1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fuel Mileage/Mods on your Power Strokes

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by killacal, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Snipe656

I always fill mine up until it is dripping out the fill neck. It takes forever to get it to that point and sometimes I spill a little. Basically once the pump first automatically stops I then slowly pump fuel into it and get usually another 4 gallons of fuel into the thing.

2. 93PONY

I do that as well......but sometimes it foams up more than other times....& sometimes I really don't feel like standing at the pump for 10-15 extra minutes.
    I figure the farther I drive & the more I fill up, as long as I keep track of all the miles/gallons, I'll get a real good accurate measure of things after a few thousand miles. I've got a spreadsheet log going..... I'll update the thread in a month or 2. By then I'll have a really good idea of total gains or losses.
    AVG before was 17mpg (varied from 16.5 to 17.5)

3. Snipe656

Yeah, standing there for 10-15 minutes gets old sometimes for me as well. I track all of my miles in my PDA. It sometimes gets thrown off when I get to a station that has a cap on the amount of money you can spend at the pump and that cap is below what I need to fill the damn thing up.

4. 93PONY

I noticed that the speedo was correct going from 3.73's to 3.08's (speedo wasn't off like I expected), but the tune was not correct. It would over-rev before shifting (250-300RPM higher than before). Threw in the 3.08 value in the Axle tables (SCT tuner) & it shifts where it used to. Upshift/downshifting feels right where it should be.

Most say that anything over 2000RPM & fuel economy will drop 3-4mpg. 55MPH with the stock 3.73's & 32" tires was ~1550RPM & seemed to be the 'sweet' spot for fuel economy.

5. 93PONY

No cap with cash. ;)
    Hell....give those family owned stations $100 cash for fuel & they treat you like a king. I get free stuff sometimes. :)

6. Snipe656

$100 is not enough to fill it up usually :(

Since I have to track everything for business expensing, it is just easier for me to always use my credit card and get a nice consolidated year end statement.

7. 93PONY

I'd hate to pay my fuel bill once a month. It'd kill me! My worktruck is an old '90 7.3 non-turbo. I'm lucky to get 11mpg in that thing! 65MPH & it's taching 3000RPM.

You must have a longbed...
    I've got the *small* fuel tank.
    I was lucky to get 400miles on a tank before the low fuel light kicked on.
    I'm hoping for 440-450 now. Time will tell.

8. Snipe656

Its a short bed but at $4.09 - 4.20 / gallon it is not hard to exceed $100 on a fillup. I usually put in 26-30 gallons just depends on how lucky I am feeling on not running out of fuel.

9. 93PONY

My fuel tank is the 26 gallon unit.... I thought all the short wheel bases came with the smaller tank. Hmm.. guess not. :)

10. fordsbyjay

Mine is a long bed and hold 44 gallons. In Florida it cost me $150 for 1 fill up. :bang:

11. JR98COBRA

08 f350 dually. 10mpg empty 7mpg when I tow. No mods. 22.5 wheels is it. Don't buy a new 6.4 for fuel economy you will be dissappointed

12. botietr

06 250 King Ranch 4x4
    Mods are
    4 inch Gibson SS exhaust
    Edge Programmer
    Airaid cold air intake.
    i get 15.8 in the city with my foot in it most of the time.
    haven't been on a long enough trip to see what it will get on the highway or towing.

I love this truck,just wish it was faster and got a little better fuel mileage.but what can you expect fo a big ass truck.

13. notsobroke

i got an 02 f250 4x4 7.3l crew cab long bed. i bought it a few months ago never use it unless i'm towing or hauling. last 2 times out towing 6000lbs i got 16.5 mpg towing between 70-80mph.
    truck mods:
    tymar filter
    straight thru muffler (stock 3.5 pipe)
    diablo tuner set on 60hp

i'm gunna try a few more things to try and get it up alittle more but i think thats pretty good i bet unloaded would yield better results

14. 93PONY

Logged 1050 miles since the 3.08 install.
    Mixed driving, 40% freeway speeds (65-75mph) 60% in-town (stays out of OD).
    Fuel economy average is 18.4mpg. Worst fill-up logged was 17.7, best logged 19.

