1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Gigantic turbo, LS1'ish motor, custom kit, and a Nova

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by B4Ctom1, Jan 23, 2008.

1. 73 nova guy

i love this nova.. it made me decide on building my turbo ls setup! great ride!

2. B4Ctom1

It is very inspiring to nova's of all sizes, hatchback disco, and even FWD!!!!

3. twin74s

Hey i gots one of them hatchback's! :chacha:

4. bigtiny454

I have a question for you. You keep referring to the 5.3 as a lsx block. Is this the 2k$ gm performance parts lsx block? Or is it a stock block? I have read thru the thread, and that's why I'm asking. if its not an lsx, but an oem piece that could be picked up for 3 to 5 hundred, then this is impressive. If its an lsx block, then you need to add an extra 1000 horses to it. Hell, super chevy took an lsx block, threw twins on it, and made north of 2k on the dyno. If this is all on a stocker, well then they should throw out some of the boring articles that they, and other mags, have been doing, and put this bad ass beast on the cover! :cheers:

5. B4Ctom1

Its a stock truck 5.3L block. This project, and the use of LSx as a generic term for all LS variants truck and otherwise predates the new GM block that now uses that name. The car has several 8.60 passes at 161mph.

The car seems very sedate when it is driving around town. It doesn't sound or look like anything that runs this kind of time.

6. MONTEGOD7SS

At least for me, LSx and LSX are different terms. LSx is a generic term for any GenIII or GenIV engine, while LSX is the GMPP race block. Car rags don't want articles on how $250 eBay truck motors can run 8s, because then their advertisers don't sell as many snazzy parts.

7. B4Ctom1

Good point

8. chevy..driver

Yep, stock block bored 3mm over and no block fill. And, Tom, it has gone 166.xx mph so far. Next year will be a lot more fun with a new cage and rear suspension. Oh yeah, it still has the stock coils and even the 2001 Tahoe plug wires!

9. B4Ctom1

10. chevy..driver

I suppose it may be helpful. I recall reading about that setup when people first started experimenting with it. Only bad thing is my housing is not divided and I'm not sure PTE makes a divided housing for my turbo(s). I'll have to ask next time I call.

11. 10secgoal

Buddy made a valve like that for his GN with a 91mm. Took 900rpm of his spool

12. brandoz28

this thread is an awesome read but i have some questions because i've been contemplating something similar, just a little more mild :welder:

what do you have for an oil system? is it just a stock ls pump?

are you running a boost controller on it? would that be any real benefit if you're not?

and finally do you have any more specs on the heads?

sorry if i overlooked anything and feel free to pm if there's anything you don't want out in the open for some reason.

p.s. thats a bitchin nova!

13. chevy..driver

Stock replacement LS pump, stock 5.3 pan and pickup.

I'm using the BS3 built-in boost controller. I may switch to something else when I try to turn it up.

The heads are as-cast ports, CNC chamber 4 bolt All-Pros. They have 2.02/1.60 stock length valves.

I would never try to hide any info. There's nothing special in this car IMO.

And thank you.

14. brandoz28

thanks for the info, do you think you could get similar results out of the RHS heads? i'm only looking to go high 8s-low9s at about 800ft above sea level...

15. chevy..driver

Absolutely. If I hadn't found these All-Pros on ebay, I would have RHS heads in a heartbeat.

16. slowboat

I'm really curious about the fuel pump set-up. I'm guessing that the cable drive stuff is used in circle track. Any details/cost on what you've got set-up in your car and any idea how long the parts last.

17. chevy..driver

Waterman seemed to think the cable drive stuff is the most reliable setup on the street at my power level. I even mentioned Drag Week and they said go for it. I may take an extra cable just in case. That's the only part I could ever see failing. I think the whole setup minus the pump was around $500. I got a deal on the pump, but they normally run about $600 I think.

18. slowboat

Thanks for reply. I'm assuming waterman is the supplier/builder for the cable drive stuff ?

19. chevy..driver

Correct. Great people. Give them a ring if you get a chance.

20. U_SAY_GO

NASCAR has required the cable driven pump for a few years now. There's is driven off the back of the final stage of the dry sump pump.