1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Geardriven F-2 Procharger...Season's Over...11-15-09

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by jevans, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ralphg427

Re: Geardriven F-2 25.5 Chassis/Ladderbar Upgrade... ADDED PICS 12-23-06

I just want to say that your car looks absolutely incredible! I cant wait to see what kind of power you make with that procharger setup GOOD LUCK!

2. onefastmustang

Thats not a stupid question, there is an advantage as far as not having to worry about belts breaking or slipping,but the real advantage is that instead of changing pulleys,we can change the gear ratio in the transmission of the blower to a number of combo's to increase power.It does not weigh what you might think.The good part is that it acts like a damper and helps with the harmonics.it is definatly a custom look and will look killer with a hole cut in the front bumper.Should be a great build........Thanks....Eddie Thompson

3. jevans

thanks for the props everyone... Bruce, we set the car up for True Street, we will run at OSCA,OSM events and some local heads-up races. We would like to run at some Fun Ford, WFC events. Hopefully a few other classes will open up and allow forward facing blowers. It would be nice to run SSO at NMRA .
    Esahc, Other than what Eddie was saying about belt maintenance and gear ratio changes, there a big advantage of the blower facing forward, out front to catch the cool,dense air, instead of facing to the rear pulling in the heat of the headers and motor. As far as the packaging being alot harder, we haven't had any major problems so far. The geardriven blower was designed to run several accessories off the transmission and it was no more difficult than setting up your normal accessories off a motorplate. The radiator will be a somewhat unique, but other than that it was just a question of laying out the accessories and routing everthing. We will be posting pics of engine compartment and installation of all accessories soon.........thanks, John

4. blackholehunter

Re: Geardriven F-2 25.5 Chassis/Ladderbar Upgrade...new pics 12-23-06

The way that car sits, it looks so sexy! :2thumbs:

5. rtz

[​IMG]#ad

What brand k-member is that? I like how it fits.

6. tokes

Just curious why you guys are going with water injection on a race car?

7. jevans

thanks blackholehunter, we tried to get the car as low as possible, but still maintain enough clearance to drive on the street. The front was no problem using 2" drop spindles and having the headers custom built, we were able to move the collectors closer to the floorboards. We were limited to how far we could lower the rear because we retained stock frame rails, although the tires on the car pictured are 30" tall.

rtz, It's a AJE k-member, this one is the 1-1/2" dropped rack model so we could lower the motor to allow a 1" spacer run with carb hat and keep it under the hood. I've used thier k-member on several of my cars, they allow good clearance for big tube headers.

tokes, when we started planning this build out with Fox Lake and The Supercharger Store, we wanted to build a car that was quick but could be driven on the street. We could have used a air to water intercooler but we didn't want to give up the front seat. The Supercharger Store has had great success with thier water injection kit on several cars, and the kit was easy to install, and does'nt require alot of room. I'll be posting pics soon of the install.

thanks, John

8. quarterstang86

jevans - the reading I've done on the Afco M1 shocks looks like they were designed around circle track applications. Did Alec, Nick or Terry (assumption it was them) have any specific ideas on using these in a drag racing application? Cool build, it's always nice to see how people approach their chassis builds.

- Richard

"subscribing"

9. Unatural

I've been looking forward to seeing one of these blower setups on a fox body for a while now. :2thumbs: Do you still have to cut out the front bumper or is it already done? I can't tell from the pictures.

10. jevans

quarterstang86, the AFCO M1 shock was my choice based on discussion with Alec and with Eric Saffell (Drag Racing Product Manager w/ AFCO) when planning out chassis build. We started out building a stock suspension type car,but when a couple of the classes we intended running allowed coilovers and ladderbars we changed direction to current set-up. The M1 is AFCO's new drag race version that has been completely redesigned. It was designed around the high horsepower, small tire cars. It has a larger piston and a new valving design, it's designed to to help with tire shake that higher horsepower cars have when turning up power. With the romote canister you can make a wide range of adjustments as you increase horsepower to control tire shake. It's currently being used on several heads-up type cars and there giving AFCO good feedback on shock. I'll post results of shocks once we get car going.............thanks, John

Unatural, We haven't cut hole yet, right now we are mocking up engine compartment and all accessories. After that, we'll disassemble everything and then it goes to the painter. He'll mold inlet hole, paint cage, engine compartment and undercarriage. I've been thinking about grapics for the inlet hole. I'll post pics as soon as we cut hole, should be next week, thanks for the interest.......John

11. jevans

a few pics, mocking up fuel and water injection systems

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. 25-5

NICE CAR man, Whats up with the orange coupe?

13. D. Murray

John, This is the real deal. Anything Alex touches has been a touch of class. Attention to detail is what we love and I know you will have your hands all over it. Be very proud of what you have. I have seen a lot of cars and the way this thing is put together its off the hook. Don't divulge all your secrets. I'm so happy for you.

14. jevans

thanks for the props Dave, Your a good one to be talkin about secrets !!! MR. HOT STREET

thanks 25-5, the orange coupe is our nitrous car we have been playin with, not for sure which direction going with it yet. TURBO ? PROCHARGER ? May sell it as roller and buy street car.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. FUEL68

What is the chassis on the orange car and what would you take for it as a roller? Also, what size tire is on it in the pics?

Thanks,
    Ben

16. jevans

Ben, It's a backhalfed chassis , Comp. Engineering 4 link,mild steel cage, cert. to 7.50 good until 12-08, AJE frontend 2" drop spindles Koni double adj.struts. Car was built new in the last two years, it has 35 passes on it. Rear wheels are 12" w/ 29.5x10.5s slicks. I'll PM you with additional specs. and price as roller.......thanks, John

17. 25-5

P-M me to on the roller price. Got a twin turbo SBF from petty(proline). Sold the car(not the one in the pic) have motor looking for something new.
    What make hood and height on the blue bomber?
    Thanks

18. jevans

25-5, I'll PM you with some specs and roller price asap, been a crazy week with billing trying to wrap-up yearend. The hood on blue car is a Cervini's 4"......thanks, John

19. botietr

John,,both cars look amazing.really,really nice rides.
    Im really enjoying this build up.gives me some ideas..

20. Duece

Love the stance on the blue car! Can't wait to see it run!!