Going on a long trip this weekend. We'll see how she does at freeway speeds only. (320 miles one-way on I5)

15. 93PONY

Averaged just over 20mpg on the trip. (20.3)
    65-80mph on I5 from Sac (35ft above sea level) over a small mountain range (4300ft) & into a valley at 1400ft, then back the same way. 780 miles total.

Not bad.
    I used to get a best of 17-17.5mpg on the same trip. So, a solid 2.5-3 mpg gain.

Overall the 3.08's were worth ~2mpg in everyday driving & 2.5-3mpg on the highway at 65+mph.

The truck is most definately slower going up hills. But....it's just as quick as my buddies '05 6.0 4x4 F350 LWB w/ filter & exhaust removed (dump off turbo). He averaged 17mpg up with an empty trailer, & 16.5mpg back with an extra 2000lbs on the trailer on the same trip above. He was driving a little slower. We were ~20 minutes behind & caught up in to him 2 hours on the road.

16. Snipe656

That is pretty cool, I was talking to someone last night who claimed he picked up 2-3 mpg on his stock 6.0 by adding the Banks 6 Gun or whatever their chip is called.

17. 93PONY

Well, as we know from the performance side of things, it's all about making the setup more efficient.
    There's an intake air heater in the intake plenum on my 7.3 I've been told to delete for more power/cooler air which can't hurt fuel economy. I've not done the mod because I didn't want to squew any results from the 3.08's. I've also been thinking about an electric fan setup. Jegs has a 5000CFM bolt-in setup for the 7.3, but it's ove $500.... I'd like to do more research on it before jumping in. If it's not worth at least 1mpg, it'll take too long to be worth the savings.

Also been checking out these guys: http://www.schaefferoil.com/
    Had a interesting conversation with another motor shop about destroying flat-tappet camshafts. They swapped to Schaeffer's & have not had any problems since. (5 years of excessively worn flat-tappets resolved with an oil change.) Apparently the good'ol EPA made the major manufactures remove additives like Zinc that are a major factor in lubricity. All our roller stuff doesn't have an issue with the new formulations, but the high wear surfaces of flat-tappets are showing major wear issues. I can't see how it'd hurt anything to get an oil with better lubricity properties in any of my vehicles. Schaffers is just hard to get it seems!

18. Snipe656

Of course it is, but just most people I talk to will tell me things like "any mpg they got from a mod, they lost to their right foot" Meaning they saw no improvement in mpg after doing modifications but also that they have heavy right foots. The person last night was just the first person that I know who had claim to see some gains on a few trucks he installed them on. Since he is a long time friend I at least trust that he is not being a rolling advertisement and some truth is behind his claims. Since my junk is about to be out of warranty anyway, I might try one of these chips/tuners and if I am not happy with it just peddle it off on Ebay, hell I might buy one via Ebay.

19. AndrewF

man i feel horrible

my 01 4x4 ext cab long bed 7.3 got 12.5 (consistantly) when i bought it with 31,000 miles. It had a full 4" exhaust and a K&N filter in the stock box

added a bullydog programmer and now it gets 13.5-14 on the highest setting (never tried the others)

I still feel its VERY HORRIBLE mileage compared to the others im hearing (15-19)

oh and this new "improved" diesel makes it run like crap.

any easy mods for my 7.3?

20. 93PONY

Probably the low sulfer fuel you're getting.
    It acts more like a solvant than a lubricating fuel.
    Try some of this stuff:
    http://www.schaefferoil.com/diesel_treat_2000.html
    Use 1 pint to 125 gallons of Diesel fuel.
    I bought a case for the shop...didn't realize how long it'd last. 24 pints in a case. LOL