Gen 1 Lightning

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Briansshop, Mar 22, 2015.

By Briansshop on Mar 22, 2015 at 10:54 PM
  1. Briansshop

The Truck:

Motor is mostly stock 351w. Plan for AFRs and a cam later this year.

[​IMG]

The plan:

BW S366,.91 AR Housing
    BBK 1 5/8" shorties,2.5" hot side
    4" DP, steel in the motor compartment, alum back to the axle
    Vibrant Alum Muffler
    Precision Gate
    Turbosmart BOV
    Treadstone IC
    3" cold side

Aeromotive Phantom Flex pump in the rear tank
    Braided SS lines to Professional Products rails
    Holley 66 lbs/hr injectors
    Aeromotive regulator

Truck already has Holley HP on it,so tuning won't be a prob.

Some of the goodies:

[​IMG]

Got the IC mounted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got a start on the hot side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

V bands

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aeromotive pump mounted. Like this thing, looks like it'll work well.

[​IMG]

stillwater and 351w like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Briansshop, Mar 22, 2015.

1. 1966Mustang

Good work as always. Should work good.

2. Briansshop

All wrapped up:

[​IMG]

Had a chance to test drive with 6lbs springs in gates, boost leveled at 6psi. Went to the 16.5psi spring combo and boost leveled at 17.5psi. Much happier. I also added a 3rd nozzle pre turbo to try.

[​IMG]

MCA and 1966Mustang like this.
    3. Mnlx

Cool truck, and great workmanship. It takes time to make things look that nice.

4. Briansshop

Almost made it into the 10s. Happy with the MPH though. Was just too cold, temps in the low 40s. Was foot braking it, if I hit it too hard it'd just spin.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
      724QuikFast, silver82GT, MCA and 2 others like this.
    5. blown385

nice job .

Truck looks great !

6. ducatibrian

Nice pass! And love the truck. [emoji91]

7. captaingriffin

Great pass! Truck looks awesome

8. malibuguy

Is it me or does it sound like you got too loose of a converter for the last half of the track?

9. Drac0nic

You mean how the truck seems to be in the same RPM the whole time by the audio? Don't know if that's an illusion or not.

That has to be some wicked power though, I mean you're talking 10s in what's probably a 4500lb truck.

10. Briansshop

It shifted into 2nd gear early - about 5400 rpm -,just after it spun the tires a little. If you listen close you can hear it. So, it was in 3rd for a long time. The TC stall is too tight for a decent 60', but it's 99% for cruising the street so it works for me there. Shifted into 3rd and went through the end at 6200rpm. Calculated slip is 12-14% up top though,I don't know if that's acceptable or not?

Making some changes over the winter. Getting rid of the Ford TFI distributor for a Holley Dual Sync, and a TFS Stage 2 cam. From 3.73s to 3.55s. I'm not against upping the boost more but...hell, I was happy to see it survive the big end on 20psi on 93,w/m with only being tuned by me on the street! Also doing the Crown Vic swap, so hoping to loose some weight up front.

11. Briansshop

The Crown Vic is ready and waiting. Picked it up over the summer and stripped it down,sandblasted,painted and added Ride Tech coilovers,Wilwoods, and FatMan 1" narrowed arms.

[​IMG]

12. Drac0nic

I have heard of this before, but don't know much about it. Is it a bolt in for the twin I-beams or something where there's a ton of welding etc. to go with it? Kind of fascinating.

13. Briansshop

It involves a bit of fab work. Removing the stock cross member,and boxing the frame basically. Once the fab work is done, yes, it bolts to the frame.

14. Bonebrake86

The CV swap will be a breeze for you, I started a facebook group for guys that are doing the swap on 80 to 96 trucks, so far there have only been a few of us who have actually done the swap. There is a guy by the name of Dave held with team 321 that has made an install kit to help some of the guys with the intall. You will Love the swap.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    15. Briansshop

^ I'm really looking forward to it for sure. I've taken a look at the Facebook page,but that's it, not a member or have a page...showing my age! I saw the pics of your swap on here,looked good. Any idea on weight savings if any? I'd really like to get about 200lbs out of the truck. Thinking about a glass hood/front bumper also.

The kit from Dave does look like it'll make the swap faster/easier so I'll probably try it out. I just don't like how he doesn't send out the rear lower CA mounts out until he gets feedback from the buyer.

16. Pro-SC

Brian,
      I am looking forward to the front end swap, have read about it but not watched anyone do it. You have a drop I beams on the truck now don’t you?
      The truck looks and runs great. I kinda thought you might have gone a bit bigger on the turbo but it looks like it works good.
      Mark.

17. Briansshop

Truck has 3"beams,3" springs, and a 2" bump steer/tierod drop on it now. As low as you can go and still be able to align it and still have some bump travel available.
      [​IMG]

18. Briansshop

It'll end up with a bigger turbo at some point I'm thinking. I'd really like to build a 408 and go 80-83mm or maybe twin 66s, since I already have one.

19. Bonebrake86

I don’t have any hard numbers on weight savings and I wish I would of keep track,but I would say it has to be a significant amount. I would say it has to be at least 50 to 75 pounds, considering the amount of heavy stuff you remove. Gear box, steering linkage, and the beams.

I noticed you have the cast iron upper mount/brace you could switch over to the aluminum ones to help with some weight.

What’s are your plans for mounting the engine?

20. Briansshop

I picked up motor mounts from Outcast Autoworks:

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      Not sure if they're going to work for my motor position or not.