1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

First Gen Lightning GT47-88

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Gen1SVE, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Gen1SVE

So some updated for the spring, I finally lost the head gaskets again, as I should have freshened the deck 10 years ago when the stock gaskets failed and I ran the truck as my daily for months with the blown gaskets. Sounded like an exhaust leak. I damaged the deck even more this time. Perhaps It will get a dart based 377 or 383, 96lb injectors, new Weldon 1100 pump, custom Hyd roller to replace the E-303...

My next question is the limitation of my Powerstroke intercooler. It seen to work well at 600 rwhp, what about 900?

2. 99TTGT

get a svo block
    there are some good intercooler on ebay
    seen cars making over 1200rwhp with those x275 cars

3. Gen1SVE

I am looking at the SVO or the Dart SHP block. Pretty shure the SHP can handle 1000 at the crank. I will look into the ebay intercoolers.

4. WSLN 6

I run the Powerstroke ic as well on my turbo Buick, mid 130's in the quarter at 3650lb's with the v6. Has worked great so far, never tried a before and after pressure reading yet. We will see how well it works with the LQ4 and 76mm soon enough....

5. 88351

Definitely dig your build. I'm looking to run an s475 with billet wheel, and a a2w when I get some free time from work. Was it hard running the hotside in the engine compartment? Also, have you done any suspension mods? Im looking into running the DJM 3/4" drop and some cal tracks eventually.

6. azstangboy

cool truck, post pics of whatever your new motor build will be :)

7. Gen1SVE

Hot side consists of motorsport shortie headers, in their standard configuration, socket joints from bassani, 2.5" stainless tubing. The hot pipe goes up to the turbo where the oil filter is, so a oil filter relocation kit and extended oil cooler lines were needed. Only suspension mods are long bars on the truck that I made after I lost the driveshaft @ 116mph which warranted a driveshaft loop too.

8. Gen1SVE

I will, may not be until fall though...

9. rockinrhodes

Good looking truck, sir.

10. 88351

Is there any way you can send some under hood pics to
    This content is protected

11. Gen1SVE

I can post some pics later today, it is dirty though...

12. 88351

Any updates?

13. Gen1SVE

Block is ordered 9.5" (Dart Sportsman) Pistons are in Wiesco custom blower pieces std bore, 22cc dish, new in box but on sale as the original owner backed out of building the engine. Oliver Rods, Scat forged crank, Victor Jr. Heads.

I havent moved the truck since I parked it last fall, the car is almost finished and I will start on the truck, Possibly get it ready for fall...

14. TDmkr496

I have always loved the gen 1's

15. Gen1SVE

I am also ditching the E cam for a Spetter spec hyd roller cam from the green car, I think with the cam and larger heads it will be a whole different animal. Only spinning it to 6k still hopefully I can get away with the gt47-88 turbo and the gt40 intake?

16. TTFBDY

cool build Mike
    How long you think the 8.8 will last?

17. Gen1SVE

That was the first thing my engine builder asked, He knows I am going to go through the trans when the engine is out. I guess I need to girdle the rear and hope for the best. I am only running OE street tires, hopefully that keeps the stress out of the driveline.

18. TTFBDY

From what I've read, tire shake is what will brake the axles other than a dead hook. With street tires is should last.