1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

"GAPN U" Is getting Twins

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by HardcoreABN, Aug 20, 2017.

1. HardcoreABN

gonna be a bit...I have sent both High Rams back because both of them were machined wrong - the holes in the base for the cover were machined 1/4" off center making the cover hang off the side.

2. HardcoreABN

A LOT has happened since the last update. My first machine shop screwed up the machine work on my LQ4 block - not 1 cylinder was round and they all had taper. This was a huge blow to me and derailed me for about 8 months before I got the motivation to continue. Had to bring the block to Goodwin Competition Engines to have it straightened out which resulted in needing to go from 4.005 to 4.020 bore and custom pistons....
    Engine is blueprinted, assembled, and ready to drop in.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. HardcoreABN

Bent some hardlines for the steam vents

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Bent up hard lines for the fuel rails

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Engine is 99% completed.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Working on the oil drain lines. Still need to cut the hose I will be using to length, put the heat sleeve on it, and install it. The angle isn't idea, but considering how short it is and that they angle to the rear I should be fine. They are also above the oil level in the pan.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Still have some things I need to get to finish the install - fuel pump, boost controller, CO2 kit, Holley Dash....and figure out where I want to mount the coils.

4. Drac0nic

This looks ready for some 8s.

5. HardcoreABN

My goal is 8.90 with a manual trans.

6. HardcoreABN

So, after several job changes, moving (again) and my first semester of school being finished, I have finally began making progress again. Started to tear the front suspension / engine cradle apart so it can be scrubbed clean and possibly bead blasted.

nxcoupe, Pro-SC, Russell and 2 others like this.
  7. nxcoupe

First, thank you for your many years of service.
    Second, cool project, especially like you are sticking with 3 pedals. The third pedal being the MAN pedal.
    Thirdly, didn't i see you posting on Yellow Bullet?

8. HardcoreABN

I do intend to eventually go auto, but that is way down the road. I want to move the trans up front and put a fabricated 9" IRS housing in the back.

I am not sure if I have ever posted on yellowbullet, if I have it has been many years haha.

It was my pleasure to serve, just wish it wouldn't have come to an abrupt ending.

9. HardcoreABN

Some progress over the last few days. Did a LOT of cleaning. The engine cradle was covered in oil and the rest of the front suspension was just dirty. Have a little more work to do on the suspension, and when I finish cleaning up the cradle I am going to bead blast it to make it all pretty. Clearanced the engine mount brackets and engine mount. Started mocking up the cold side as well. New knock sensor delete valley cover came in as well. Tomorrow I should finish cleaning up the engine cradle. I plan to remove all the excess casting flash and all the crap that was not completely removed during machining.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  10. HardcoreABN

Today's progress. Mocked up the intercooler and duct. Not much more to be done for a few days, waiting on a bunch of lines and fittings for the vacuum/oil systems. Decided to break out the threaded insert kit and go to town. Also plan to seal the intercooler duct to the intercooler better with rubber flaps.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  11. HardcoreABN

More progress yesterday. The High Ram now fits. Snap-on body saw made quick work of the cowl. Now to pull it back out and patch the hole in the firewall, plumb the remote oil filter / cooler, plumb waste gates, boost control solenoids, and blow off valve, and the turbo oil feed / drain lines. Oh, and put the blankets on the turbine housings. All my lines and fittings should be here Friday. I do want to redo the wiper cowl cover so it is more contoured to the high ram - since it cracked and I need to replace it anyway.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  12. Joeyman

did you stay with the high compression since you had to go with new pistons?

13. HardcoreABN

I dropped it to around 9.75 if I remember correctly.

14. HardcoreABN

Slow but steady progress. Got a large order of lines and fittings and my Remflex turbo manifold gaskets. 2o I finished up the turbo oil feed and drain lines and began final assembly. Unfortunately, at some point I must have lost my turbo blankets because they are nowhere to be found. So I reordered them (from 2 different vendors due to lack of availability). They are both the same part number, but obviously 2 different sizes. One made in March 2018, the other Feb 2020. The Feb 2020 is significantly larger and I do not believe it will work. So Monday I will be calling PTP to find out what the deal is. Tomorrow I plan to find a suitable location for the waste gate boost solenoids and mount them. The location I had originally planned to mount my oil cooler fit great before I put the fans and radiator in...now, not so much so I will probably move it to in front of the left tire directly in the path of the front brake cooling scoop. Will just need to fabricate some brackets to mount it. Not sure where I am going to mount my remote oil filter since it won't fit in my original planned spot either due to the rather large oil filter I am going with. I figure between the filter, cooler, and lines I am adding about 3qts of oil to the system.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  15. B E N

I like Remflex on NA stuff, but I didn't have great luck on my turbo application, blew the graphite out in a couple spots. YMMV,

16. 91turboterror

A wix 57099 is a short version of the one you planned to use it’s from a 8.1 vortec

17. Disney Lincoln

I thought the same thing on my last race car. Hoards of -10 line, big cooler, and big filter. I think it ended up being maybe 1.25 qt over stock. Most of that was from the filter (Ford sized; FL1A)

18. HardcoreABN

the filter is over 2x the capacity, so that is about .75 qt over stock on its own. Probably 10' of -10 line and a 25 plate 8x10x2 cooler should easily be another 1-1.5 qt.

19. Disney Lincoln

Whoa 10' of -10. That will have some volume! More oil, more better!

20. HardcoreABN

Not much progress the last few days. Decided to mount the oil cooler under / behind the left head light. Fabricated some mounting brackets and installed the cooler. Going to be mounting the oil filter behind the left fender cove. The cooler lines will be going in the left fender from the filter to the cooler, completely out of sight. Since everything they will be mounted to will be chassis mounted and rigid, I am thinking of using some of the 5/8 aluminum hardline for the lines from the filter to the cooler. Only think I don't like about how I mounted the cooler is draining it will not be practical with each oil change unless anyone knows about adding a drain to the cooler itself....Was going to plumb the other waste gate but lost a damn fitting I need. Ugh....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

nxcoupe and 91turboterror like this.