1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fuel Mileage/Mods on your Power Strokes

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by killacal, Feb 2, 2008.

1. DaveH

I have an '01 7.3 with a diablosport predator (85 tune in it) and a 4" exhaust, i get 14 mpg around town and 17-19 on the highway depending how fast I drive.

2. Snipe656

Something about hurricane season, I got a little over 24mpg on one of my tanks just after Ike, same sort of mileage on a tank back when I evacuated for Rita. I think it was on a tank of mainly freeway driving in the 60-65mph range. Now I am just trying to figure out why my rear brake pads lasted only as long as the fronts and why my tie rod ends went out, guess it just was not built "ford tough"

3. Beatngu

I have a 2005 6.0 Ext Cab SB FX4 Lariat

Stock was about 17mpg and after a Inovative Diesel street tune I can get 20mpg , some times a few tenths more.
    and 16 around town.

4. ShaneH

For the time being I've decided to keep my 04 CC Lariat 6.0 auto F250 w/ 3.73 gears. So I bought an SCT tuner this week from Chris at Power Adder Solutions. Bone stock it'd get 14mpg in town, 17 on the highway at 70mph and a combined 15.5 usually. Recently it went to the dealer for the first time in it's life and they reflashed the ECM. Truck ran better and got a little better on the highway but a LOT worse in town. I uploaded the SCT Tow 50 tune yesterday and combined city/highway at 70mph I got 19.2 mpg over my 160 mile trip. That was 70/30 highway to in town. That's a SOLID 3mpg gain with nothing more than the SCT canned tune. I've got an exhaust ordered for it and have a Spartan econo tune sitting here that I'll try next.

5. Snipe656

Last tank in my truck was 18.5 and that was mixed city/hwy but more on the hwy side and around 75-80mph, still stone stock unless you count Amsoil as a mod. Unfortunately I have not seen the damn thing in over 40 days since been fighting Allstate on an insurance claim I started from when it stalled out going through a flooded intersection. After they finally agreed to do $2k worth of work which was just draining fluids and replacing carpet padding the dealer discovered a leaking oil cooler($2800 job, I REALLY need to find someone who does side work on these trucks) and insisted no way the flood damage did that but arguing with them and Allstate since it was not leaking 300 miles prior to the accident when the dealer had to replace broken tie rod ends, filter changes, brakes all around and both batteries($2200 job, I REALLY need to blow this thing up).

6. tom robison

o6 6.0 i have the juice w/ attitude and i see about 15mph, before i installed it and taking it easy i seen 19-20.

7. TurboTPI

I've gotten the best of 23 mpg out of my 97 7.3l on the highway. 4in exhaust, tymar intake, Edge Evo on highest hp, FPR mod, CCV mod. I love this truck.

8. Tgbstang90

How can these 7.3 ltr trucks vary so much. Mine is an 03 2wd F250 7.3 with S&B CAI, 4 inch straight exhaust, Edge attitude on level 2 averaging 16 mpg. Can leaking cold side couplers make a noticable difference in fuel mileage? I noticed a few of my constantly getting covered in soot after I would pressurewash them clean.

9. notched306

figure this out,when i had my truck,96 f250 psd 4x4 crew cab,5-speed,all i had was a k&n drop in fiter,3 inch dp into 4 in all the way out no cat,i would get 16-18 in town,12-14 on the freeway,10-12 towing on the freeway, climbing throught the mountains to my dads property 19-20 :shock:

10. killacal

Update: I did a kitty delete, and stacks.

After taking a long trip down to Washington D.C. I average 19.4mpg on the way down, and 19.1mpg on the way back. This was all highway averaging anywhere from 75-85mph, on a stock set of tires and completely stock computer. Doing a kitty delete added on average about 2.5 - 3mpg to my truck across various driving conditions... wtf was the International/Ford/The EPA thinking when they added these things?

11. Tgbstang90

Im sorry, I haven't been reading really deep into this...but what is a kitty delete?

12. 93PONY

I wasn't sure either, so I did a google search....
    I think he means Catalytic converter.