1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ford GT power Turbo Lightning Build -- UPDATE: E85 1000hp and Vid Jul '12

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by MISTERgadget, Jul 17, 2006.

1. MISTERgadget

Re: My Ford GT powered Turbo Lightning Build *pics* UPDATE: It Runs!

Made a few small changes, rerouted the coolant tube, turbo blanket (thanks VSracing!), added a bigger air filter, and new tbody and linkage.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I might have to reconfigure the wastegate, the spring is set for 7 pounds but rolling into it showed almost 9 on the gauge pretty quickly, I don't think it's getting the best flow the way it's located now. I know there's no restriction on the backside of the wastegate since I cut the merge out to the downpipe and it's just open right now.

2. bgjohnson

How big is the wastegate?

3. blk mk8

160mm waste gate .... lol turbo smart pro gate.

4. MISTERgadget

48mm turbosmart. Here is how it's routed, except the merge back into the downpipe was cutoff, when it was originally made it didn't match up and you had to tweak the flex joint 30 degrees to bolt it back in, it would have cracked right away, so I cut it off for now.

5. 99TTGT

bad azz! :2thumbs:

6. blk mk8

there a bunch of turbo piping we are going to fix. IE the waste gate stuff has to all be redone do to not fitting well. :welder: time

7. BlackMagic94

The way the routing is the cause of the issue.

Bodies in motion stay in motion. You need to have it 30-45 degrees off the direction of flow or you will have some issues like that.

8. MISTERgadget

I know the routing is far from ideal but at the time I just trusted the builder on it. I took it out again tonight, this time WOT and it made 10psi before I got girly and let off. I have some tubing and I'll be looking at how I can reroute it.

9. boostedoval

bRO sick ride. You pulled into the fudruckers on us1 and 104 like a month ago and ripped it up that truck sounds so sick and looks clean as fuck with those rims.

10. blk mk8

we where doing some hi speed shake down runs the other night. then we did some burn outs to make sure the tires are smoking properly.

11. MISTERgadget

I didn't know anyone respectable still actually met up there..... :chacha:

12. Kevins89notch5.0

I've been seeing this build for a LONG time now. I can't wait to see some dyno numbers. :chacha:

13. 88stangbanger

i would cut the wastegat flange off and tilt it up so it would flow nicelly into the wastegate. i think at that angle you have it now the gasses are just blowing by the wastegate. i would try that and maybe a bigger waste gate as it seems to small.

14. blk mk8

space is limited and we have already made the changes. we are not having problems with limiting boost we are having problem wanting limit the boost to unreasonable number. lol it runs good so now worries. trying to make the waste gate hold 7 pounds is dumb when the truck will run 16 on pump gas all day long. it is not like it needs a valet mod for him mom or sister :ahah:

15. MISTERgadget

Well guys, I finally got the truck to the dyno now that I am back in Miami over the holidays. We didn't get as far as I expected, but it was great to see that mostly everything works right and it makes a decent bit of power.

[​IMG]#ad

We started out with the truck as it sat, 9 psi of boost and all the hookups as they were before. 16 degrees of timing, and we had to let out as the MAF maxed out almost right away, around 5k rpm.

[​IMG]#ad

After the MAFIA was adjusted to give us enough range, it was time to rev it up higher and see how things went. It gained 3 psi by being able to rev higher, still at 16 degrees of timing. We got 625 rwhp and 537 rwtq, but had to call it a day after reaching that. The computer wasn't following commands to add more fuel up high and gave us a couple strange error codes, so we decided to follow up on that issue rather than hurt anything by trying to turn it up higher.

600 hp is nothing to sneeze at, so we celebrated with a little burnout (which the cameraman missed by standing under the light and washing everything out) and followed up with dinner afterwards.

A million thanks again to Torrie for making the trip down to Miami, I can't say enough good things about his tuning knowledge and great service.

Here's the video I know you're all going to skip straight to.

WWI3opeN5E4[/media]]YouTube - GT Powered Turbo L - Dyno

16. bgjohnson

Re: My Ford GT powered Turbo Lightning Build *pics* UPDATE: Dyno vid! dec 09

Good to hear it's still together, get that tuning figured out and I bet big numbers won't be very hard to reach.

Maybe a swap to E85?... :D

17. wannabe9s

very nice , wish i saw more turbo lightnings out there
    :2thumbs:

18. MISTERgadget

19. 65stang

Congrats on getting it done. Looks very good.

20. boner

Shits weak! :D