gone and still hooking but the skinnies have me worried . So might as well get both now .....lol..... $$$$$$$$

plus the heat is just brutal right now.

Yes, I have a 60psi bypass valve on the cooler line . I got it from Hutch . http://hutchtrans.com/shop/

2. 1hcam

I dropped the pan to try to get an idea of whats going on. At a glance everything looked fine. I pulled of a few caps and here's where we are at.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. bigblockstang

oh man that sucks to see, sorry for the setback. hopefully when you get that squared away your next fix will be the rear bumper ;)

4. 1hcam

I stop by the machine shop today and showed him a few pics I took of the bearings. He told me to get it to a shortblock and bring it back to him. Said he'll make it right and buy what ever gaskets needed to reassemble it. I'm pretty shocked to say the least. I know we are far from getting it fixed and back but we're heading in the right direction. I expected him to tell me to go pound sand. We'll see how it goes.

5. turboeverything

Was line bore on crank checked? With your arp fasteners torqued? Do you happen to know what bearing clearance on crank was set at?

6. 1hcam

As far as I know yes. They had had to wait on machine work until they ordered the studs and side bolts. I had them build the shortblock because I thought it would be better in their clean room versus in my garage. That didn't work out as well as I expected. I'm kind of a control freak and not knowing exactly what everything was drove me crazy. We originally had a fallen out over the clearances when I picked it up. They were not what I requested. Long story short they said they are .0025 rods and .0025 mains. I requested .0018-.002 on the mains. I expected to have the oil pressure at idle and hot to be a little on the low side. Always had 80+ lbs when hot though.

7. turboeverything

"Gold Dust" 97 GT 4v 88mm

That bearing clearance is a bit wide in that block.
    Factory specs on crank for that block are
    0.00098- 0.0018

Mine are at .0015

Not sure that's your problem though..

8. 1hcam

Ya I ran with it because I know a guy who has gone .0025 and didn't have issues in high powered setup. I'm going to try to get some measurements myself before it goes down there. I'm curious to see where it's actually is at.

9. H.P.Ranch

Ya but this engine isn't running factory hp either.

10. blown385

my cheby is .0030 on the mains .

11. blown385

what shop are you using ?

12. blown385

has it ever had water in the oil ?

13. KEVINS

Damn, I had no idea you had prob's.. I kept looking for an update but this isn't what I was expecting.
    Good luck in getting it back together and running right.

ks

14. 1hcam

No water in oil. Oil is still clean. I used Fast Moving there in Taft by my shop. .0025 on my aluminum block is considered pretty big. Mike has been good to me for a long time but fell short on this one. If he stays true and helps me get this squared away I'll gain a lot of respect. I appreciate the no questions asked and agreed to make it right.

I got the motor pulled tonight. The main bearing part number looks weird though. I've never seen a MS3841H before and don't see anything online. Suppose to be a Clevite H bearing. The MSxxxxH is right but 3841 is odd. Tomorrow I'll break it down to a shortblock and get it dropped off.

15. 1hcam

Thanks!

16. H.P.Ranch

The clearance on aluminum block mains is more than cast blocks because of the swelling when hot, I'm thinking .0003-.0004 more.

17. 1hcam

Well I got the motor pulled out and tore apart. What a damn mess. Come to find out the clearances were not what I was told and media was left all in the oil and coolant passages. Needless to say this motor never stood a chance. Pretty much wiped out everything. The guy that did my work also messed up 2 other big engine builds. Needless to say he doesn't work there any more. He's agreed to fix the short block, disassemble and clean the heads, and supply me with head gaskets. That leaves me stuck with a junk billet Melling pump, tensioners, and lifters. Lucky me!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. 03ghosthemi

:'( :'( :'(

Bummer to see this. You'll get it straightened out though. :popcorn:

19. turboeverything